Gibson Brands Forums

Concert guitars

duluthdan

A few days ago I was contacted by a major concert promoter - “I hear you have a great sounding J-45.  I’m producing the Aspen Labor Day concert, and the contract rider calls for us to provide Grace Potter a Gibson J-45 to play on stage - might we borrow yours?”

“Cool” I say.

“We’ll come check it out and then come pick it up the day before the show”

Etc etc etc.  They loved the J-45 (2009 TV model), and also loved my J-35 Vintage (2018 issue).  They wanted both for the artist to be able to have a choice.

J-45 is equipped with a Lyric, the 35 has a Trance Audio.  Both are stunningly great sounding guitars.  There are only 2 guitars I’ve ever played that sounded better - one being Hogeye’s Banner J-45 that looks like it was dragged behind a horse, but sounded angelic - the other being JTs minty 42 SJ.  Both of which I offered to buy, only to have my offers kicked to the curb (oh well).

Hearing horror stories of lost guitars, I dropped an Apple AirTag into each case.

I have pictures of Grace Potter playing the J-45 on stage for almost her entire show.  No idea if any other acts used the J-35 or not - I didn’t go to the 3 day event.

I did witness the Airtags going around backstage and on stage for three days.

Got the guitars back this morning.

The J-35 is tuned in open “G” and strung with Curt Mangan lights.  10s

The J-45 is in standard tuning, also strung with 10s

To me they both sound like shite. 10s ?  Really ? But, I guess “the artist” loved them.  Elevens maybe, but tens?   

The guitar tech was kind enough to coil up  and put the round core Thomaasik 12 gauge strings, that were on the J45 ,back in the case pocket, and include a brand new set of Curt Mangan 10s.  Did the same on the 35 - and included someones strange black strap, and a bit of brand new buckle rash on the back.

Anyone want a couple sets of Curt Mangan 10 gauge strings, and a black guitar strap that might have Grace Potter’s or Dave Grohl’s DNA on it?  You pay the shipping, and they’re yours.

Happy end of summer folks.

Strum on, Smile Fierce!!!

https://imgur.com/a/kLsnpCm

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 6.37.30 PM.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Fine and intriguing story ^ Something tells me this G. Potter was seen and shown here playing a Hummingbird and a pair of faded jeans some 10 years ago. I may be wrong. 

But how grand of you to send off your guitars. Hope some film shows up on the Tube in the days to come. If yes, please post it here. 

9 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I don’t know what I would have done in your shoes. I probably would have accommodated. I love that you have an awesome story showing your guitar living… and this might be sexist, but I’d lend to a lady star before a man star. Or it might be just safer.

Guys have bigger belt buckles.  At least they use to.  (Is THAT safer to say?)

22 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Fine and intriguing story ^ Something tells me this G. Potter was seen and shown here playing a Hummingbird and a pair of faded jeans some 10 years ago. I may be wrong. 

But how grand of you to send off your guitars. Hope some film shows up on the Tube in the days to come. If yes, please post it here. 

I posted it - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals with "Paris" with acoustics...err....from 12 years ago! Sensational! All Gibson band, I think....err, probably the guitars are all borrowed! Don't know that.

If Grace asked me for my acoustics, she could not only HAVE them, but probably keep them. And my cars as well! (oh oh, I don't have a Hummingbird - will my 2006 Cherry Dove do, Grace?) 😁

Great work, Dan!

Vid:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I posted it - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals with "Paris" with acoustics...err....from 12 years ago! Sensational!

O great - though I mostly remember this one - where the guy plays the Bird, , , which also happens in the hotel room home-video which was one here too. 

I don't find it likely that she's still around. Platoons of men must have eaten her up long time ago. . 

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I don't find it likely that she's still around. Platoons of men must have eaten her up long time ago. . 

Or vice versa.

