Gibson Brands Forums

Women of Rock n Roll / Pop

jaxson50

Yeah' date=' Jeez....

Too many to give them all their due.

Aretha is Royalty, like her or not.

Wilson sisters - odd for me because as much as I respect chicks 'n guitars it was Ann's voice that killed me.

Ronstadt had some pipes as well, but her politics piss me off.

When I met her nephew (bought a bass from him) I told him as much too....

She lives right down the road from me in Tucson.

Benatar was my ideal Rock Chick because of her teamwork with her soon to be husband, Neil Geraldo.

That guy is a MONSTER player, criminally unknown and under rated.

Shirley Manson of Garbage has a sultry voice that moves me, rare for a singer.

Laugh if you want, but The Donnas have some good rock and roll.

The lead player Allison Robertson is kinda old school/bluesy and plays a mean Les Paul.

Many, many more. I'll think of them later.[/quote']

Neo, If we judge one on politics, then we should judge them all on politics...Not on the music. Joan Baez has one of the most powerful voice's on the planet, Mary Travers was likewise a pure vocal powerhouse, but if we only listen to people we have political agreement with, we are the loser.

Neo' date=' If we judge one on politics, then we should judge them all on politics...Not on the music.[/quote']

I do.

There were a few extensive threads here on the matter, been some while ago.

I harbor no double standard, if they want to convert the stage into a soapbox I'm walking out.

Ronstadt did a rare show in Tucson a couple years ago and decided to pull a Dixie Chicks stunt.

Her mistake?

She did it early enough in the show that the people leaving in disgust (lotsa military there in Tucson) happened to notice the box office employees were still there and the line for refunds grew tremendously.

The media quashed that - of course!

Personally, I vote with my wallet.

Lotsa people I supported for years used my hard-earned bucks to become crusaders against my values.

I cut 'em off.

It's partly a generational thing and partly circumstance, I was born in 1965 into a military family.

So it's not a stretch to figure out where Baez & Travers figured in my musical development, eh?

Did I miss some good stuff? Sure, I was years later finding out more about them.

Loser?

Nah....

By the time I started paying attention to music in the mid-seventies, the heyday of Arena Rock was upon us.

That's my first love, so the sixties protest stuff and all that "musical introspection" is kinda lost on me.

Not just strictly politics, there's enviro-nuts, animal rights idiots, gun banners and such who's antics get them erased from my shopping list and ensure I won't buy a concert ticket from them.

I only mentioned Ronstadt because the kid I bought the bass from happened to be related to her.

In trying to make conversation with him, I found him to be forthcoming with little info and lots of attitude.

When I noticed his name I asked him if he was related to such a songbird (I truly was a fan) and his attitude only got more prickly. My parting shot was right on the heels of her botched show there, I wasn't going to mention it.

Matter of respect, ya know?

Well, it occurred to me this whole respect thing - regarding the values of others who may not agree - was really looking like a one way street and I was getting tired of encountering it being so casually displayed.

Had he been a bit more cooperative with a customer - who was paying him cold hard cash....

I honestly hope I pissed him off.

If not, we both made our positions clear and moved on.

I'm okay either way.

1. I saw Bonnie Tyler 3 years ago. She gets my full respect. VERY beautiful voice that stirrs me up (in a good way...). And a true LADY that was never sold out. I would happily pay a ticket to listen to her signing live again.

2. (I know DeVeWee will appreciate this!): Dani Klein - the lead singer of Vaya Con Dios.

Exceptional band, one of the best ever to come out of Europe (at least the mainland - Britain is another chapter), regardless of genre. Simply stunning voice and unbelievable emotional performances through her singing.

3. Andriana Sklenaricova - What? She's not an artist...? Well, she was married to Tico Torres (drummer of Bon Jovi) for a few years... Does that count...?

[-(

Can I include Joni Mitchell? I think she is the Dogs bollocks LOL

Glen Gould' date=' my favourite pianist, Joni Mitchell, my favourite female songwriter and Jeff Healey my favourite rock/blues guitarist...all from Canadaxx

Matt[/quote']

I love joni mitchell

Can I include Joni Mitchell? I think she is the Dogs bollocks LOL

Glen Gould' date=' my favourite pianist, Joni Mitchell, my favourite female songwriter and Jeff Healey my favourite rock/blues guitarist...all from Canadaxx

Matt[/quote']

Absolutely........She is wonderful.. When I think of Joni's bio I wonder just how people over come life's trial's. She is a strong lady who overcame so much as a child.

