Gibson Brands Forums

What's the most bad@$$ thing you've ever done.

slashadler

I was approached by two characters and robbed at gunpoint. After forking over my cash , one of the bandits thought it would be good fun to shoot me, which he did. IT REALLY PISSED ME OFF. So, being true to my southern redneck nature I pummeled them both into submission and drove myself to the hospital. Here's the moral of the story.... When robbing a redneck, who is 6-1, 215 lbs. bring something heavier than a .25 caliber pistol and aim for the head. That was over ten years ago and in retrospect I would have waited on the ambulance and the police.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to ride a horse that had gone insane during a barn-fire (the stories ARE true), every time he'd get in water (crossing a creek) he'd throw himself on his side and try to drown his rider by pinning him in the water..........I always ran him across creeks because of this nasty habit.

He threw me a few times........the last time fracturing my skull, dislocating a hip, and a shoulder, and rupturing 2 discs in my neck..........oh, I was in a coma for 3 weeks too.

I used to swan-dive from bridge railings, the higher the better, due to a lack of cliffs in this area...........

my last dive ruptured my eyeball...causing some of the membrane to come out.

safeworker.jpg

I've had several guns pulled on me, and been shot at a few times (never hit )

More recently, I've stopped an armed robbery in progress, and an assault in progress.

One TRULY Bada$$ thing i've done, was perform a condominium rooftop concert solo in Panama City Fl., which caused the bar patrons next door to come out into the parkinglot to watch & listen.........the manager came out, shaking his fist & threatening to take my guitar away from me.........I told him to come get it if he felt frisky enough.

Half an hour later the cops let me go, but told me to keep my guitar in the condo.

But the only thing that REALLY puts me into that category...........is working every day for 25+ years, supporting my family, beating drugs & alcohol (more than once) and being a good citizen.

I was approached by two characters and robbed at gunpoint. After forking over my cash ' date=' one of the bandits thought it would be good fun to shoot me, which he did. IT REALLY PISSED ME OFF. So, being true to my southern redneck nature I pummeled them both into submission and drove myself to the hospital. Here's the moral of the story.... When robbing a redneck, who is 6-1, 215 lbs. bring something heavier than a .25 caliber pistol and aim for the head. That was over ten years ago and in retrospect I would have waited on the ambulance and the police.[/quote']

Okay... you're gonna win this one!

Opened the window of my father's brand new car while we were enjoying a carnival parade...'close the window Kris' date=' close that window I said!'..........too late, a witch came passing by with a full bag of confetti and dumped that in our car.

...10 years after...[crying

Around 1975, my father special ordered a Volkswagon Scirocco with fuel injection; back then, they were very rare and came in only one color (bronze). He waited a long time to get that car. When it was shipped to the dealership, the whole family packed into my mother's stationwagon and we all went to go pick the new car even though I was sick and too young to stay home by myself like that.

My brother and I wanted to ride home in the new car and, since I wasn't well, he got to sit in the front seat while I sat in the back. We were about 10 minutes from home when I threw up all over my brother and the inside of my father's prized new car. Not so badass.

I rode my bicycle across Canada.

And I have also killed a person. Hit them with my car. Just like in the movies, over the hood and off the trunk. His leg had an extra angle to it and the top of his scalp was peeled back. I was like 19 years old, coming home from work on a dark, rain soak night in my 1966 Mustang, he ran across 8 lanes of traffic against the light and I smoked him.

I was at a bar in Mexico, 2 beautiful bartenders start passing a Spanish jar full with a Tequila mixed drink, I was but the second person to get a go at it, it was half a gallon, I finished it, without flinching.

After I was done I realized that finishing the entire thing was not a challenge, they were just passing the thing around for people to get warmed up and partying. Oopsy, got a buzz for free tough.

I rode my bicycle across Canada.

And I have also killed a person. Hit them with my car. Just like in the movies' date=' over the hood and off the trunk. His leg had an extra angle to it and the top of his scalp was peeled back. I was like 19 years old, coming home from work on a dark, rain soak night in my 1966 Mustang, he ran across 8 lanes of traffic against the light and I smoked him.[/quote']

Wait..... What?

Are you serious?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Geeze guys...

I thought I'd been around more than a little. Bullets coming my way and guns pointing weren't really all that scary in my tales and...

