Gibson Brands Forums

Slash feat. Brian Johnson - "Killing Floor"

Rabs

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Wasnt expecting that.

Very nice and so close to the Howlin' Wolf original. And yes, Steven Tyler on the Harp. Tasty. Thanks for posting. 

• Thanks 1

Man, they killed that song.

Was that Lenny Kravitz on the other guitar?

Anyway, great stuff.
First thing I have ever heard out of Slash that really turned me on.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the guy. A lot.
But his playing on GNR and Velvet Revolver always sounded pretty much the same, over and over again.

This was wicked-good.

😉

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pinch said:

Brian Johnson should sing the whole album.

There is a track list of whats on the album

The Pusher (feat. Chris Robinson)
Crossroad Blues (feat Gary Clark Jr.)
Hoochie Coochie Man (feat. Billy Gibbons)
Oh Well (feat. Chris Stapleton)
Key To The Highway (feat. Dorothy)
Awful Dream (feat. Iggy Pop)
Born Under A Bad Sign (feat. Paul Rogers)
Papa Was A Rolling Stone (feat. Demi Lovato)
Killing Floor (feat. Brian Johnson)
Living For The City (feat. Tash Neal)
Stormy Monday (feat. Beth Hart)
Metal Chestnut

On 3/9/2024 at 4:34 PM, sparquelito said:

Man, they killed that song.

Was that Lenny Kravitz on the other guitar?

That's Tash Neal.

This was wicked-good.

Agreed! After hearing this single, I'm really looking forward to hearing the album. 

22 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

That's Tash Neal.

Agreed! After hearing this single, I'm really looking forward to hearing the album. 

Also does this mean that we are going to soon see a Slash signature 335 ?

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 5:19 PM, Rabs said:

There is a track list of whats on the album

The Pusher (feat. Chris Robinson)
Crossroad Blues (feat Gary Clark Jr.)
Hoochie Coochie Man (feat. Billy Gibbons)
Oh Well (feat. Chris Stapleton)
Key To The Highway (feat. Dorothy)
Awful Dream (feat. Iggy Pop)
Born Under A Bad Sign (feat. Paul Rogers)
Papa Was A Rolling Stone (feat. Demi Lovato)
Killing Floor (feat. Brian Johnson)
Living For The City (feat. Tash Neal)
Stormy Monday (feat. Beth Hart)
Metal Chestnut

This is kind of a mirror image of the Paul Rodgers album "Muddy Water Blues", his rock tribute to Muddy with guest guitarists on every track.  Includes Slash, Buddy Guy, Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore et al...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muddy_Water_Blues:_A_Tribute_to_Muddy_Waters

Albert King did a great version of "Killing Floor" on "Years Gone By" and the Hendrix BBC sessions version is absolutely blazing, high speed  - he opened with it at Monterey.

Hearing Slash's 1st chorus of solo on this version I think he has been listening to jazz guitar as he repeatedly plays a chromatic descending lick which definitely comes from jazz players.

So there 🎸[cool]

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Rabs said:

I have no idea...  🤷‍♂️ and if I did, I wouldn't be at liberty to say anything, anyway. 🙂

I do know that he has an enviable, drool-inducing guitar collection; just because you see him playing something on stage or in a video doesn't automatically mean Gibson is going to make a Slash model of it. But like I said, I don't know anything about a Slash ES-335 either way. 

13 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I think the next two releases will be the Slash Jessica and a white Hetfield Explorer.

You may be right about the Jessica. I saw this on Youtube..  Its an odd interview as he has an interpreter which isnt whats odd, just that they usually cut that sort of stuff out..  At one point he waits so long for her to translate that he gets bored and picks up the guitar while he waits 😄

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

You may be right about the Jessica. I saw this on Youtube..  Its an odd interview as he has an interpreter which isnt whats odd, just that they usually cut that sort of stuff out..  At one point he waits so long for her to translate that he gets bored and picks up the guitar while he waits 😄

Interesting they have one in Japan. Probally a prototype they have given him and he has taken on the road with him

Just now, Rabs said:

Guitar World posted that Gibson had one at a pre-NAMM thing, and included a photo, so I believe it's confirmed. Guessing 5k, and guessing 7k for a Hetfield Explorer if that comes out.

2 minutes ago, Dexcb said:

Interesting they have one in Japan. Probally a prototype they have given him and he has taken on the road with him

Well apparently outside of the US, Japan is Gibsons biggest territory..  They have often released stuff that only gets released over there. Some really interesting stuff too over the years like the Tak Matsumoto double cut.

Just now, Rabs said:

Well apparently outside of the US, Japan is Gibsons biggest territory..  They have often released stuff that only gets released over there. Some really interesting stuff too over the years like the Tak Matsumoto double cut.

True, that Tak Matsumoto double cut was very interesting, and slash also has a big fanbase in Japan

On 3/11/2024 at 3:53 PM, Rabs said:

I really wasn't "watching" at first, and was just listening, so I dismissed the first glimpse of Slash playing what looked like a Gibson ES-335. I'm old and blind, so I chalked it up to mental trickery. I didn't pause or rewind to confirm what I thought I saw, mostly because I was enjoying the track. "No way would Slash publicly play a 335, even on a Gibson promo, if only because it would throw a wrench in the marketing message he and Gibson had established promoting his signature LP.", I naively thought.  But as I watched closer, I eventually saw clear shots of him rocking a Gibby ES-335. What took him so long??? He must be maturing into a refined player who now gets the 335 "truth".  Or, maybe Gibson is beginning to feel the financial realities of the successes their less profitable, yet awesome, Inspired by Gibson Epiphone ES-335 line's booming sales numbers have had on the 10x more expensive Gibson ES-335's? Seeing as how the Epiphone Dave Grohl ES-335's were  just released, (even at $1k+), Gibson may have wanted to pimp their 335's a bit to offset the consumer swing to their Epi line, with this "shocking" Slash 335 advertisement. Or am I being to cynical???  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I really wasn't "watching" at first, and was just listening, so I dismissed the first glimpse of Slash playing what looked like a Gibson ES-335. I'm old and blind, so I chalked it up to mental trickery. I didn't pause or rewind to confirm what I thought I saw, mostly because I was enjoying the track. "No way would Slash publicly play a 335, even on a Gibson promo, if only because it would throw a wrench in the marketing message he and Gibson had established promoting his signature LP.", I naively thought.  But as I watched closer, I eventually saw clear shots of him rocking a Gibby ES-335. What took him so long??? He must be maturing into a refined player who now gets the 335 "truth".  Or, maybe Gibson is beginning to feel the financial realities of the successes their less profitable, yet awesome, Inspired by Gibson Epiphone ES-335 line's booming sales numbers have had on the 10x more expensive Gibson ES-335's? Seeing as how the Epiphone Dave Grohl ES-335's were  just released, (even at $1k+), Gibson may have wanted to pimp their 335's a bit to offset the consumer swing to their Epi line, with this "shocking" Slash 335 advertisement. Or am I being to cynical???  

Yeah. I donno.  Slash I would imagine just does what he wants and uses the guitars he wants. 

I was looking to see what sort of model 335 he was playing and it looked a lot like an original 1964 custom in which case he is paying tribute by using a period correct instrument on the track as it were.

Now, do I think that Gibson would see that as an opportunity.  Well yeah, I guess thats why I asked in the first place but it sorta seems inevitable.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Now, do I think that Gibson would see that as an opportunity. 

Seeing how Slash is the Gibson record label's initial premier artist since 2021, it shouldn't be surprising that he would be held to the same demanding contractual standards that the majority of other artists who are contracted with Gibson, or other record labels, are. Suffice it to say, if Slash had enough money to create his own label, or fund his own tour, he defiantly would have done so.  Yet, just like when he was with Geffen, he is now at Gibson's mercy. Sadly, I feel that his personal choices are contractually subservient to Gibson's rule, at least until his contract with them expirers. Boy, would I just despise being "forced" to play incredible Gibson guitars, and get paid to do so. Oh, the horror!