Gibson Brands Forums

Black Monday

deepblue

The car got a flat this morning on my way to work.

Fixed it up, rushed in and was told after 25 years that our jobs end November 1st.

Sometimes when it rains it really rains. 46 and jobless.

Lads your life can change at the drop of a hat.

and it begins...

Ouch! That is a hell of a day. Sorry to hear that' date=' deepblue. I certainly wish you good luck and hope (as others have said) it turns into an opportunity.

Maybe you and Axe® can become teen idols or something....[/quote']

lol!...Teen idol sounds good!

Thanks for the love guys.....It was a bit of a shock, but as far as news goes its not the worst a person can hear by any means.

Everyones happy and healthy and it doesnt get any better than that.

Ain't fun...

I think this is an increasing phenom, though. My wife got it a month ago. But after 60+ hour work weeks shes now finally cleaning the house. <grin>

I hate to say this, but I think it's gonna be more of us in the future given what the economy seems to be doing, and not just in North America, obviously.

m

I feel for ya. My blue Monday involved my Teaching Job being dissolved (layoff)' date=' my soon to be wife left me on Tuesday and Finally on Friday I ended up in the hospital due to my Pulmonary Embolism. Mine was a hell week. I have worked for myself since 2002 and since I have more certifications than the majority of most managers of IT Departments they will not hire me due to the possibility of me being their replacement. Even if its a lower position. Good luck to all; my new horror are clients who can't or refuse to pay for work already performed from my working with them.[/quote']

That sucks, keep your hopes up.

What kind of tires are you running on the car?

Okay, seriously, after 25 years I can see how that would be a real bummer.

I'm very sorry to hear that Blue.

Not sure what I can offer for advice, but networking is always important.

Collect the contact info for everybody you can - even the ones you don't really like.

You may be able to find something new as everybody with the old jobs is going away.

I've found that all the work layed-off people were doing for so many years usually will be required again.

Maybe a small group somewhere will start doing what you did in a new or more efficient way.

Old people/new company maybe?

Good luck.

(Sell a kidney before you sell any gear.)

These are hard times. No job is secure, and if your pushing 60 nobody wants you as a employee, that's the long and the short of it.

You have no security, no employer gives a rip about anyone but themselves.

I was a security supervisor for the state, worked with four governors, blah blah. I was under going medical treatment and was on medical leave when a new governor was elected and eliminated hundreds of positions and mine was one of them. That was three years ago, since then I have only been able to find temporary part time jobs.

I'm screwed. Every job opening wants you to e-mail a resume, you never know if anyone even sees it. If you don't have a PhD. you can't even push a broom. At 58 my life is done as far as employers are concerned.

](*,)

Archived