Gibson Brands Forums

No "Import" Christmas

Murph

I'm only buying Christmas presents made in my home country (which is the U.S.A.) this year.  It's good for jobs, good for the economy and I'm tired of supporting certain Communist economies. I realize that for some products, some of us may have no choice, but I DO have a choice for this Christmas season.

Unfortunately, no one in my family will be getting a new Gibson for Christmas this year from me. Maybe next year. They weren't THAT good....

I'm also going to buy local as much as possible, and have already gotten some nice Case bone handled pocket knives locally.

Feel free to list any ideas that are made in your home country that are good gift ideas. Here are just a few that I've used to get started.

Case, (some) Spyderco, (some) Buck knives and then there are Channellock and Snap-On tools for the guys since Craftsman has jumped the pond., American Benchmade has some cool stuff, leather wallets, belts and such. Charmed Life and Blue Chip picks. GHS strings. Round House jeans are still made in U.S.A. I'm still researching jewelry, jewelers and such and must be careful here....

What ya got?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Nothing in the above lists that anyone I would need to buy Christmas gifts for would want, need or could even legally own (firearms for Christmas????????)

But books. They're a different story.

And published on this side of the ocean too.

RBSinTo

12 years of Catholic school and I'll probably go to hell for this post.

If the apostles had AK-47s, Jesus would be alive today.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gearbasher said:

12 years of Catholic school and I'll probably go to hell for this post.

If the apostles had AK-47s, Jesus would be alive today.

gearbasher,

Not being Catholic, I neither suffer from the associated guilt, nor believe in eternal damnation, so I don't fear divine retribution for saying this.

The disciples would have purchased their Kalashnikovs in the arms bazaar in Kabul, while Pilate's soldiers who would have been similarly armed, would have been issued them from the gunsmith's factories of Rome.

So perhaps Jesus would not have survived the firefight.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 2

I don't think a gun is a suitable present unless it's a BB gun for putting each other's eyes out around the Christmas tree.

Stetson makes a wide variety of hats and Red Wing Heritage boots are really good.  Vanson and Fox Creek make real good motorcycle leathers, JRC Gloves would be appreciated by anybody.

There are still lots of domestic audio companies for those who like stereo gear.

For less expensive items, Zippo makes all sorts of lighters and there are plenty of American artists releasing music.

So far, my shopping has consisted of bottles of Louis Jadot wine from France rung up by a gen-u-wine 'Merican clerk.

8 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm only buying Christmas presents made in my home country (which is the U.S.A.) this year.  It's good for jobs, good for the economy and I'm tired of supporting certain Communist economies. I realize that for some products, some of us may have no choice, but I DO have a choice for this Christmas season.

Unfortunately, no one in my family will be getting a new Gibson for Christmas this year from me. Maybe next year. They weren't THAT good....

I'm also going to buy local as much as possible, and have already gotten some nice Case bone handled pocket knives locally.

Feel free to list any ideas that are made in your home country that are good gift ideas. Here are just a few that I've used to get started.

Case, (some) Spyderco, (some) Buck knives and then there are Channellock and Snap-On tools for the guys since Craftsman has jumped the pond., American Benchmade has some cool stuff, leather wallets, belts and such. Charmed Life and Blue Chip picks. GHS strings. Round House jeans are still made in U.S.A. I'm still researching jewelry, jewelers and such and must be careful here....

What ya got?

I make these at my shop here in the US:  https://redbeartrading.com/

The others are mere copies!

Edited by 10PoundLester
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I don't think a gun is a suitable present unless it's a BB gun for putting each other's eyes out around the Christmas tree.

In the early 80s my father gave me his Springfield Reliance 22, that he got new in 1934 for $2.98. He used a couple big mailing tubes and a box or two to wrap it up in. Once wrapped, it looked like the world’s largest bicycle pump. 

Ralphie’s best present was being able to paste Scut Farkus in the mouth about 37 times and making him cry like a little b_____!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Ralphie’s best present was being able to paste Scut Farkus in the mouth about 37 times and making him cry like a little b_____!

LOL!!  excellent Scott!

and Murph, good for you

I feel the same way you do.  We do that as much as humanly possible.  when you have young grandchildren, the reality is we're limited.

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Most people I buy for will probably be getting a good bottle of Scotch. 

I'll take 3. Especially The MacCallan.  I stated drinking Scotch when 12 YO Mac was $30 a bottle.  Just like when LP's were only $599. I long for the good old days.

Scotch though is not very American. 

Last week, Sgt.Pepper's Macallan - a rare 100 y/o bottle sold for $2.7M.   A new record for a bottle of spirits. 

Four years ago,  prices went up significantly on Scotch.  

A 25% tariff on single malt Scotch whisky exports to the United States is being introduced on Friday.

The new duty is among measures being imposed by the US in retaliation against EU subsidies given to aircraft maker Airbus.

Tariffs -   would be nice if we saw them broken out or disclosed on things we buy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Last week, Sgt.Pepper's Macallan - a rare 100 y/o bottle sold for $2.7M.   A new record for a bottle of spirits. 

Four years ago,  prices went up significantly on Scotch.  

A 25% tariff on single malt Scotch whisky exports to the United States is being introduced on Friday.

The new duty is among measures being imposed by the US in retaliation against EU subsidies given to aircraft maker Airbus.

Tariffs -   would be nice if we saw them broken out or disclosed on things we buy. 

$2,700,000.00 for a bottle of paint thinner and brush cleaner is  a bit excessive.

I buy mine at Home Depot for about $5.00.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

You make casein picks? With your hands? I'm impressed.

I have to agree, RedBear was doing it first, but I've never been able to buy anything there due to limited availability.

I started making them in 2000. It took me a few years to get my production chain figured out. I figure I've made somewhere around 40,000 picks or so over the past 20 years. The availability is limited because I'm a one-man shop and I'm getting old and arthritis is plaguing my hands.  Sometimes I'm unable to do what needs to be done to get the picks out faster and maintain the quality. My wife does all the books and shipping and customer service. I do all the shop stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3