Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Standard one fret end open

🤣…must…..fix!….. does…not ….match…..OCD going on hyperdrive…… oh yeah, that would drive me crazy once I saw it, but I’ll wait for the experts to chime in whether it’s worth getting fixed/can be fixed/normal course of doing business. In which case I could learn to live with it… 

Not sure what 'getting it fixed' would entail in AUS.  But, for me,  if it were covered by warranty and I didn't have to ship it -  I'd get it fixed.  If those didn't apply - I'd get a very small 'artist' paint brush with 4 bristles and a little bit of brown paint, so I wouldn't see it every time I picked it up. 

• Upvote 1

A good luthier should be able to pull that fret, cut the nibs, do a little touchup on the ends of the slot and put the fret back in. Should not be that noticeable. What model is this guitar?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dave F said:

A good luthier should be able to pull that fret, cut the nibs, do a little touchup on the ends of the slot and put the fret back in. Should not be that noticeable. What model is this guitar?

A 2023 J45 Standard. 

The fret end actually sits under the lacquer, it's not clearly visible on the image.

Edited by cshrpminor

19 minutes ago, 62burst said:

That is so Gibson.

Quick- everybody: is your tang showing?

I would leave it, C Sharpe. . . it's unique, and almost endearing.

Plus 1 - a little 'this is me* mark. A reminder from a fret rarely used : Hey, you should come here more often. . . 

But yes, in the big picture, absolutely far out

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 5:50 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Not sure what 'getting it fixed' would entail in AUS.  But, for me,  if it were covered by warranty and I didn't have to ship it -  I'd get it fixed.  If those didn't apply - I'd get a very small 'artist' paint brush with 4 bristles and a little bit of brown paint, so I wouldn't see it every time I picked it up. 

It is a defect & should be covered under Warranty.. Not sure how it’s handled in AUS though? You should contact Gibson.. Good luck..

It needs a shot of penicillin, it’s infected and swollen. All the other frets are fine.

Don’t tell us it took five months for you to notice that,  that’s always been there, right?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

This is pathetic quality control (if the post and pic are legit). A bound fingerboard and someone hammers one fret through the fingerboard binding? Frankly, unbelievable.

I would not even consider keeping the guitar.

• Haha 1

As I just play them and do not build them, I am no expert.  But it looks like a case of fret sprout to me.  If so, it is not necessarily an example of poor build quality but as with other issues a reaction to the world surrounding the guitar.  

41 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

But it looks like a case of fret sprout to me.  

The fret "sprouted" cleanly through the fingerboard binding? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

As I just play them and do not build them, I am no expert.  But it looks like a case of fret sprout to me.  If so, it is not necessarily an example of poor build quality but as with other issues a reaction to the world surrounding the guitar.  

I don't think this is fret sprout.

You can actually see the lacquer on the tang that is sticking out.

9 hours ago, jt said:

The fret "sprouted" cleanly through the fingerboard binding? I don't think so.

What fingerboard binding?  What I see is the tang and end of the crown maybe not protruding but even with thew side of the board.  If guess though, I simply label it fret sprout.  

Edited by zombywoof

9 hours ago, cshrpminor said:

I don't think this is fret sprout.

You can actually see the lacquer on the tang that is sticking out.

I think it’s called S-hit QA and you are the recipient of it. Martin apparently has neck reset and binding issues, and Gibson has every other issue on the planet known to man. It’s the way it is. Welcome to ownership. Only a G is . . .

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

What fingerboard binding?  What I see is the tang and end of the crown maybe not protruding but even with thew side of the board.  If guess though, I simply label it fret sprout.  

The fingerboard is bound in wood. It's possible, I suppose, that Gibson cut the fret slots with a router and didn't cut all the way through to the edges of the fingerboard. But the grain (in a very grainy photo) appears wrong for that. It looks to me like a fingerboard bound in wood.

But regardless, that's not fret sprout. The tang on the offending fret has not been cut back so as not to protrude to the edge of the fingerboard.

Again, I suspect the photo. It seems nearly impossible that the guitar left the factory like that.

I've owned three J-45s and none of the fingerboards were bound. On all of them. all the fret ends were visible. Here's a photo of the one I still have.

Y0g4mj3.jpeg

Edited by gearbasher

9 hours ago, olie said:

Looks like QC was on  a break when this guitar was supposed to be checked. Pretty slack letting it out the door. That's what QC is for.

So for your job all you have to do is put check marks in boxes on this rectangular card. Do you think you can handle that? You can just check them no matter if  it’s good, or bad, and if you can do that after 4 years of college, you’re hired. 

That was a 3 joint lunch. And maybe a 6er as well.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper