Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Cables

IanHenry

I use a Monster or Mogami cable to go from my Pedalboard to my Amp & wireless XVive from guitar to Pedalboard.. Cords are restricting & confining.. I like being free to move around..

I can walk out to the middle of the room for Sound Checks which is helpful…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I use a Monster or Mogami cable to go from my Pedalboard to my Amp & wireless XVive from guitar to Pedalboard.. Cords are restricting & confining.. I like being free to move around..

I can walk out to the middle of the room for Sound Checks which is helpful…

Yeah, Monster cables are great.  I have some that have had no issues for decades now...  Go-to brand for me. 

Looking into wireless as I agree, restricting and confining.  But like everything in life, trade-offs. 

Personally, Monster cables have been the best I've used/tried so far. Long lasting and built like tanks, too.  I went over to jam with my cousin one day and I had a Monster cable with me.  He ended up dropping me off back home that night and on the way home, we kept hearing this rattling sound and started to think it might have been his car or something, so we puled over. Turned out, when I was putting my stuff in the back seat of his car, one end of my Monster cable fell to the floor and got caught in the door as I shut it and was hanging out hitting the road and door as we were driving. Luckily, we only went a couple of blocks. that end did get beat and scratched up. That was over 10 years ago and the cable still works. That was a good testament to me on how great quality they are.  True story.

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I bought a monster cable when they first were available  -  I think it was around 2000 sometime.

It still works and looks like the day I bought it.  Amazingly durable stuff.

wow, 2000 is a bit pricey ... but ok. 😁

• Haha 2

I have Planet Waves, George L's, an expensive Pete Cornish cable, home-mades and even the leads which came with my Roland D110 (long gone).....all have lasted at least 25 years (I look after them).   I am not yet a wireless guy.

Fender - I had to resolder my tweed Fender cable, bah! [angry] Rubbish!

And I would just like to say (again) - curly guitar cables are EVIL.

On 7/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, IanHenry said:

At a gig last night I had a guitar cable fail on me, I've been using Fender ones which are "guaranteed for life"

E-mail them and ask them how they know how long you're going to live. Make it accusatory.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

I have Planet Waves, George L's, an expensive Pete Cornish cable, home-mades and even the leads which came with my Roland D110 (long gone).....all have lasted at least 25 years (I look after them).   I am not yet a wireless guy.

Fender - I had to resolder my tweed Fender cable, bah! [angry] Rubbish!

And I would just like to say (again) - curly guitar cables are EVIL.

My wireless Relay G10 dodad died ! Cant replace the battery (you can, but its not designed for it, so its a faff) I'm back to my ancient Planet Waves now. That's been my guitar cable for every gig Blown Out ever did which is way over 20 years. 

I don't know if I'll buy another. I will if I need to play outside again. Useful on homesits. Don't have to worry about dogs chewing the cable up, but it costs more than 3 times what a decent cable does.

Curly cables? Why don't we cherish old curly cables like we do 60 year old guitars ?

On 7/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, Guitar God said:

Personally, Monster cables have been the best I've used/tried so far. Long lasting and built like tanks, too.  I went over to jam with my cousin one day and I had a Monster cable with me.  He ended up dropping me off back home that night and on the way home, we kept hearing this rattling sound and started to think it might have been his car or something, so we puled over. Turned out, when I was putting my stuff in the back seat of his car, one end of my Monster cable fell to the floor and got caught in the door as I shut it and was hanging out hitting the road and door as we were driving. Luckily, we only went a couple of blocks. that end did get beat and scratched up. That was over 10 years ago and the cable still works. That was a good testament to me on how great quality they are.  True story.

Not sure why, but as I was reading your post a movie quote popped into my head. "Poor little guy...  ...probably kept up with you for a mile or so."

On 7/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, mihcmac said:

My heavy Roland cables are holding up pretty well, although I have had to re-solder one that plugs into my amp that gets stepped on from strain  relief accidents.

I'll second the Roland cables.  I have been using them regularly and they have been bullet proof reliable.  I gave up on the cheap cables.  And the super expensive ones are too super expensive for me.  The rolands seem to be a good quality compromise.

• Thanks 1