Gibson Brands Forums

Exclusive Colour or not?

Rabs

• Rabs changed the title to Exclusive Colour or not?
4 minutes ago, Murph said:

They'd sell more if they called it elusive...

Looks like a LP Studio that went on a diet to me. Why does Gibson need 300 variations of every guitar they make?

This one is the same as this one only it has different tuners on it so its a new model.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Murph said:

Profit.

They do it to make money.

They are a business.

How many Gibson's you buying this year?

As Americans we all like choices, but look at the list of LP's they offer. Its mind-numbing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'm thinking about a Hummingbird.

I might buy a Mesa Rosette, too.

Well what are you waiting for?

Mesa was always my favorite amp maker when I rocked electrics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So far we have been beating up the word Luxury in another thread, and not we are dragging the word Exclusive through the mud. What word will be next?

In the past  we have trashed the words Hand Made, Hand Crafted, and Hand Wired too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Rabs said:

Gibson released a few so called exclusive colours but I dont get it.

The new so called exclusive Modern Lite

Gibson | Les Paul Modern Lite, Exclusive TV Pelham Blue

The same one in the original line up of them?? So how is that exclusive?

Gibson | Les Paul Modern Lite TV Pelham Blue

In current Gibson use, "exclusive" means you can only get that particular model and color combination directly from Gibson, either through one of the Gibson Garages (Nashville or London), or online at Gibson.com. 

In other words, while you can buy a Les Paul Modern Lite at any local (or online) Gibson dealer in a variety of colors, you can only get one in TV Pelham Blue directly from Gibson. That model, in that color, is not available anywhere else, although there are certainly other models in Pelham Blue that you can purchase locally or from authorized Gibson dealers. 

Yes, it's now included on both the Exclusives Collection web page, as well as the regular web page for the Les Paul Modern Lite, as you noticed, but that's just to make it easier for customers to find, and to group all of the colors that are available for that model on the main web page. It's still an "exclusive to Gibson" model/color combination.  

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Looks like a LP Studio that went on a diet to me. Why does Gibson need 300 variations of every guitar they make?

This one is the same as this one only it has different tuners on it so its a new model.

There are considerable differences between the Les Paul Studio (especially the new Les Paul Modern Studio) and the Les Paul Modern Lite beyond the different types of Grover tuners. First, the body on the Lite is all-mahogany, and lacks the maple cap of the Studio. It's more similar to the late 70s/80s era The Paul in that respect. It lacks the Modern Contoured Heel of the Les Paul Modern Studio. The fretboard is rosewood instead of the ebony you'll find on the Les Paul Modern Studio. It's also thinner in depth and lighter than a Les Paul Studio. The pickups are the same, but the Modern Studio has push/pull pots for coil tapping, phase, and pure bypass, which the Modern Lite doesn't have. Then there's the tummy cut and matching headstock color on the Lite, as well as a few other differences. The Les Paul Modern Lite is also priced $500 less than a Les Paul Modern Studio. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So far we have been beating up the word Luxury in another thread, and not we are dragging the word Exclusive through the mud. What word will be next? In the past  we have trashed the words Hand Made, Hand Crafted, and Hand Wired too.

Sarge, in the blurb Rabs linked for the LPM Lite, it says "...Modern Lite  is powered by open-coil 490R and 498T humbucker™ pickups, which provide a wide range of sonic capabilities that are perfect for any style of music..."  

So that's cool as Perfect is defined as "as good as it is possible to be".. so no matter what music style - C-tuned death metal through to jazz - then if you use any other pickups you will experience lesser 'sonic capabilities' (?). Awesome! Only buy guitars with those pickups!...except that the word Lite can be defined as "not as serious or as good quality as the real thing"... which is sort of confusing when Perfection is involved [mellow]

So I guess perfect and/or lite could be up for consideration?

26 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

If you take a close look at the pictures of the two "different" Les Pauls in Pelham Blue, you would see that they are the same guitar down to the same serial #.

Im ok with the explanation given. That, the colour is exclusive to the Gibson shop and its listed in two places so people can find it depending on what sub section they look at..

And for the pickup blurb.. Im ok with that too.. Its just marketing, what is it meant to say. I expect that sort of flowery language when describing a product. Cos lets be honest, sound is subjective so what it means to one person will mean something different to another.

It does get a bit much sometimes though, id agree with that. But thats just the world we live in.

6 minutes ago, Rabs said:

And for the pickup blurb.. Im ok with that too.. Its just marketing, what is it meant to say. I expect that sort of flowery language when describing a product. Cos lets be honest, sound is subjective so what it means to one person will mean something different to another.

[thumbup] That sounds true Rabs - i.e. anything that can't be proven to be false - like any individual's interpretation of sound quality - can't technically be proved to be false advertising (as opposed to plain old BS)....unless of course a company was stupid enough to make the same claim for a different item of the same product type.

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well this is what happened in the Henry J era..  They had said previously that they were just going to stick to a core line up but thats obviously changed under the new CEO...

Its a tough one it really is. Produce a limited line up and people call it boring and the same. Introduce more variations and people complain theres too many too choose from.

I think as I have said before. They should use the many many different types of wood out there and produce real limited editions in small numbers BUT not charge stupid amounts just for having a different top. Like a zebra wood one (which they have done before), Ash bodies or whatever. A few hundred extra for a different top on top of the usual price and they would fly off the shelves.

I liked the guitar of the week or guitar of the month idea.

The same thing happens almost every time they try to release a new model. Ohh, thats not a real Gibson it doesnt look like its from the 50s... And the one new guitar that was from the 50s (that Ted Mcarty one), well that was just ugly (I think).. No wonder they didnt sell well.

But then at the same time, this is the double edged sword for a company who bases their business on what they did in the 50s..  How can they move on from that when its how they sell guitars?

I actually think the LP Lite is a great idea and would love to see a Standard or Classic version (like the old LP Less Plus)..  But please not with a 50s neck 🙂   Its one of the few guitars that given the chance I would  be very very very tempted by.

Of all the things I have seen Gibson do over the years, this is still my favorite idea they had.

7FI78Fa.jpg