Gibson Brands Forums

Boss Killed Yesterday

DanvillRob

Sad to report that one of my bosses was killed yesterday.

I actually reported to Bill Crown, who was Jim's cousin...but it is a family business.

They were/are a WONDERFUL family to work for...and I'm saddened by this loss.

Jim was a good guy...and we NEVER discussed politics.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/26/business/james-crown-obit/index.html

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.

It really sucks losing someone so suddenly. Racing can be very dangerous and can just take one mechanical failure to change everything.

I drag raced for about 15 years, but as I got older I became more cautious about putting myself in a position in being injured and forcing someone to nurse me back to health. Plus constantly changing clutches, pressure plates, flywheels,  and clocking the scatter-shield every eight passes became tiresome. and rebuilding the TKO every year was no fun either. I sold both my drag cars about 10 years ago and my stress levels went down dramatically. My best time was 9.87 @ 142 mph with a 1.34 (60 ft) in the 1/4 mile. Once I was under the 10 second barrier I needed a different roll cage.... I just didn't want to deal with that either, as installing the first roll cage stiffened my back for about three weeks. But it was fun while it was still fun.

022_4a_medium_zpsd24d0e11.jpg

16b.jpg

• Like 1

That is sad.  Especially when I think of how many bosses I've had where news like that would have me doing back flips!  I can count all the bosses I've had that news of their death would really be a bummer. on one hand.   With a finger or two left over.  Since you stated he wasn't your only boss,  your grief at his loss will be salve to his surviving family.Apparently he wasn't merely a boss,  but a friend as well.

Whitefang

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

That is sad.  Especially when I think of how many bosses I've had where news like that would have me doing back flips!  I can count all the bosses I've had that news of their death would really be a bummer. on one hand.   With a finger or two left over.  Since you stated he wasn't your only boss,  your grief at his loss will be salve to his surviving family.Apparently he wasn't merely a boss,  but a friend as well.

Whitefang

The whole family is exceptional.   The 'Head' of the family is Lester Crown....last I spoke with Lester, he was still sharp as a tack!   He's now 98 years old!   One of Jim & Bill's nephews was in the South Tower on 9/11.  His name is Keating Crown.   Keat told me the whole story over breakfast one day...simply an amazing story!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/September_11/911-anniversary-survivor-reflects-escaping-death/story?id=14479161

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

That's very sad. Sorry to read that.

Was he a racing enthusiast? 

Not sure racing at 70 is wise.   It was probably a charity event, as Jim hosted a "think tank" in Aspen each June and this happened during that week.

5 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Maybe, that didn't cross my mind. My dad still builds and races cars at 85 so I guess I'm desensitised to that.

Awful for his friends and family. Sorry for your loss. 

Thank you....even though I've been retired for 3 years, I'm still on the payroll...such a great company to work for.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Sorry for your loss, Bob.

I've lost many in the last few years, it's surely a sign.

Ben, 70 isn't all that young...and people die at 70 all the time.   Not too many go out in a race car accident....leaving both their mother and father.   Father is 98.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Ben, 70 isn't all that young...and people die at 70 all the time.   Not too many go out in a race car accident....leaving both their mother and father.   Father is 98.

Heck yeah! Great comeback.

I feel way better now!

👍

1 minute ago, Murph said:

Love the hat!

Thanks...when I was making a lot of videos on my iPhone, I used to use different hats so I could tell one video from the other until I uploaded them to YouTube.

Also, my doctor said I need to wear a hat outdoors at all times, (damn little cancers!).

Being in the Army got me used to being 'covered' at all times outdoors.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, DanvillRob said:

Not sure racing at 70 is wise.   It was probably a charity event, as Jim hosted a "think tank" in Aspen each June and this happened during that week.

Many still race in their 70's. John Force still races Funny Cars at 74. I heard Don Garlets is still at it as well as others. It is very dangerous. Iv'e known several who lost their lives. Sorry to hear of your loss.  I raced 3 cars in the NHRA. It was fun while it lasted. If I had another car? I'd be doing it all over again. I'm 70. It's the risk you take.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saturn said:

Sorry for your loss. He seems to have led a very interesting life. You were fortunate to have known him. 

Thanks.... the whole family is very interesting..... since they operate out of Chicago, I would suspect they and somehow entwined with the Chicago mob....especially since they are into construction.    Henry, the original Crown owned the Empire State Building.   The family currently owns a large stake in the NY Yankees and the Chicago Bulls.   Lester, the patriarch of the family was once the richest person in Chicago, (Even beat out Wrigley).   He divided up his fortune between his family, (sons, daughters, nephews and nieces).   He is also a GREAT man.   Working for the Crowns is the only reason I stayed working until I was 71....Bill Crown came to me personally and asked me to stay...and made it worth my while!