Gibson Brands Forums

How Tom Murphy relics guitars

Rabs

So all I need is a rail road spike, keys, washers, and a box of old rusty stuff and I'm a relic'er?

I'm more put a guitar on the ground and throw handfuls of pennies at it kind of guy. Shhh don't tell anyone its an ancient Chinese secret.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Shoot, I can bonk my guitars with an old rail road spike for free.

Throw an old bunch of keys at it for the finishing touch, hit it with a heat gun and stick it in the freezer next to the old bacon I need to throw out.

Did you apprentice under him and not tell us?

Great marketing.
So.   Does the guitar sound any better without a finish on it? 
usually nitro finished are very thin and dry out thinner  . as time goes on the finish actually dries to the point of seeing the wood grain , especially the tops   And binding to wood 

Soo.  Is it the structure that is the sound or the finish or lack of that gives the sound? 

13 hours ago, slimt said:

Great marketing.
So.   Does the guitar sound any better without a finish on it? 
usually nitro finished are very thin and dry out thinner  . as time goes on the finish actually dries to the point of seeing the wood grain , especially the tops   And binding to wood 

Soo.  Is it the structure that is the sound or the finish or lack of that gives the sound? 

It’s not the pups and strings and electronics in it that give it the sound, and then of course your amp?

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s not the pups and strings and electronics in it that give it the sound, and then of course your amp?

Ya electronics is another whole different thing.   I know my J45 with a pickup in it sounds a whole lot different plugged in. 😁

On 11/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got the sad face again. Does Gibson sell the t-shirts like Tom has with the boob on it?

It's called the Soundwave logo, and it was used from the 1960s - 1980s on hang tags, and it's still in use occasionally today, such as on this white tee shirt... 

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GA-TEE-SDWV-WHT/GA-TEE-SDWV-WHT-SM

...and this clock:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GA-CLK1/GA-CLK1

We don't seem to have one exactly like the one Tom is wearing in stock ATM, but the white tee shirt has the same design. 

P.S. Sorry to disappoint, but not a boob. 

57 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

It's called the Soundwave logo, and it was used from the 1960s - 1980s on hang tags, and it's still in use occasionally today, such as on this white tee shirt... 

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GA-TEE-SDWV-WHT/GA-TEE-SDWV-WHT-SM

...and this clock:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/GA-CLK1/GA-CLK1

We don't seem to have one exactly like the one Tom is wearing in stock ATM, but the white tee shirt has the same design. 

P.S. Sorry to disappoint, but not a boob. 

I know it was not a boob. But it looks like one.

28 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’m another guy who “relics” his,own guitars.  Mine are covered with coffee stains, grease smudges, a little spit, lots of germs, and loads of DNA.  Of course, one of the really more effective ways to relic your guitars is to rub it down with heavy duty sandpaper.

I’ve said it before, does anyone buy a brand new car and kick the doors and quarter panels in with steel toed boots? Nope. People buy NEW guitars that a guy abused with a rail road spike, and gladly pay extra for the privilege. It’s stupid but I wish I thought of it cause people want that sort of thing. You’re fooling no one that you have a real ‘59 LP. Cause a real ‘59 LP cost more than all my combined houses I ever lived in. But it’s your $ and if you have so much extra disposable income you want to part with please send me some. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Gibson and Tom Murphy have made a ton of money, together, over the years.

It was a brilliant idea.

Oh I know they have. I said many times I wish I thought of it, so I could capitalize on it.  I still think its ridiculous though. You got one?

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Or did you mean to type what a stupid deal. Rhymes with steal.

Now this computer is a stupid deal. 3 days ago I was going to get on here and it wouldn't let me. I had to wait till my wife wasn't busy sewing quilts as she's behind so she could fix it. It locked up and wouldn't let me on Gibson or sign off to close down.  When she fixed it she said she did nothing. It just worked. I honestly get so frustrated with anything electronics.