Gibson Brands Forums

İf you could give Gibson a guitar idea what would it be?

random human

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

The Les Paul Ultra Light.

Mahogany neck-thru-body design for strength, but nitro-coated balsa wood cap, sides, and back.

5 lbs, 10 ounces average manufactured weight, for old guys with bad back and sore shoulders.

😜

AKA.....Chromyte.  Already used in centre block of LP Studio Lite (I think), also in a Gibson made for Billy Gibbons.

However the thin LP shape is a winner [thumbup] anyway IMO as I'm an oldie too.  Also the L-4S, L-6 and Ron Wood L-5S.

And the ES 139.  Single cutaway, thin, no f holes.

In 2013 they did examples of every electric model in gloss ebony black - I had a photo of them all.  Looked incredible.

So they should do that again every year or so with a different colour; that year's colour would be an option for every electric model - without any artificial ageing.

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 1

Lower prices and stop making 45 versions of every model. A Special, Studio  and Standard should be able to get anyone what they need. If not there is the Custom Shop or M2M.

On Gibson's site there are 21 rows of Les Pauls with 4 in each row. Math is hard but even I know that's a lot of models. Now a few are TM Aged ones, but still they are there to purchase. 

There are 3 rows of Original LP's, 2 rows of Modern's, 3 rows of Exclusives, 4  rows of Artists,  6 rows of Custom Shop jobs, and 3 rows of TM Lab models. 

There are only 30 total SG's. 31 if you count the bass. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree.  When even the experts here get tangled up in their underwear trying to figure out the difference between Historic, Vintage, True Vintage, '42,  '43,  Inspired By Gibson and Endorsed versions - just for one model ....  it might be time to call the Marketing Department in out of the parking lot. 

I think it would be cool if the regular SG standard had a more properly shaped body. The front bevels in the cutaways should follow the pickguard shape more closely and the “horns” should taper down thinner at the tips

I understand implementing any change is expensive, but once that change is made it shouldn’t cost any more to shape the thing more nicely. 

If I walked into a guitar store and saw a beautifully shaped SG standard for less than $1,500 I would most likely buy one outright. Don’t do anything dorky on it. You know what we want. Trapezoid inlays, bound fretboard, humbuckers, TOM, half guard or batwing are both great but don’t get dorky and put rings on a batwing. Whatever you call that inlay thing on the headstock is already cool and should not be messed with either 

Basically what they are doing with the LP standard they should be doing with the SG standard 

I think it would be WAY COOL if Gibson would create a QC department. Then, it would be even WAY COOLER if they taught the people who work in that department how to do actual QC stuff. I don't know - like make sure the tuner mounting screws and nuts were tight. Maybe stuff like try to keep the red stain on the neck from leeching into the surrounding materials thus turning them pink. And maybe how to properly cut nut slots. You know - stuff like that. 

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree.  When even the experts here get tangled up in their underwear trying to figure out the difference between Historic, Vintage, True Vintage, '42,  '43,  Inspired By Gibson and Endorsed versions - just for one model ....  it might be time to call the Marketing Department in out of the parking lot. 

I think they are really all the same, and they just give them different names to sound impressive. There seriously can't be 4 x 21 = 81, 81 different specs for all the LP's. Lots of overlap. 

Hey mine has a Hog body. Me too.

Hey mine has a Maple cap. Me too.

Hey mine has a Hog neck. Me too.

Hey mine has a RW fretboard. Me too.

Hey mine has a neck you could hit a home run with. Not me I  got the skinny one like my jeans.

Hey mine has a weight relief. Not mine you sissy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

actually I think they're doing just fine ...

yeah, when you consider that (list price, before any retail discounts) an SG Standard in cherry is $1799 and a Les Paul Studio in dark wine red is $1699, and that there are less expensive models available below that, it seems pretty good these days for US made gigging guitars. [thumbup]

The more exclusive/individual stuff costs more but that's kind of irrelevant unless you want somethings specific to collect, so I don't really care re those. 

Not sure if they still make Byrdlands?

12 hours ago, 'Scales said:

yeah, when you consider that (list price, before any retail discounts) an SG Standard in cherry is $1799 and a Les Paul Studio in dark wine red is $1699, and that there are less expensive models available below that, it seems pretty good these days for US made gigging guitars. [thumbup]

The more exclusive/individual stuff costs more but that's kind of irrelevant unless you want somethings specific to collect, so I don't really care re those. 

Not sure if they still make Byrdlands?

yep, I agree. all things considered their prices for standard production guitars aren't insane like PRS and as far as their actual designs, I don't have anything to offer.  I wouldn't mind seeing a reissue L5-S. I always liked them.  I imagine that would be pricey. the used ones are up there ...

I think they come up with enough stuff all by themselves and don't need our help. It was comical when Henry was King all the crazy stuff that got made (and not just guitars). I miss that crazy Argentinian. 

Okay if you were not in G 'N' R make a stupid face for the  camera. If you were in G 'N' R stand there and look cool.

SVsNZYy.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

The Gibson Firebird VII Brian Jones is playing.. 

Brian got the nice ones.

Who remembers they made a Slash FB. Yep he has all the sig models, FB's, of course 15 LP's, a J-45 and an ESD-1275. He has to have the most sig models of any player from any company. 

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Slash-Firebird.aspx

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Brian got the nice ones.

Who remembers they made a Slash FB. Yep he has all the sig models, FB's, of course 15 LP's, a J-45 and an ESD-1275. He has to have the most sig models of any player from any company. 

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Slash-Firebird.aspx

For what reason I’ll never know.. I could see him having maybe one but all the sig models & paying him for a Record deal? Crazy!

Got to really love Slash to want this one…

https://reverb.com/item/73927553-1997-gibson-custom-shop-slash-snakepit-les-paul-cranberry-near-mint-w-case-yamano?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=73927553

Not that Gibson is selling this one, but they make these limited runs that people sell for CRAZY money. It’s a regular LP with different paint - priced as high as a high-end vehicle today. Have fun with this one…

59 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

It’s a regular LP with different paint - priced as high as a high-end vehicle today. 

Isn't that every sig model and LTD model? A tweak here or there,or a guitar with old specs, and its now priced at thousands of dollars over what it should be.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper