Gibson Brands Forums

Other instruments that you love?

Shnate McDuanus

Come on--guitar can't be the be-all and end-all! There have to be others you love listening to.

I know that for me it's electric organ, piano, clarinet, harmonica, saxophone and violin.

OK--I guess I can't say that there are any instruments I hate listening to (except for flute,) but those are the ones that give me shivers and cold sweats.

Chapman Stick?

Really?

I've met several people who owned them' date=' but nobody has ever actually played one that impressed me any.

They just kinda fumbled with it and tried to explain....

Seems like a really cool concept.[/quote']

Yeah it's a fun instrument and has some great options you just can't think about it like a guitar or at least I can't it drives you crazy if you do. I play mine like more like a keyboard style when I want something fast and fun. Check out the Zen drum on-line it's another fun instrument a midi drum set in a small package great for recording drum parts and a blast to play. they make two styles a handheld you play like a guitar and a kaptop model that goes on a snare stand which is what I use.

Chapman Stick

IMG_0015.jpg

Zen Drum and Congas

ZenDrumSetup.jpg

I played trumpet in high school too - but the last two years and two years into college until I got my front teeth knocked out it was rock and jazz 'stedda school band stuff of that era. Kids today don't realize how much better music ed they get in terms of practical "pop" stuff. Ruby Braff was a favorite to try to emulate at the time. Miles Davis was too far out in some other galaxy, I figured.

The B3 and Leslie is a great love, but I'm worse than worthless on a keyboard so... my head sez that's kinda what I'm playing on guitar when I'm doing solo jazz type stuff rather than a Joe Pass kinda solo jazz guitar. Besides, I'm not anywhere close to Pass' league and best not to attempt a fourth rate copy. Solo guitar is kinda the bottom line, although I've talked a bit with a good former road pro bass player about working on some gigs... That's still a lot different from a Django lead and rhythm backup and a bass under it all and swapping leads with a fiddler. I "think" keyboard chords and sound; add a bass and drum, maybe...

Yeah, I love the sound of pedal steel but never tried to play it in spite of doing a lotta bottlenecking on open tunings of various sorts as a kid.

So... much as I had fun playing rock and country and blues and bluegrass - still do, in fact - deep down it's standards and stuff like a B3 would do with a non bebop "stick kinda to variations on the melody" kinda stuff for me when I'm playing just for me... which is mosta the time.

Oh, yeah, I've got a banjo and a mandolin, too... ain't played either one much the past 30 years or so. No call to.

Gotta keyboard. Ain't played it in 30 years either. It's still in a storage box.

Something about the intimacy of guitar regardless of what I want it to sound like that's very appealing to me.

m

Come on--guitar can't be the be-all and end-all! There have to be others you love listening to.

I know that for me it's electric organ' date=' piano, clarinet, harmonica, saxophone and violin.

OK--I guess I can't say that there are any instruments I [i']hate[/i] listening to (except for flute,) but those are the ones that give me shivers and cold sweats.

violin, piano

Piano

Saxaphone

Violin

A womans voice

Trumpet (In good hands it's awesome)

Pedal Steel (does that count?)

I love the sound of a pan flute (call me crazy)

Organ

Mandolin

Banjo (In good hands trust me it's great)

Bass

Anything else I'm forgetting thats incorporated in classical music.

I got more

- A, number one on my list is tasty, old school jazz drums. Love a cat that can work a snare and pair of hats.

- I also love greasy harmonic like those early electric blues albums from the mid sixties. Paul Butterfield comes to mind.

- And Indian instruments, especially tabla and harmonium. Nothing better than a cat going crazy on some tabla.

Archived