Gibson Brands Forums

How Come...?

Murph

44 minutes ago, Murph said:

And another thing.

How come the commercials on t.v. are still so loud?

I thought they passed a law to fix that, but they're louder now than they ever were.

Most laws seem to be voluminous: for something simple like this -   at least 100 pages.  Legalese to keep lawyers arguing for that many years.  Exceptions and loopholes that would make the tax code blush.  And, special interest lobbies get vague language in the key areas.  And. of course,  the 'regulations' that bureaucrats write based on the 'enabling legislation' is an even bigger joke.     IMHO, TV Commercials have other qualities more irritating than their volume.  I'm just glad none of our kids married someone who produces TV ads.  They'd be the ones getting the part of the turkey that goes over the fence last. 

Some people say they'd run the government like a business, but they really treat it like an elective investment.  That's where the baloney comes in.  If they wanted to run it like a business, they'd try to maximize revenues by growing the business.

Their problem is that some of us are already experts at dealing with weasels, crooks and lunch money thieves from our experience tussling with real estate developers and building contractors.  😁

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Last month's edition of Which magazine (UK consumer assoc. I subscribe to) had a big article on UPF - Ultra Processed Foods. Principle Researcher Stefalee Loth reported that some... 

Ultra-processed foods have been demonised, but they're not all equal. And a blanket ban on them in your diet won't immediately lead to a longer, healthier life. Ultra-processed is commonly used in everyday language to signify food that we think of as 'bad' and 'unhealthy', but it's a little more complex than that.

Note: This is UK nutritionist on UK foods - so the standards differ as does the advice for US.

I must not reproduce the whole article, but will give one example: I'll use the example relating to the OP (bread). She makes the point that because packaged bread contains emulsifiers and preservatives its classed as UPF, but the nutritional value (Walburtons Wholemeal) is good. 2 slices provide 20% of recommended daily fibre, plus B vitamin, calcium & iron. And yes it remains edible for much longer.

She does not say PF or UPF is all good, but a moderate amount in your diet is not something to unduly worry about. It was Brazilian researchers that coined these terms. 

UPF = 5 or more ingredients. These include sugar, fat and salt. They may also include anti-oxidants, stabilisers & preservatives.

PF =2 or 3 ingredients. Sugar, fat and salt

I do most of my own cooking from fresh produce, but use processed bread about 70% of the time and convenience foods 20% of the time. these could be a can of soup or cornflakes etc. Moderation is the key I think.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, fortyearspickn said:

FDA - the very definition of 'Worthless'.      FDA  probably started out doing good things.   Seems like now - all they do is collect a paycheck

.    I wonder why children are reaching puberty at 10 years of age now?  If you sit outside a Middle School waiting to pick up your grandkid -   you'll think you were back in high school.  We have 5 granddaughters age 11 - 18.  They, and their friends are all 'advanced'.    Boys have beards, girls ....   Someone is putting something in our food, and if it ages kids - you have to wonder if it ages all of us. 

I thinks it's all the growth hormones they give to livestock to increase production. It has to get passed along the food chain.

17 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Last month's edition of Which magazine (UK consumer assoc. I subscribe to) had a big article on UPF - Ultra Processed Foods. Principle Researcher Stefalee Loth reported that some... 

Note: This is UK nutritionist on UK foods - so the standards differ as does the advice for US.

I must not reproduce the whole article, but will give one example: I'll use the example relating to the OP (bread). She makes the point that because packaged bread contains emulsifiers and preservatives its classed as UPF, but the nutritional value (Walburtons Wholemeal) is good. 2 slices provide 20% of recommended daily fibre, plus B vitamin, calcium & iron. And yes it remains edible for much longer.

She does not say PF or UPF is all good, but a moderate amount in your diet is not something to unduly worry about. It was Brazilian researchers that coined these terms. 

UPF = 5 or more ingredients. These include sugar, fat and salt. They may also include anti-oxidants, stabilisers & preservatives.

PF =2 or 3 ingredients. Sugar, fat and salt

I do most of my own cooking from fresh produce, but use processed bread about 70% of the time and convenience foods 20% of the time. these could be a can of soup or cornflakes etc. Moderation is the key I think.

I understand that the mass-produced bread sold in the UK would be illegal to sell as bread in France.

I was told by a bloke who services ovens for mass-producing bread that if you saw what goes into it, you would never eat it again but that's probably true for a lot of things.

