Gibson Brands Forums

Does it matter....

Silenced Fred

I don't expect to click with everyone on the forum. Some of us don't get each other. That's OK. Some of us don't have similar senses of humor or, perhaps, interests other than music. And, as pointed out, some of us can be fairly predictable, for better or worse. Or a poll or thread might just be about something that I know little about and thus have no opinion.

No it doesn't matter. I don't play the "Good old boy club" game. Never have and never will.

Half the people I respond to aren't the good old boy club...

I know DAS and fred usually got something funny or interesting or useful to say.

No it doesn't matter. I don't play the "Good old boy club" game. Never have and never will.

I'm not sure that's the only option, compadre. I hope I don't play that game, either, in spite of my limited responses. Tell me, do you reply to every post you read? That's how I took the question. I read most of them, with no regard for who the OP might be. But I definitely don't respond to each one. And sometimes that decision is based upon who's posting. I suppose, more than promoting the existence of a "GOB" club I might be guilty of a more personal exclusion.

...I usually' date=' see if the topic looks interesting and then look in the description and see if its good. [/quote']

Yeah, I pretty much do the same. And, I don't think your post sounded "a**holish" at all. I'm not a Buckethead fan, myself, but I really find it amusing that so much fuss is made over a guitar player that wears a KFC bucket on his head. And, I find the IMAGE of a guy who wears a KFC bucket on his head VERY amusing, so I like to post that image every once in a while just for kicks.

I'm not sure that's the only option' date=' compadre. I hope I don't play that game, either, in spite of my limited responses. Tell me, do you reply to every post you read? That's how I took the question. I read most of them, with no regard for who the OP might be. But I definitely don't respond to each one. And sometimes that decision is based upon who's posting. I suppose, more than promoting the existence of a "GOB" club I might be guilty of a more personal exclusion.

[/quote']

Yeah I can see why you answered the way you did ~ I get that side too. But no I don't answer every post... not even close. However, I don't "not read" a thread based on who started it. I have in the past but generally don't. I guess for me I have seen what can sort of be called a clique or GOB club.... perhaps it just my imagination or parinoia.

I pretty much just read any thread that has new posts in it. Exceptions include the Bump thread and the Song Title thread. When milod is the OP I usually pay extra special attention, because it seems like he rarely starts topics and because his posts are usually very meaningful and interesting to read. Also, when Murph starts a thread, we know it's going to be good!

Being perfectly honest (and I know I'm treading on dangerous grounds here,) the only person I really ever avoided was Slash_Adler--to be frank, the Slash fanboy crap got really tiresome. Other than that, you guys are all cool, you all have great things to say, and I just generally enjoy being here and reading the various threads.

Yes dem00n, even you. :-

Well...

I've been slowed down by a bit of a blizzard lately <grin> but if something's about somebody I've never heard of, I'll read the first sentences of the thread's starter, and probably will go on elsewhere.

Sometimes stuff started by one of the younger guys is a really good thread; sometimes stuff started by folks who are doing music and musicians I've never heard of also tends just to get a look... It's not that I don't care about new stuff but heck guys, I've enough effort to work on the old stuff. <grin>

And... like tonite, after I got some work done and started feeling guilty about not getting more done, I picked up a guitar and started figuring some alternative stuff to do with a cupla old standard "jazz" or "swing" things - not to copy Joe Pass at all, but to figure I should mess around a bit more on the neck than just doing a "piano sheet music" version.

So... I guess I've learned my lesson, too, that discussion of certain realities isn't politically correct on the forum although vulgar language is apparently fine.

That's cut some of my commentary, too.

When I'm sitting with my Wranglers gettin' dusty and gettin' my boots in some green mud at an old corral or something, I use some crude terminology and let my grammar droop a bit. Ditto if I'm tellin' old tales in a saloon where they don't care if the floor's a bit dirty on occasion.

<grin> But apparently such tales aren't, as I said, politically correct, regardless that they may be true and documented. So... I guess I'm glad we're not back to tellin' tales of when we played joints with chicken wire at the front of the stage to protect against various flying objects, identified and otherwise.

Still, I guess this forum and a couple of others that are history/philosophy oriented are my major vices.

m

I look more at the title of the post rather than the author.... But then if the title looks interesting I look to see who wrote it. Once I have responded to a post I'll check to see if my response had any responses... If it's a post I read but didn't respond for what ever reason, but was interesting, I will look to see who made the last response (thanks AXE® for telling me about the little square to the right :-s ). If the last responder is someone who may have made a response that is interesting I'll have a look to see what they said. If they then reply and what they said is interesting I may respond accordance with the newly added response from that person if interest. And sometimes I have nothing to say.... [biggrin]

I generally just read em.

I don't look to see the author till after.

+1

I only care about the subject. Generally, I read most of them posted in the Lounge, based on the title. The reason for dwelling more in the Lounge is the fact that more interesting (to me) subjects are posted there. Then, I check the ''Les Paul'' side.

Archived