I do.

There were a few extensive threads here on the matter' date=' been some while ago.

I harbor no double standard, if they want to convert the stage into a soapbox I'm walking out.

Ronstadt did a rare show in Tucson a couple years ago and decided to pull a Dixie Chicks stunt.

Her mistake?

She did it early enough in the show that the people leaving in disgust (lotsa military there in Tucson) happened to notice the box office employees were still there and the line for refunds grew tremendously.

The media quashed that - of course!

Personally, I vote with my wallet.

Lotsa people I supported for years used my hard-earned bucks to become crusaders against my values.

I cut 'em off.

It's partly a generational thing and partly circumstance, I was born in 1965 into a military family.

So it's not a stretch to figure out where Baez & Travers figured in my musical development, eh?

Did I miss some good stuff? Sure, I was years later finding out more about them.

Loser?

Nah....

By the time I started paying attention to music in the mid-seventies, the heyday of Arena Rock was upon us.

That's my first love, so the sixties protest stuff and all that "musical introspection" is kinda lost on me.

Not just strictly politics, there's enviro-nuts, animal rights idiots, gun banners and such who's antics get them erased from my shopping list and ensure I won't buy a concert ticket from them.

I only mentioned Ronstadt because the kid I bought the bass from happened to be related to her.

In trying to make conversation with him, I found him to be forthcoming with little info and lots of attitude.

When I noticed his name I asked him if he was related to such a songbird (I truly was a fan) and his attitude only got more prickly. My parting shot was right on the heels of her botched show there, I wasn't going to mention it.

Matter of respect, ya know?

Well, it occurred to me this whole respect thing - regarding the values of others who may not agree - was really looking like a one way street and I was getting tired of encountering it being so casually displayed.

Had he been a bit more cooperative with a customer - who was paying him cold hard cash....

I honestly hope I pissed him off.

If not, we both made our positions clear and moved on.

I'm okay either way.[/quote']

I see your point, and you certainly have a right to your opinion. I have always been a fan of Johnny Cash, and he was not ever afraid to speak out in support of conservative values. I hope he didn't loose the respect of fan's or critics because of it.

But this is off topic.

Absolutely........She is wonderful.. When I think of Joni's bio I wonder just how people over come life's trial's. She is a strong lady who overcame so much as a child.

I like Joni, too. And she had the good sense to get Jaco to play in her band for a while.

(On another note, I think that last pic of LF kinda ruined it for me.)

If by "pop" I can head back to the olden days of birds who reeeeally sang...

Bea Wain had great pipes and was incredibly sexy - and kept that ability until she was far older than I am now.

Julie London was the perfect sorta "cool school" jazz singer, especially in her earlier stuff with just basically jazz guitar and bass accompaniment. Gorgeous girl well into life. Very talented actress too - but that was part of the appeal of the great girl singers of the 30s-50s.

Billy Holiday reeeeally could sing a blues-like song.

In fact, most of the swing era "birds" could hypnotize a crowd well past the age when they'd be willing to be on stage without makeup. Helen Forest, for example.

Grace Slick made a comment I read about stating folks after a certain age shouldn't be rockin'. I strongly disagree. I think the truly good ones get better with age.

Baez politics weren't and aren't my thing, but I think in her later years she showed she could do some neat stuff outside of the folkie idiom rather well.

Frankly I think politics always have been part of a music niche - and I'm fine with that - but I think those who do mainstream music and then get politics into it are tempting fate and the sort of reaction Neo already has mentioned. I know that sorta thing kept me from buying a lotta stuff in the 60s and 70s.

Fair? Probably not. But then perhaps one of the greatest overall motion picture talents in history ended up as a footnote because she did a couple of things for a nasty fellow named Adolph Hitler including Triumph des Willens. Leni Riefenstahl.

I also doubt too many "lefties" bought much Hank Williams Jr. or Barry Sadler stuff.

Astrud Gilberto has politics I don't care for too, but a cool voice.

Hmmmm. For pipes alone, Mama Cass had 'em.

m

Archived