D.Dan- good news/bad news: your guitar got relic'ed by Grace Potter. Maybe she's saving up for a J-45 of her own. Or maybe she can get the deal that Mr Jinder had, and get Gibson to have her as an endorser, and provide her with a guitar.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Or vice versa.

You're right - it probably was  an orgy*

*first time this word is used on the Board

On 9/5/2023 at 3:51 PM, duluthdan said:

A few days ago I was contacted by a major concert promoter - “I hear you have a great sounding J-45.  I’m producing the Aspen Labor Day concert, and the contract rider calls for us to provide Grace Potter a Gibson J-45 to play on stage - might we borrow yours?”

“Cool” I say.

“We’ll come check it out and then come pick it up the day before the show”

Etc etc etc.  They loved the J-45 (2009 TV model), and also loved my J-35 Vintage (2018 issue).  They wanted both for the artist to be able to have a choice.

J-45 is equipped with a Lyric, the 35 has a Trance Audio.  Both are stunningly great sounding guitars.  There are only 2 guitars I’ve ever played that sounded better - one being Hogeye’s Banner J-45 that looks like it was dragged behind a horse, but sounded angelic - the other being JTs minty 42 SJ.  Both of which I offered to buy, only to have my offers kicked to the curb (oh well).

Hearing horror stories of lost guitars, I dropped an Apple AirTag into each case.

I have pictures of Grace Potter playing the J-45 on stage for almost her entire show.  No idea if any other acts used the J-35 or not - I didn’t go to the 3 day event.

I did witness the Airtags going around backstage and on stage for three days.

Got the guitars back this morning.

The J-35 is tuned in open “G” and strung with Curt Mangan lights.  10s

The J-45 is in standard tuning, also strung with 10s

To me they both sound like shite. 10s ?  Really ? But, I guess “the artist” loved them.  Elevens maybe, but tens?   

The guitar tech was kind enough to coil up  and put the round core Thomaasik 12 gauge strings, that were on the J45 ,back in the case pocket, and include a brand new set of Curt Mangan 10s.  Did the same on the 35 - and included someones strange black strap, and a bit of brand new buckle rash on the back.

Anyone want a couple sets of Curt Mangan 10 gauge strings, and a black guitar strap that might have Grace Potter’s or Dave Grohl’s DNA on it?  You pay the shipping, and they’re yours.

Happy end of summer folks.

Strum on, Smile Fierce!!!

https://imgur.com/a/kLsnpCm

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 6.37.30 PM.jpeg

Cool story!

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You're right - it probably was  an orgy*

*first time this word is used on the Board

Curious, yet very studious of you to research that in forum archives. I could've sworn I'd mentioned "orgy of overtones" as a reason for parting ways with my D-41. Then again, maybe not.

But, to return to Grace- is this how Bonnie Raitt came across back in the day?

14 hours ago, 62burst said:

Or vice versa.

D.Dan- good news/bad news: your guitar got relic'ed by Grace Potter. Maybe she's saving up for a J-45 of her own. Or maybe she can get the deal that Mr Jinder had, and get Gibson to have her as an endorser, and provide her with a guitar.

Indeed, you have to wonder why an artist of her magnitude doesn’t have an endorsement deal-maybe Gibson aren’t doing that nowadays but I’m sure she would qualify. There are people who live in my house who don’t know who I am, so I’m sure GP is more popular than that!!

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:51 PM, duluthdan said:

Didn't you loan out your J45 Legend a few years back?

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Curious, yet very studious of you to research that in forum archives. I could've sworn I'd mentioned "orgy of overtones" as a reason for parting ways with my D-41. Then again, maybe not.

More like it!

🍸

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

Hahe, , , bet yoo did. A distant echo tells me you wrote"an otherly orgy of organic organ-like overtones".                                         

My fantasy may run astray there.   

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

Remember seeing Raitt just around the corner from here in that period. It was a Monday, , , but she soon turned into something 8th. . 

And that is a fact !

• Haha 1