Gibson Brands Forums

Deleted Original Posting, to avoid any more ruckus

13 hours ago, jdgm said:

Long ago (1980) I put a Fender 6-saddle bridge on my Tele.  It's still there.  I've kept the original.

[thumbup]

I'd rather have one of those. The triple saddle doesn't look designed. More like it was cobbled together from a bucket of bits. Probably why the ashtray cover was provided. 

NGD addendum to the thread.

I went on a Telecaster quest over the past few days.
Tried every recent-made Tele in two different music shops and three different pawn shops.
Couldn't find any interesting old ones.
And I tried.

Most were Made in Mexico, and two were Japanese builds.
One had foil covered single coil pickups.
Just like a few months ago, when I tried a variety of Player Series Strats and Teles, eh, *meh*.
Good guitars, but there was no Shazaam moment of wonderfulness.

So today I armed myself with a Guild Starfire III that I had bought last year and never really properly bonded with, and I went and tried a few Made in Corona, California models, all used, and all from 2023.

Shazaam!
I loved them all, and really loved an Fender American Performer Hum, in Antique White finish.
(actually a custard colour, but whatever)
So I made the trade, did really well in the transaction, and came home with it.

Played it for the past half hour, running it thru two amps and a variety of pedals.
Just lovely.
Greasebucket tone circuit.
Yosemite® Single-Coil Telecaster® pickup in the bridge.
American Performer Double Tap™ Humbucker in the neck position.

And the Tone Knob pull-to-activate coil tap actually works.
It sounds fantastic, with no drop in volume.

Build quality is great, and the neck is of the finest manufacture, with very smooth jumbo fret ends.
It's got the three brass saddles instead of the six chrome ones I usually love, but this one is intonated perfectly, so it's fine with me.

Loving this guitar.
May even go back to that other forum some day.
Just to show it off, and to talk politics.

🙂

YA2CM5Y.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/14/2024 at 2:01 PM, jdgm said:

Long ago (1980) I put a Fender 6-saddle bridge on my Tele.  It's still there.  I've kept the original.

[thumbup]

I have pretty limited experience, but I think the original style bridge has kindof an important influence on the sound

thats not to say the 6 saddle bridge sounds bad, but I think there may be some special Tele magic in the original bridge. I got one of the compensated vintage style bridges and it sounds more Tele like than my 6 saddle Tele 

I've owned mine for 46 years and I've never been tempted to switch to a six saddle bridge. If that's what anyone wants, go for it, but I've never felt the need. 

If something just does not work for me, I have no aversion to changing it. There's a '58 Gretsch on my bench that is getting a new nut because the spacing on the old one was too wide. It's also getting opened up to have a treble bleed installed. Not afraid of fixing something that's broke, but as far as I'm concerned, the three saddle ain't broke.

On 3/14/2024 at 3:05 PM, merciful-evans said:

I know it was frustrating, but that is so funny. I can imagine Sundance doing that. 

Do you know those Pet lasers like for cats? We had one for him. He was hilarious chasing it all over. It was rare we did it for him but he looked forward to it. He would not quit chasing it and crying trying to catch it. We have leaded glass, beveled windows  and the sun projected different colors all over the walls and ceiling plus the carpet. He went nuts over them when downstairs. I didn't even see the Jag guitar doing it but he did. Ever hear a full grown Doberman Pincher howling like a wolf? He was loud and would not shut up till I put the guitar on the rack.  Sometimes he sang or howled with the songs.  I actually miss him very much. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 7:06 PM, sparquelito said:

Tried every recent-made Tele in two different music shops and three different pawn shops.
And I tried.

Just like a few months ago, when I tried a variety of Player Series Strats and Teles, eh, *meh*.

So today I armed myself with a Guild Starfire III that I had bought last year and never really properly bonded with, and I went and tried a few Made in Corona, California models, all used, and all from 2023.

Shazaam!
I loved them all, and really loved an Fender American Performer Hum, in Antique White finish.

Played it for the past half hour, running it thru two amps and a variety of pedals.
Just lovely.

Build quality is great, and the neck is of the finest manufacture, with very smooth jumbo fret ends.
It's got the three brass saddles instead of the six chrome ones I usually love, but this one is intonated perfectly, so it's fine with me.

Loving this guitar.

🙂

YA2CM5Y.jpg

Hearty congrats there. I like that color a lot.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:57 AM, merciful-evans said:

Hearty congrats there. I like that color a lot.

It is pretty, I don't have that color yet.  Debbie says I'm not allowed to get guitars of the same color. They have to be different. LOL

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 3:06 PM, sparquelito said:

And I tried.

Shazaam!

Just lovely.

Loving this guitar.

🙂

YA2CM5Y.jpg

Keith Richards would approve.

Nice. 

On 3/15/2024 at 4:49 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

Crossroads_Ralph_Macchio-696x442.jpg

Anyone notice the scary man down the road?

Steve Vai kicked his a-ss in the guitar battle IMHO.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Anyone notice the scary man down the road?

Steve Vai kicked his a-ss in the guitar battle IMHO.

I think that's Joe Seneca as Willie Brown.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I think deleting it caused more Ruckus! LOL! It most likely would have run it’s course & be old hat by now.., LOL!

No, I think this thread will live long and it will prosper, good sir. 

Deleting the original posts which spoke of heresy and scandal, meh. 

But carrying on forward and informing the great unwashed masses about the virtues of Mustang saddles and short-scale guitars in general?

Pure gold. 
I approve. 

🥲

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

the virtues of Mustang saddles

Just getting one saddle on a mustang is hard enough, simply due to their ornery nature. I reckon the talk here, about the differences between putting three or six saddles on one mustang, should result in bans for overtly discussing animal cruelty.  This thread has turned to horse sh!$. 😉  

three-saddles.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=is&k=20&

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Ha! The song, "Fat bottomed girls" somehow came to mind, based on the saddle size difference.

I still have the poster of the naked chicks on bikes that came with the Jazz album. Maybe they are just topless?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I don’t think it’s necessary to avoid Ruckus. He seems like a nice guy. 

darius-rucker.jpg

Nice enough to recently get popped for drug possession.

After being pulled over by police "Rrucker told police his girlfriend gave him the items, and he did not know what the purple pills were, the affidavit said. It noted that before he was patted down, Rucker pulled a marijuana blunt from his pocket and told the police it was marijuana.

Rucker was booked and released from the Williamson County jail on Feb. 1 after he posted a $10,500 bond. He is scheduled to appear in Williamson County General Session Court at 1 p.m. April 11."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2024/02/06/arrest-affidavit-darius-rucker-had-marijuana-psychedelic-pills-during-franklin-traffic-stop/72499382007/#:~:text=It noted that before he,at 1 p.m. April 11.

• Confused 1