Gibson Brands Forums

Itunes/ the internet Vs. Record stores and CDs

nikko18

What do you think is better and for what reasons?

I personally prefer going to my local record stores and buying actuall CDs. I like being pals with the guys who work there cause they will tell me about new stuff they have that they think I will like and I can also get deals on stuff too :]

I also am against itunes and that sort of stuff. I don't really know why but I am. Some people should give me reasons why I should dislike it so much :D

I use iTunes primarily for impulse buys, things I'm not a huge fan of, or, of course, exclusives.

I buy CDs for the things I'm especially fond of, especially if it's just a great album that I like to listen to straight through. You can do that on a computer, obviously (most of what I buy on iTunes is in album form, anyway), but I like having it.

I don't have a "record store." There are two in the city (that I'm aware of), but it's two of the farthest places you can possibly be from my house. I'm not driving an hour to buy a CD. I end up buying most of my music from whatever department store is convenient for where I am.

The HOG does have midnight record releases, and if something I'm interested in is being released, I'll go buy it at midnight.

My wife and I buy CDs; both of our boys download most of their tunes- my youngest pretty much 100% on iTunes, but my eldest (who just completed his Jethro Tull CD collection this Christmas) still buys some CDs...

I don't download because I have no use for it. I have no need of an iPod or Zune or anything of that ilk. I have stereo equipment or a PC anywhere I need music [crying]

I still buy and listen to CDs, I buy from Amazon most of time.

I actually read the labels to see who is the composer or any other interesting notes.

CDs go into iTunes and my wife keeps the iPod most of the time.

If I have a bunch of CDs from the same band I make an MP3 disc that I can play in my car or at work. Like SRV, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica, Dire Straits, The Beatles, Iron Maiden, etc. I have made discs for each of those.

I mostly buy CDs through Amazon, sometimes from other sources if it's hard to find. I used to go to a small chain store before they closed as it was convenient to stop there on the way home after work (spent a helluva lot of money there because of that convenience!). I've purchased MP3 downloads a few times but they weren't encoded at 320kbps (they were 256) and I can't see spending money on inferior sound quality when I can buy the CD and rip it however I want myself.

I miss record stores[crying] ... It was always exciting going to Tower Records and touch the 12" x 12" piece of cardboard, it made the bands bigger than life IMO..... I mean how can one not get excited touching a 3 album set, or a gruesome Beatles album cover[biggrin]

album.jpg

There isn't much to buy out there that I like these days. I still listen to albums

when I workout. That's where most of my good stuff is. I must be getting

old. Now I feel weird after that revelation. LOL There are some good new

bands I listen to on the local FM rock that plays stuff I like I use to listen

to just new bands.

CW

I like having hard copies. If I'm going to buy the music anyway, I might as well have hard copy when I buy it.

I back up my files anyway, but I find that if I have the CD I just feel more secure about music purchases.

Also, I still believe strongly in the concept of ownership. With iTunes, you "own" it technically, but if you lose the files and didn't get a chance to back them up or something, you've got to buy them back again. Not cool. I like cases, discs, liner notes, collections, and satisfaction.

Of course' date=' none of you use torrents or Limewire, right?[/quote']

So much so that I had to Google it to know what that is.

Music is not free, there are always strings attached, if somebody says it is. I remember downloading a few crappy-quality files from Kazaa years ago, I also remeber the viruses and adware that came ith the territory. No thanks, CDs are just fine.

What do you think is better and for what reasons?

I personally prefer going to my local record stores and buying actuall CDs. I like being pals with the guys who work there cause they will tell me about new stuff they have that they think I will like and I can also get deals on stuff too :]

I also am against itunes and that sort of stuff. I don't really know why but I am. Some people should give me reasons why I should dislike it so much :P

2 different mediums and 2 different means to an end.

Not withstanding the bit war that could be debated here' date='I will always prefer to hold in my hand a hard copy.

Now what I mean by that is a piece of plastic/vinyl/polycarbonate,or whatever you choose to call it,over something that is squashed down and reduced to 0's & 1's.

True,to an extent,CD's/DVD's etc. are 0's & 1's also,except they have not been compressed to within a nano mm. of their aural life.

Though saying that,the internet for exposing music etc. as a medium is phenomal and was phenomenally overlooked to the detriment of all record conglomerates. Now they are paying the price.

I will ALWAYS use the internet for previewing an albums/artists single etc. and take it from there on deciding whether to purchase the album. And I usually buy at least an album a week.

But,downloading from iTunes etc. a whole album? No. It might sound trivial,but when I'm investing in something,I want and expect my money's worth.Not something compressed flat at 256 kps or whatever they offer. I DO notice the difference and I'm sure most artists who put their time and energy into their craft want you to hear their music as realised.

On another note...those record companies who b*tch about everyone stealing THEIR artists' livelihood are kidding no one.

They've already done that for them. It's THEIR livelihood and money that has them running,believe me.[blush

On another note...those record companies who b*tch about everyone stealing THEIR artists' livelihood are kidding no one.

They've already done that for them. It's THEIR livelihood and money that has them running' date='believe me.[wink

Spot on observation. The artists receive their paltry wages regardless of who "steals" their music.

And the RIAA stopped suing file sharers because it was getting too expensive for them to keep bringing up all of these lawsuits.

I'm going to invest in one of them vinyl to mp3 things cus I have a massive collection of records, but I'm paranoid of playing them (delicate things and I'm a brute).

iTunes for guilty pleasure music, cd out of respect for artists I cherish (though I dump it in the comp eventually), vinyls are not something I look for, but if one crosses my path and it's good I take it.

i prefer buying the actual cd's for 3 reasons:

1. i just like having the physical cd

2. i can look in the little booklet

3. if my computer crashes i dont lose the cd

i actually also have a pretty good vinyl collection [lol]

+1.

I like actually having a COLLECTION of my favourite artist's work. Plus' date=' as Nikko already mentioned, I enjoyed visiting a music store and speaking to the guys that work there and get their opinions on certain albums, talk about music in general. I consider it as a part of the buy, I really enjoy it.

BTW, congrats on the new Eternity mate [love ! Post some pictures of it (or even better a youtube video of you playing through it!)

I use iTunes or Amazon if I need to learn a song for my duo that I probably don't want to listen to forever.

But for anything that I want to keep, I want the CD. I can rip mp3s and put them on my iPod. Sure I'll lose a little fidelity, but I mostly listen to the iPod in the car where there is a lot of ambient noise anyway. But if you download an mp3, there is no way to improve the sound to the level of the CD.

Actually, I like SACD or Analog even better than CD, but they aren't always easy to find.

Notes

Archived