Gibson Brands Forums

If you could be mentored by any living guitarist who would you pick?

nikko18

I was just watching some steve vai and was thinking "wouldn't it be cool if he could just teach me every thing he knows about guitar". So I guess I would have to go with Steve Vai myself. Followed very closely by Eric Clapton or Billy Gibbons.

What about you guys?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOOO tough one Nikko!

Umm...

Hmm who fits my style most.... he's dead :-

BB King.. Closley followed by Clapton, then Jeff Beck, then Henry Garza, then Robbie Roberston (songwriting wizard), and a lot more

What is so cool about Classical Guitar is it's lack of popularity. You can get mentoring/lessons from big names in the Classical world for a relatively reasonable price.

An example is that I am taking lessons with Carlos Bonell and pay £60 per hour ($100). This guy is a grammy award winner, has played on movie soundtracks (including City of Angels, Nicholas Cage), has recorded with John Williams and is professor of guitar at the Royal College of Music London.

Imagine how much it would be to have lessons off the equivalent in the mainstream rock world?? I shudder to think what I would have to fork out for Joe Satriani or someone.

By the way I love taking guitar lessons. I decided long ago (inspired by Randy Rhoads) that I will always look up different teachers and keep learning and trying to up my game.

Matt

Archived