Gibson Brands Forums

What is your favorite Pink Floyd album?

mcmurray

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" has just turned 30. IMHO it's one of their finest albums - it almost plays like a long tune with various movements. Gilmour is on the top of his game here also.

I'm excited at the news that Roger Waters is going to tour "The Wall" in it's entirety in 2010/11. This will be a show that you seriously should not miss. I saw him in 2007 and it was beyond amazing.

Did any of you catch the Wall tour in 1980/81?

Any other lovers of this album here? If not, what's your favorite?

I remember buying The Wall when it first came out and playing it beginning to end and it is an enormous piece. I for some reason always placed it side by side with Genesis' Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and The Beatles White Album. Musical works that really needed to be listened to start to finish to capture the breadth and vision of the artists.

A good pair of headphones were a must.

Today I don't have time to listen to one side of an album let alone a double lp.

Grandpa whats an album?

Whichever one happens to be palying in the CD/CD drive (or now MP3) at the time. Aminals was in the CD player the other day, I'd forgotten how good it was/is. Dark Side of the Moon is playimg right now. Momentary Lapse is in my Jeep's CD player..

I guess if I had to pickem'.. 1- Wish You Were Here. 1- Dark Side of the Moon. 1- The Wall. 1- Momentary Lapse. 1- Division Bell.

I like Syd Barrett's stuff as well.

I remember buying The Wall when it first came out and playing it beginning to end and it is an enormous piece.

....... capture the breadth and vision of the artists.

A good pair of headphones were a must.

Without a doubt.

It took me awhile to buy it, I was getting awfully burned out on Another Brick In The Wall Part 2.

It was on every radio station and jukebox, I was really fed up with the whole Floyd thing - just didn't get it.

Then I noticed there was Another Brick In The Wall, parts 1 & 3 as well.

A friend said 'Yeah, you really need to check this out..."

So, finally, I bought it on vinyl and sat down with the lyrics and went thru all 80 minutes of it.

Wow.

The orchestral stuff didn't turn me off like I would have figured.

Gilmour's guitar is incredible from start to finish.

ABITH parts 1 & 3 are killer pieces, Run Like Hell is still a favorite.

Comfortably Numb is a Stratocaster Masterpiece, Young Lust is a rocker.

Then there's all the in between dialogue and sound effects....

A good pair of headphones are a must, indeed.

DSOTM is a close second for different reasons - it's a very different album.

I didn't really get into it until after The Wall, though I had heard most of the songs on the radio.

Took me 10 years to finally give it a serious listen.

Then I noticed there was Another Brick In The Wall' date=' parts 1 & 3 as well.

A friend said 'Yeah, you really need to check this out..."

[/quote']

Part 3 is really intense, my favorite.

Richard's piano work on there is very good and worth a mention, an example is the track Nobody Home.

Dark Side

The Wall

Momentary Lapse, "On the Turning Away" is one of my favorite songs.

I own Division Bell but on listened to it a few times.

+1 on Roger's "Amused to Death"

Seen Floyd a few times,

1986 at the Meadowlands, NJ

1987 Foxboro MA.

1989? RFK Stadium, Wash. DC

Dark side of the moon, if it was only for that genious "The great gig in the sky"...but I own all Floyd records('til The Wall) and love them all!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1Tp8ZtGXU&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Hard to believe that the fantastic Clare Torry was asked by the Floyd to sing something, anything, so she improvised in the studio...with an 'evergreen' as result...

Archived