Really, as a journalist I've seen a lot, but... always tried to keep out of people's gunsights and stuff. Even as a defense teacher the worst was three guys who wanted to take me out and not a technique was tossed. Long story, but...

I still can't match some of these.

m

Geeze guys...

I thought I'd been around more than a little. Bullets coming my way and guns pointing weren't really all that scary in my tales and...

Really' date=' as a journalist I've seen a lot, but... always tried to keep out of people's gunsights and stuff. Even as a defense teacher the worst was three guys who wanted to take me out and not a technique was tossed. Long story, but...

I still can't match some of these.

m

[/quote']

Two times in my life I've had guns pulled on me, (other than the Vietcong).

One was when I was about 17.... two friends of mine wanted to race their cars at like 2 AM. One had a 1964 SS Impala with a 327 CID and the other had a 1966 Olds 442. I got out to start them, and after I flagged them, I was watching them cover the @ 1/4 mile, (on a wide street between two apartment buildings). Suddenly, I feel something stuck in my back...was a guy with a rifle.... told me to come with him because he was tired of "you kids" racing cars in the neighborhood.... as we walked back to his truck, and around the corner, he started laughing and told me he was kidding. I felt like beating the $hit our of him, but he DID still have a rifle in his hand...and I was happy that I wasn't going to the police station that night.

The second time was much worse. I actually was in 'Nam..... I was very close to being transferred out of country, and was "celebrating". Walking around with a bottle of bourbon, (NOT a smart thing to do), I came across two dogs fighting. One of the dogs was our company dog, (was in the artillery, so technically it was a "battery dog"but I figured most wouldn't know what I was talking about), so I kicked the other dog to stop the fight. The "Sargent of the Guard" saw me do that, and it appears the other dog was his.... and he was drunker than I was....the difference was that he had a 38 revolver on his hip...and he took offense that I would kick his dog.... so he came up to me and stuck his finger in my face, telling me he wished I wouldn't be kicking his dog.... I may have told him something to the effect that he should take his finger and put it somewhere else before I broke it off.... and suddenly I was looking right at the business end of his 38 Revolver, (obviously NOT a Army-Issue 45! I grabbed the gun and pointed it away from me and he and I wrestled around on the ground. He was on top of me, and I had his pistol (and hand) in my hands keeping it pointed away from me...when I saw a jeep pull up to my head... and the Colonel, ExO and Sargent Major got out.... grabbed this Sargent off me, tossed him in the back of the jeep and backed down the road... he got court marshaled for being drunk of duty.

And dem00n I love your Metal Church album cover sig.

My buddy flew in from England for Christmas and we got together for some drinking and we got to talking about the Metallica show we saw on December 13th' date=' 1986, Metal Church opened for them.[/quote']

Thanks.

I think its great album and a great ****ing album cover.

Also im jealous you got to see them live!

Hey Rob...

What size tubes? I've only been around 155s, both towed and SPs. Pulled the lanyard on some. Got so I could get a photo of the projo outgoing. One fun excursion was during a live ammo training fire mission with me shooting the camera from an old Bell bubble helicopter down at a towed 155 battery with 8-inch shells going over the pilot and me. <grin> I think that's called "faith."

Oh - yeah, I've also messed with muzzle loading artillery a bit, too, but that doesn't really count.

m

Izzy's mom and Surfpup's divorce top everything else in this thread. Oh, and that ''ethnic background'' story!

Mine? In 2 or three occassions I went against my family's ''expectations'' or my close society's ''normal behaviour'', taking some major life decisions. This led me to re-establish the whole basis of relations with my family, my father in particular. But then again, it taught me so much for myself, my family, my society and these decisions made me a stronger, fuller, more aware and happy person. Therefore, I'm extremely proud of them.

Perhaps, to those of you coming from more ''open to new ideas / modern'' societies, is not much, but we are still living in the previous century, when it comes to ideas and behaviours, at least...

Hey Rob...

What size tubes? I've only been around 155s' date=' both towed and SPs. Pulled the lanyard on some. Got so I could get a photo of the projo outgoing. One fun excursion was during a live ammo training fire mission with me shooting the camera from an old Bell bubble helicopter down at a towed 155 battery with 8-inch shells going over the pilot and me. <grin> I think that's called "faith."

Oh - yeah, I've also messed with muzzle loading artillery a bit, too, but that doesn't really count.

m

[/quote']

155's for sure... split trails, (towed and air mobile).

