Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard or Epiphone G-400

InfiniteSingularity

If you have the money for the Gibson, or can wait until you do, you won't regret it.

If not I think the G-400 is a better guitar than most people are willing to admit.

The problem is that their stock pickups suck and by the time you replace those you are making a pretty decent investment.

You begin to ask yourself if you should just get an SG Special and from there it's only a couple grand more for a Standard.

I would say save up for the Standard and you'll have an instrument you really enjoy. +:-@

One of my friends has the G-400, but I believe his may be an '06 or an '07. Anyways, I played around on his a little bit but even he was a little unsatisfied with how it sounded because the whole reason he brought the guitar and his entire rig over to my house in the first place was to doctor his tone. The pickups sounded a little muddy from what I remember.

Do some more looking. Compare the SG Prophecy by Epihone and the Gibson SG Special for models that are in between the two you have looked at so far.

yea the prophecies are definitely the best bang for ur buck wen epi's are concerned IMO

I found 2 guitars I really like (both SG)' date=' however one happens to be over $1000 more than the other. Which one should I get?[/quote']

...the G-400 is a better guitar than most people are willing to admit. The problem is that their stock pickups suck and by the time you replace those you are making a pretty decent investment...

TinFish has the right idea. Play them both checking playability and sound/tone. Yes, the G-400 plays nice, but I agree with TinFish, the pups could be alot better. So how much loot are you willing to part with? And if you're willing to drop more loot on new pups for the G-400, you might want to scour the scene for a good deal on a SG. Good luck.

If you have the money for the Gibson' date=' or can wait until you do, you won't regret it.

If not I think the G-400 is a better guitar than most people are willing to admit.

The problem is that their stock pickups suck and by the time you replace those you are making a pretty decent investment.

You begin to ask yourself if you should just get an SG Special and from there it's only a couple grand more for a Standard.

I would say save up for the Standard and you'll have an instrument you really enjoy. =D>[/quote']

+1 I love my gibson sg standers save up and get one

If you have the money get the Standard but if not why not try the SG Specail Faded?

I've said time and time again, and will one more time I suppose...if you REALLY like 'em both enough to be having trouble deciding, just get the Epi, upgrade the pickups to some GFS '59 'buckers (you can get a set for around $60...yes, a SET) to un-muddy the guitar's tone and maybe by the time you save up for the real SG Standard they'll be over the suck-factor that plagues a lot of the off-the-shelf Gibson stuff nowadays. Buying Epi instead (and letting Gibson know why) is one way of putting your dollars where your laurels are (just ask Ford about all the consumer input prior to the Focus model), and is a good way to make Gibson see guitars as GUITARS again instead of "units".

The reason not to buy a "Faded" Special??? I have a few: 1) the finish is awful, and I blame the successful sales numbers from that model for Gibson's ASSumption that we all want "faded" and washed-out looking paintjobs on SG's (they apparently forgot that those sales were so high because that model was obtainable for under $600----and in some instances under $500----for a LONG time....duh, you know how many people jumped at the prospect of buying even a halfa$$ed Gibson for that cheap?!?!?!?)....as with all "aged" and faded guitars, just imagine how awful those fake-fades will look after some honest play-wear; 2) the QC on the Faded stuff is even worse than the higher-end USA stuff, and that's enough to scare me away without even a second thought; 3) now that the price on the Faded has almost doubled, it's no longer a value, especially considering #2.......it'd be retarded to buy one when for a couple more Benjamins you can get the next step up, and for even a little more you could've gotten the Standard. Just don't waste the money on subpar, low-overhead crap with a Gibson decal on it.

Or you could see about spending in-between the Epi and the Faded and just get yourself a Japanese Epi and you're gonna' get a superior guitar to most of the USA stuff that's churning out of the bowels of Nashville.

H-Bomb

Thanks guys. Your comments have really helped my decision.

I just want to clear a few things up with you. Firstly, I do not have the money for either of them. I'm still saving for the Epi. Secondly, some have asked about a Gibson SG special. I tried that, and i really, really didn't like it. Thirdly, the muddy tone. I actually don't mind the muddy tone of the epi (to be honest I actually really like it), but I havent played the Standard yet (my local store doesn't have one in).

I haven't made a decision yet, but I really like the epi. I'm pretty sure since I don't have much money I'll get the Epi, then buy a Gibson in a few years time.

Thanks a lot people. :-

If you DO get the Epi, there are a few steps you can take to "clear up" some of the "muddiness" in the stock p'ups.....(more noticable in the neck p'up)

tone knobs wide open........

amplifiers bass eq. no higher than sayyyyy 1 (?) ok, 2 for metal.

mid & treble very high.

best of luck to you,

Thanks guys. Your comments have really helped my decision.

I just want to clear a few things up with you. Firstly' date=' I do not have the money for either of them. I'm still saving for the Epi. Secondly, some have asked about a Gibson SG special. I tried that, and i really, [i']really[/i] didn't like it. Thirdly, the muddy tone. I actually don't mind the muddy tone of the epi (to be honest I actually really like it), but I havent played the Standard yet (my local store doesn't have one in).

I haven't made a decision yet, but I really like the epi. I'm pretty sure since I don't have much money I'll get the Epi, then buy a Gibson in a few years time.

Thanks a lot people. :)

Save up more and get the Gibson... seriously.... find a used Gibson if you have to... I bought my '98 SG Standard last year for about the equivalent of $850 (a pretty good deal) - I say equivalent because I traded in some gear)... that's half the price of a new one in 2008, and I found one that played perfectly in my hands... it had been well cared for in its previous 10 years... straight neck and nice and thin too, frets in great condition, sweet tone, just a couple nicks and scratches - ie. character :-

imo... a *good* used Gibson >>> new Epi

a Gibson will maintain its value, an Epi will just lose value... that's something you should consider... resale

I think you should say a USED Gibson will retain its value PROVIDED you get a decent deal in the first place. A new Gibson MAY retain its value in the long term but WILL lose in the short term. In fact a new Gibson may well lose the whole cost of a new Epi in the short term, making the EPI the better buy for a beginner!

Also some of the better new Epis are far better than cheap new Gibsons for playability AND sound.

Archived