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

I was told by a bloke who services ovens for mass-producing bread that if you saw what goes into it, you would never eat it again but that's probably true for a lot of things.

Did the bloke mention what went into it? (idle curiousity)

I understand that the mass-produced bread sold in the UK would be illegal to sell as bread in France.

Of course. That's what I would expect of the French. 

I bought a loaf in a French market 8 years ago. It was unforgettable. Vive la difference.

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

Wow.

I've never been to France, but I have used some French bread recipes.

I wonder if the flour is different as well?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Sort of like sausage !     I read somewhere  that in Pet Food producer plants - they sweep the floor at the end of the day and throw it all in the mix.   

5 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I was in Sainsburys on a Saturday a few years back and they'd sold out of the loaf I wanted so I asked if they were baking any more.

"No, we're out of concentrate."

That's what she said.

I 'm baking my own bread right now, this evening.  I know what I put in!

🍞

21 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Did the bloke mention what went into it? (idle curiousity)

No, he didn't mention what went into it but I was left with the impression that you don't want to know. 

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

I was in Sainsburys on a Saturday a few years back and they'd sold out of the loaf I wanted so I asked if they were baking any more.

"No, we're out of concentrate."

That's what she said.

I 'm baking my own bread right now, this evening.  I know what I put in!

🍞

The "freshly baked" bread that you get in supermarkets (to get that freshly baked smell) arrives as a chemical sludge that they just have to put into moulds and stick in an oven for a specified time, there's no skill in it.

19 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sort of like sausage !     I read somewhere  that in Pet Food producer plants - they sweep the floor at the end of the day and throw it all in the mix.   

I would never eat supermarket sausages, the very cheapest ones are especially bad, it's just paste made from BITS meat (Brains, Intestines, T*ts, and Sh*t).

I would only buy sausages from my local Butcher whom I know very well.  I used to make Sausages, Bacon & cooked meats for a local Butcher as a Saturday job when I was at school but they were "proper" sausages.  Incidentally, I'm quite fussy about where I get Bacon from, as most of those are full of nitrates, which are really bad news.

Bread, I bake my own or buy from a local craft baker.

I just hope I haven't put anyone off their lunch😀  

On 12/4/2023 at 12:56 PM, Murph said:

And another thing.

How come the commercials on t.v. are still so loud?

I thought they passed a law to fix that, but they're louder now than they ever were.

That used to really bug me. I seem to recall someone explaining that are optimised in some way, so that they seem louder. That's over here in the UK though. Maybe you could mute the adds when they come on? I did that too.

I only see adverts on other peoples TVs now. I don't watch broadcast TV anymore. 

18 hours ago, sparquelito said:

We love getting fresh-baked sourdough bread from the Publix bakery.

But I have to buy a half a loaf at a time.
There are no preservatives, so it'll go stale or moldy by the time I get to the last few slices.

😐

81Qk0iFAiaL.jpg

That's how you know it's real bread, the French buy new every day.  When it starts to go stale, I either slice it or make breadcrumbs with it and freeze it, it can be very useful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanHenry said:

That's how you know it's real bread, the French buy new every day. 

I love French bread except for 2 things.

1; The slices are so small I have to fish them out of the toaster with a fork.

2; It's hard to build a "Dagwood Sandwich" out of those tiny slices.

21 hours ago, sparquelito said:

We love getting fresh-baked sourdough bread from the Publix bakery.

But I have to buy a half a loaf at a time.
There are no preservatives, so it'll go stale or moldy by the time I get to the last few slices.

😐

81Qk0iFAiaL.jpg

Growing up in the Bay Area at my house a loaf of sourdough didn’t have time to get moldy. I haven’t had good sourdough outside the Bay Area. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Growing up in the Bay Area at my house a loaf of sourdough didn’t have time to get moldy. I haven’t had good sourdough outside the Bay Area. 

This is kinda the "Home of the Sourdough French Bread".

Before San Francisco became a human waste dump site, we used to go to Pier 39.... buy Clam Chowder in a Sourdough Bread bowl.....pretty hard to beat!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

This is kinda the "Home of the Sourdough French Bread".

Before San Francisco became a human waste dump site, we used to go to Pier 39.... buy Clam Chowder in a Sourdough Bread bowl.....pretty hard to beat!

The SF Clam Chowder Bread Bowl is so good. No waste. You eat the bowl.

• Like 1