I trained on the 105mm at Ft. Sill, but was only on the 155mm in 'Nam.

If you only put 1-4 bags of propellent, I COULD see the projo go through the air.... 5-7 bags went too fast for my eyes.

Have you seen any current artillery? simply AMAZING!! They can shoot a fly's wings off at 30 miles!

Rob... The projo pix was kinda like guitar playing - you hadda anticipate a bit 'cuz in theory it takes around 2/5 of a second to react to something. Obviously by then there ain't no projo pix. It was great fun most of the time - although standing with your back turned and about 15 feet from an SP's muzzle brake when it went bang... Ouch.

Usually they shot lower charges when I was "shooting" at them, as in 3-5 or so bags. <grin> I'm sure your tales would be better than mine since mine were only "shooting" training - although I got to play "aggressor" once during training. Nowadays no way they'd let me do that.

The new stuff I haven't seen beyond mlrs working down at Sill, and that's a whole 'nother game compared to tube artillery. Heck, we've got a 105 in the back yard of the museum. <grin> the old mountain howitzer used in the 19th century was kinda fun to play with, too. People nowadays don't realize how skilled some of those folks were.

m

Rob... The projo pix was kinda like guitar playing - you hadda anticipate a bit 'cuz in theory it takes around 2/5 of a second to react to something. Obviously by then there ain't no projo pix. It was great fun most of the time - although standing with your back turned and about 15 feet from an SP's muzzle brake when it went bang... Ouch.

Usually they shot lower charges when I was "shooting" at them' date=' as in 3-5 or so bags. <grin> I'm sure your tales would be better than mine since mine were only "shooting" training - although I got to play "aggressor" once during training. Nowadays no way they'd let me do that.

The new stuff I haven't seen beyond mlrs working down at Sill, and that's a whole 'nother game compared to tube artillery. Heck, we've got a 105 in the back yard of the museum. <grin> the old mountain howitzer used in the 19th century was kinda fun to play with, too. People nowadays don't realize how skilled some of those folks were.

m

[/quote']

I was surprised on how accurate we could be...for the time..... 105mm's had like a 37 lb projo/can combo, the 155mm had a 98 lb projo, and the power was loose....the 8" projo was like 200 lbs, but were all hydraulically loaded... and of 'course the "BIG MAMA" was the 175 mm.... it'd knock you a$$-over-tea kettle if you were in front of it. I can't imagine the guns on a war ship... I mean they're shooting a 2000 lb projo many-MANY miles!!

Could you define "non ethnic" for me? I'm white and I'm ethnic...I don't get that whole thing' date=' like someone decided white people have no ethnic background? Did we just fall out of the sky?[/quote']

I hear you! That's how the whole gig was described to me, and the subsequent explanation of why I wasn't received very well.

I am "White" but my family tree consists of German, Irish, Scottish, two types of American Indian, Dutch, Black, and on and on. I describe myself as a Mutt American. :)

My nickname is Hienz 57.

I hear you! That's how the whole gig was described to me' date=' and the subsequent explanation of why I wasn't received very well.

I am "White" but my family tree consists of German, Irish, Scottish, two types of American Indian, Dutch, Black, and on and on. I describe myself as a Mutt American. :)

My nickname is Hienz 57.

[/quote']

One night many years ago, while playing the Satellite Club at Moffett Naval Air Station, our guitar player got into some ethnic jokes. He was of Irish/Polish descent and knew a LOT of jokes about those nationalities. Our keyboardist was Mexican, also well versed in jokes about his own ethnicity. The jokes seemed well received, we were a regular staple at the place so most of the patrons were familiar with us. Someone in the predominantly Black audience sent a note up saying "I'll give you $50.00 if you tell a ******** joke."

The guitar player showed the note to me and the keys guy, both of whom declined the invitation. He then transformed himself into a stereo-typical southern redneck sheriff-type and told the audience 2 things...first he told them about the note, then he told a very old joke of the requested genre....in the persona of a dumb redneck.

It brought the house down. A very nicely dressed, non-military type Black man came up and handed Ray a $50 saying he didn't think he'd have the balls for it. Shook his hand and went back to his table.

And we became more popular than ever at that club. Picked up a LOT of private gigs outta there after that.

You just never know.

Archived