Gibson Brands Forums

Break Dancing as an Olympic sport

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I quit watching the Olympics in the 1980s. I know others like it, and there is nothing wrong with that,  but for me, it's a waste of time.

Actually, I quit watching all sports for that reason.

Notes ♫

I stopped watching any and all sports at 12 years old.

Though I might start again if Kilgore Trout had any input.

• Like 1

While that idea to my mind is stupid, I will watch anything with an engine.

Indy car at the moment while listening to Led Zeppelin.

2 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

I’m anxiously awaiting the addition of competitive nosepicking and a$$Scratching to the list of Olympic sports.  

I think I would have a good shot at the gold in that event.

I had a very good guitar student for 4 years  around 5 years ago.  She sells insurance now on the phone, but I had lunch with her last year. She says her “career”  is “ pole dancing”. And says they are trying to get THAT recognized as a sport and into the Olympics.  The Greeks would be so proud.  

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I had a very good guitar student for 4 years  around 5 years ago.  She sells insurance now on the phone, but I had lunch with her last year. She says her “career”  is “ pole dancing”. And says they are trying to get THAT recognized as a sport and into the Olympics.  The Greeks would be so proud.  

fyp.,

Nothing wrong with your ex-student taking up a career specializing in the dances of Poland. 

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Yeesh. 

Break dancing was culturally  popular in the US for about, what?
Ten minutes back in the 1980's?

Who dreams up this nonsense?

🤨

You had the Hollywood masterpiece released in 1984:

MV5BMDQxNjdlMjctZjRiYi00ODdjLTg4ZTctMTdi

I have to admit, I actually saw it in the theather. The girl I was dating at the time wanted to see it. The things you do when you're young and dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Its not as obscure as you might think. Think anatomical 

No its not.

Not at all, and I knew immediately what you were referring to, but want you to spell it out.

RBSinTo

I'm not a sports fan, but to me, sports are contests that are easily judged with a point/score or similar system.

It's obvious who wins a football, basketball, soccer, tennis, baseball or other contest. 

But when you get to things like ice dancing, break dancing, and other events that are judged on artistic merits, IMO they are no longer sports, and shouldn't be contests. Why? There is never, or seldom, a clear winner. It's up to artistic interpretation.

It would be like going to a jam session, having everyone play a solo in the same song, and then decide who won.

But then, I'm not a sports consumer, so they aren't pitching their products towards me.

But for those who watch it, and those who participate in it, it's good, clean fun. It's just not for me and probably a few others.

Are the Olympic Committee in cahoots with the RNRHOF, and are so out of touch with today and what sports most college, pro's, and young kids play. Did we teleport back to the '80s?