Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul

Roodhy

This is difficult... As all Les Paul players know, you can't play rock on the Dark Fire, and you can't play blues on the Slash. Hmmmm.... You're gonna have to just play rock OR blues if you want one of those Les Pauls.

OR....

...just buy the one you like best.

I think its cool that the dark fire can tune it self in different tunings. but do you have to use the robot tuning effekt, or can you tune it for yourself. if not i would go for the goldtop, because what happens if the robot tuning effekt break or something and you cant tune it for yourself, then its waste of money. and i like the slash signature goldtop because its cool and i am a big fan of slash, and you can get the real rocksound on it. but what is the price difference on those two guitars?

Roodhy.. I would suggest that you read as much as you can and look for any videos that will give you information.

(that also means download the manuals and read them too. the Robot's have big manuals execpt for the Dusk Tiger which doesn't have any manual yet)

Yes a Gibson robot guitar can be tuned manually.

Gibson has 3 forums now for Robot's

The GOR at http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=84

The Darkfire at http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=83

and the now Dusktiger at http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=93

If you're not a technology nerd and love the good old rock' date=' go for the gold![/quote']

Well said.

There's a huge difference between a good, solid Les Paul and a guitar that is sorta shaped like a Les Paul and loaded with electronic gadgets/gizmos and general buffoonery.

Do you want something that makes the nerdy kids say "Cool, it tunes itself!!" or do you want something that is built with nothing more than high quality, craftsmanship, and 50 years of Rock and Roll legacy in it?

What would Slash do?

[biggrin]

As ET says, if there's even a question about which way to go then you need to be reading up on them.

Good start coming to the forum!

What would Slash do?

[cursing]

probably use a replica of a gibson les paul that is better in every way to even the current Historics' date=' then record 1 monster album, drink/drug himself stupid to the point of never doing anything worthwhile* ever again except collect fat effin' checks from Gibson and Activision for whoring himself out.

damn, i really like the man's business model. [biggrin

* i admit i like the UYI albums, but I just wanted to use hyberole. [cursing]

Just an FYI about the Dark Fire. If you forget to push the tuning key back in, tune it and it breaks the tuning key. Not covered under warranty and that'll cost you $$$

Forgot to push in tuning key on Slash model...oh wait....you don't do that to it. See where I'm going with this.

Sorry to be blunt but I was just passing a message on from a dealer who carries the Robot/Dark fire series.

Of the two choices' date=' I'd personally go with the gold top but why does it have to be a Slash?

You can probably get a used '57 historic reissue for less than a used Slash.

Gold tops are great. They show the top carve better than any other finish. [biggrin

I agree. I can't find a price for the Slash sig in Norway, but you can get the 1957 goldtop new for 21´995 Kr at the first dealer I found. Awesome. And it is the dark back model, which looks killer in my opinion. (As a reference, the traditional goldtop goes for 17´295)

Go to a big ol' guitar store, play a bunch that you might like, find one that you really love. If it's a good enough price for you, go for it. If the price doesn't suit you, shop around until you can find the same model at a lower price. If that doesn't work out, go for the one you liked second best, and so on.

Pretty soon, you'll find a guitar that you absolutely love.

...Or, if you can't find a price that works for you, you'll end up with an Epiphone with a bolt-on neck.

Be sure to do what makes you happy, and welcome to the forums.

Archived