Gibson Brands Forums

Showmanship v raw playing talent

Izzy

I think there is a difference between an entertainer and a musician.

The prodigy who sits with his classical guitar all proper might beat out the boy who excitedly jumps around onstage doing three chords, but not in THIS category. Yes, talent speaks for itself, but here I wanna ask about your favorite guitar showman.

Example:

Angus Young came to mind just now. Dude isn't the greatest guitarist ever (sorry to those who think so), but he is an

example of a GREAT showman.

Watching Robin Finck made me think of this post, so he's my pick.

Dude is fun to watch, even when he's jamming soulless NIN songs.

Ultimately, you want both. My experience has been that it's nigh impossible to find folks who can play the guitar well and still do the showmanship part.

Next time you play, pay attention to where you are looking... at your fretboard, or at the folks who paid to see you....

The prodigy who sits with his classical guitar all proper might beat out the boy who excitedly jumps around onstage doing three chords' date=' but not in THIS category. Yes, talent speaks for itself, but here I wanna ask about your favorite guitar showman.

[/quote']

I'm not sure that being an entertainer and musician are necessarily distinct and separate - Louie Prima and Louis Armstrong were phenomenal musicians who took a hell of lot of flak for upping their showmanship and downplaying their chops.

Favorite guitar showman though... I'm thinking Guitar Slim. Back in the 40s & 50s he'd wear shockingly brightly-colored suits & dye his hair to match (yellow, green, orange... this a black guy, now), play while sitting on people's shoulders (Angus who?), play the guitar behind his back or behind his head AND he used feedback in his solos (Jimi who?), and had specially-made extra long cables on big ol spools, over 200 and 300 feet of cable, so he could walk around the clubs. He was known to make his entrance through the club's front door while playing the opening tune. All this was way back in the 40s and 50s.

Definitely Link Wray as well. I liked how he would act retardedly cool & have girls come out between songs to comb his hair for him.

I agree with brundaddy, KSG, guitarest and Hector, particularly when it comes to rock and roll. Ultimately, I go to concerts for the music but I love it when the band not only plays well, but also puts on a great show too. If I weren't interested in the show part, I would have just stayed home and listened to a live album.

To add to the list of great players who also put on great shows, **** Dale is a phenomenal player as well as a guy who knows how to work the crowd. He doesn't have a big light or stage show, but he knows how to move around and work a stage, he flips his hand over top of the neck while playing, makes eye contact with and points to audience members and talks it up in between songs. And this is a guy rocking out in his 70's.

IMO these are great musicians and entertainers...

Paul McCartney

Prince

Elton John

Peter Frampton

Eddie VH

Randy Rhoads

Billy Joel

Maynard Ferguson

...and the list goes on and on..... IMO you can have both showmanship and raw talent/musicianship built in to what you do.

I'm not sure that being an entertainer and musician are necessarily distinct and separate - Louie Prima and Louis Armstrong were phenomenal musicians who took a hell of lot of flak for upping their showmanship and downplaying their chops.

Thanks for bringing this up.

First let me say just cus you PLAY guitar don't mean you're a musician. I watched a Jonas brother entertain and play guitar but is HE a musician? Not by my standards.

I didn't say "separate or distinct"...I said there's a "difference" between these aspects of a guitarist. I wasn't implying that a great showman couldn't be an extraordinary musician or the other way round. They are not mutually exclusive, and often collide in various grades (50/50, 20/80).

Yes, to entertain you gotta know at least a little something, BUT what makes incredible musicians stay home and play for themselves, or play in an orchestra?

Recognising that you've the talent to play and create songs but lack the talent to entertain is what keeps these people home or in the studio.

I mean, a studio musician can give his all to a recording and you'll be awestruck when you hear it at home. Put that guy onstage, and he might poop himself. Surely the Jonas kid has something over the shy prodigious guy, though I hate to even say that.

I didn't say "separate or distinct"...I said there's a "difference" between these aspects of a guitarist. I wasn't implying that a great showman couldn't be an extraordinary musician or the other way round. They are not mutually exclusive' date=' and often collide in various grades (50/50, 20/80).

[/quote']

I agree... there are many-many GREAT musicians that we'll never hear of who are just playing bars, etc. And there are too many mediocre musicians who are making the big bucks playing the big venues.

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw... or being in the right place at the right time.

Bob

Thanks for bringing this up.

First let me say just cus you PLAY guitar don't mean you're a musician. I watched a Jonas brother entertain and play guitar but is HE a musician? Not by my standards.

Dig the thread[cool]

However' date=' all those young guys in the Jonas Brothers can read and write music..... And believe it or not they put on a pretty damn good show, despite the type of music they play...

As a fellow musician, I try to steer clear of passing judgment of others musicianship...... I had a great trumpet teacher (Claude Gordon) that had this great quote on the walls of his studio........

[b']"It's surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you're not comfortable within yourself, you can't be comfortable with others."[/b]

That always stuck with me[cool]

The prodigy who sits with his classical guitar all proper might beat out the boy who excitedly jumps around onstage doing three chords' date=' but not in THIS category. Yes, talent speaks for itself, but here I wanna ask about your favorite guitar showman.

Example:

Angus Young came to mind just now. Dude isn't the greatest guitarist ever (sorry to those who think so), but he is an

example of a GREAT showman.

Watching Robin Finck made me think of this post, so he's my pick.

Dude is fun to watch, even when he's jamming soulless NIN songs.

[/quote']

btw...Izzy you are lovely!

Archived