Gibson Brands Forums

Just for fun.........

Some consider it impolite to ask someone's age, and perhaps in some circles it could be.  But an internet forum can leave participants a bit incognito as to where each is coming from and there is little doubt that the era one grew up in plays a large part in cementing one's worldview.......what's important and what is not, what is acceptable behavior and what is not, even what is true and what's not.  So to take a roundabout general pulse of the folks on the forum, who was president of the United States when you were born?  Such info will not specifically reveal your age but can serve to identify the cultural era that has contributed to your sense of the world..........yes?  Just for fun and some perspective.................

Harry S. Truman was POTUS when I first opened my eyes.

(........and just for curiosities sake, anyone seen J45Nick recently?)

Edited by Buc McMaster

12 minutes ago, Murph said:

Ike.

But I remember the cartoons weren't on one Saturday in Nov. of 1963 because JFK had been shot.

Cartoons had never been cancelled before.

Nod, and then later, they were cancelled  for King and RFK in short order.  Assassinations and televised funerals seemed to morph into  just another regular thing that interrupts the routine, like the Peanuts Christmas special, and the annual airing of Peter Pan, but for grownups. 

Edited by PrairieDog

Well it's no surprise to me that there's a bunch of old dogs here.............we have grown to appreciate the finer things in life like Gibson guitars.  I am a bit surprised there is no representation of youth..........none from the Ford, Bush, Clinton, etc. eras.  I'd guess these folks might be more impressed with a Taylor instrument because they appear to be a more 'modern' version of a guitar.  (yes, yes......I'm sure some of you old farts own a Taylor or two as well.)

A lot of things got interrupted when JFK was shot, not least of which was a national feeling of comfort and security........the country seemed quite 'vanilla' before that episode.  But no.........Vietnam, the Chicago Democrat convention, Kent State, Watergate.  Seemed like the wheels were coming off.........and it still seems that way...........but here we are, still rolling along.........

17 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

Well it's no surprise to me that there's a bunch of old dogs here.............we have grown to appreciate the finer things in life like Gibson guitars.  I am a bit surprised there is no representation of youth..........none from the Ford, Bush, Clinton, etc. eras.  I'd guess these folks might be more impressed with a Taylor instrument because they appear to be a more 'modern' version of a guitar.  (yes, yes......I'm sure some of you old farts own a Taylor or two as well.)

A lot of things got interrupted when JFK was shot, not least of which was a national feeling of comfort and security........the country seemed quite 'vanilla' before that episode.  But no.........Vietnam, the Chicago Democrat convention, Kent State, Watergate.  Seemed like the wheels were coming off.........and it still seems that way...........but here we are, still rolling along.........

Maybe we can get Johnson Blake to do a slight update on Eve of Destruction. It wouldn't take much.

34 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

(yes, yes......I'm sure some of you old farts own a Taylor or two as well.)

😄funny you mention this. Yesterday I put up a happy NGD post because we picked up a beautiful 912 Taylor 12-fret (along with a 1890s banjo).  I put up a pic of my DIF along with it just to keep things topical. Then I watched all day as over 30 post visits racked up with zero reactions/comments. Not even throwing me a pity “like” or a tease about it being a Taylor.  I tucked my tail between my legs and took it down. Message received 🤣

Edited by PrairieDog

Another option for me as coming from the JFK "group" is Martin - so not Taylor again. But I'm so happy that at an advanced age I can finally afford the classical instruments that I know from my musical heroes and - again due to my age - there are few of them that have played Taylor, but this is not due to the guitars, but rather to the relative "youth" of this manufacturer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

😄funny you mention this. Yesterday I put up a happy NGD post because we picked up a beautiful 912 Taylor 12-fret (along with a 1890s banjo).  I put up a pic of my DIF along with it just to keep things topical. Then I watched all day as over 30 post visits racked up with zero reactions/comments. Not even throwing me a pity “like” or a tease about it being a Taylor.  I tucked my tail between my legs and took it down. Message received 🤣

It would be guitar-ist to assume you were pulled over because you were Taylor. Maybe it was because it was a cutaway, or something else.

Happy NGD just the same