Gibson Brands Forums

No "Import" Christmas

Murph

22 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

That is why I try my best to not engage in the exploitive offshore economy. I don’t feel I’m entitled to a good deal at the expense of slave labor wages, if not actual slaves, and working kids.  When I walk through the pet store, I often wonder what the third world thinks of us as they spend 12 hours of their day churning out bumble bee costumes for our dogs, chuckle.  

Don’t get me wrong though I don’t condone all the exploitation that goes on in the world but literally we have a thread that is about buying American and how hard it is today to actually find stuff that is pure America. American corporations are international and they are the ones that make choices to have manufacturing somewhere other than America. It’s nearly everything today and not a thing you, I, or anyone else in this thread are going to do to change that. Sure, spare the purchasing for a holiday, but how much will it change. The rich and powerful shape the world we live in. They lie to us as they always have for the centuries mankind has pillaged this earth. I simply don’t have the fight in it anymore to even try because no one does anything to make it change of any significance. We spend a lot of time fighting with each other over here while we are lied to over and over. I’m just fortunate that I have what I do, and I busted my tail to get what I have. In the end, what I have is a joke to some of those with unadulterated wealth. And to note, I don’t have all the things I talked about by spending it on garbage. I learned how to save and afford the things I buy rather than be some credit junkie because I “have to have” all the garbage that is pushed down our throats in this wonderful global economy we share. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Upvote 1

I paid more for my two Parker USA guitars. They make them overseas for a lot less, but in this case, the quality of materials used was better in the USA models.

Gigging for a living, and 13 years later, there is no noticeable fret wear (Hardened stainless steel frets on an ebony fretboard).

Sometimes (not always) you get what you pay for. Unless something tragic happens to these, I probably gig with them for the rest of my life.

Notes ♫

8 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I paid more for my two Parker USA guitars. 

Gigging for a living, and 13 years later, there is no noticeable fret wear (Hardened stainless steel frets 

I plan to use stainless on my J-45 and J-15 when the time comes.

I love 'em.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 9:57 AM, IanHenry said:

Most people I buy for will probably be getting a good bottle of Scotch. 

Actually, I'm not just buying Whisky, I'm buying my great nephew and niece's fountain pens as they are aged between 12 and 19.

The reason that I'm getting them fountain pens is that I was talking to one of them and she was bemoaning the fact that they never get to write in School, everything they do is on a tablet which even has spell check on it!

Yet another case of dumbing down education I think!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Named after a little red animal with a bushy tail.

I used to live in Connecticut and they didn't like New Yorkers.  When I was like six, my mom cursed under her breath at some New Yorker who was taking up, like, six parking spaces.  I asked her why people didn't like New Yorkers and she said "They toot their horns too much."  Wasn't that the truth, lol.

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

I used to live in Connecticut and they didn't like New Yorkers.  When I was like six, my mom cursed under her breath at some New Yorker who was taking up, like, six parking spaces.  I asked her why people didn't like New Yorkers and she said "They toot their horns too much."  Wasn't that the truth, lol.

Obviously never been to Paris 😄

For the adult beverage list we usually give good champagne.  This year we are doing something different.  After taking a couple bottles to Detroit, Toledo, and then Yellowstone and home, followed by another week down there in Disney World, we thought that we had pretty much had a pretty good American trip with some good American Bourbon.  So this year, the serious on our list are gettin

PXL_20210125_142752365.PORTRAIT-1024x768

rct

10 hours ago, rct said:

American Bourbon. 

I can see Kentucky from my front yard/kitchen window. Go there many times a week.

People there say ALL Bourbon is made in Kentucky. If it's not made in Kentucky, it's just whiskey.

It's the law...

41 minutes ago, Murph said:

I can see Kentucky from my front yard/kitchen window. Go there many times a week.

People there say ALL Bourbon is made in Kentucky. If it's not made in Kentucky, it's just whiskey.

It's the law...

What qualifies as a bourbon?

What is bourbon? And how is it different from other whiskies?

For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash (the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled) must contain at least 51 per cent corn. The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, the distillate must be stored in charred new oak barrels at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives.

51 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:
What qualifies as a bourbon?

What is bourbon? And how is it different from other whiskies?

For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash (the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled) must contain at least 51 per cent corn. The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, the distillate must be stored in charred new oak barrels at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives.

Chief,

All that just to produce paint thinner?

No wonder turpentine is cheaper.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

All that just to produce paint thinner?

No wonder turpentine is cheaper.

RBSinTo

$2,700,000.00 for a bottle of paint thinner and brush cleaner is  a bit excessive.

I buy mine at Home Depot for about $5.00.

RBSinTo

Curiouser .... what is your  Go To, Kick Back  drink?    Not bourbon or scotch ? 

31 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

$2,700,000.00 for a bottle of paint thinner and brush cleaner is  a bit excessive.

RBSinTo

Curiouser .... what is your  Go To, Kick Back  drink?    Not bourbon or scotch ? 

I don't think he is a drinker at all. 

When I drove to work today, at 10 mins to 7 am the outlet mall parking lot was already full of cars. I see it when I get off the highway on my way in.

I can't imagine how many Karen's had fist fights to be the first to get the newest, and bestest toy that is out this year at Wallyworld.

I'm shopping from here on out by using the mouse on the computer. It said it was from 9 hours ago.  

And all these people need sexy undergarments at VS? I hope those are American made see though crochless panties. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, SteveFord said:

You should see them when they try to board the plane to Cancun when their crappy power grid goes down.

I used to live in Puerto Rico. Try boarding when there is power. Once they let people  board there is no system, just everyone push their way to the ticket taker. Who cares if you were already in a line. This is my Isla. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

RBSinTo

fyp.,

Tonic water with lemon or lime.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

You should see them when they try to board the plane to Cancun when their crappy power grid goes down.

We just power up our banned gas stoves and heaters.  Media blows everything out of perspective: Riot in Walmart - lasts 10 minutes. But mostly peaceful protests in Portland, Seattle, etc. last three months.      In other states, folks had already bought alternate power generators decades ago.   One-third of my neighbors have them now.  Probably be 4 or 5 years before they need them.