Gibson Brands Forums

deepblue

It was stupid, poorly-written, and incredibly predictable.

That said, it really was a great experience, and I recommend it to everyone as well. Not for the merits of its story (it's reminiscent of Disney's Pocahontas except in space and with story elements from The Matrix,) and not for its characters (bland, bland, bland, bland, bland,) but simply for the incredible visual impact of the film. It's truly a visual masterpiece (and yes, I mean it.)

It was stupid' date=' poorly-written, and incredibly predictable.

That said, it really was a great experience, and I recommend it to everyone as well. Not for the merits of its story (it's reminiscent of Disney's [i']Pocahontas[/i] except in space and with story elements from The Matrix,) and not for its characters (bland, bland, bland, bland, bland,) but simply for the incredible visual impact of the film. It's truly a visual masterpiece (and yes, I mean it.)

I knew I loved your posts for a reason, 100% agreed.

Cameron proved with both Aliens and Titanic that, while he ROCKS in terms of kick a$$ visuals and one dimentional fun characters that kick butt and make us cheer (Weaver is a goddess and Michelle Rodrigues is just [biggrin] )

Cameron sucks at making deep meaningful dialogue that moves. I felt more watching Beauty and the Beast last month.

Worth watching for the fun lines and Zoe, the hot blue chick...to say nothing of the visuals.

I knew I loved your posts for a reason' date=' 100% agreed.

Cameron proved with both Aliens and Titanic that, while he ROCKS in terms of kick a$$ visuals and one dimentional fun characters that kick butt and make us cheer (Weaver is a goddess and Michelle Rodrigues is just :- )

Cameron sucks at making deep meaningful dialogue that moves. I felt more watching Beauty and the Beast last month.

Worth watching for the fun lines and Zoe, the hot blue chick...to say nothing of the visuals.[/quote']

In my humble opinion, Cameron was the director / creator of the best action movie of all times: ''Terminator II''. Yes, I mean it. I think that this film has been surpassed yet. I'll definately watch this one...

Well,um,my Fam went to the drive-in to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meat Balls" and as we were leaving we/I stopped the car to check out Avatar playing on the other screen...looked good...would love ta see it at iMax but unfortunately I don't have a choice in what I wanna see anymore more[crying]

But we're off to see Mr. Fox tomorrow night...so I'm sure I'll dig it.:-

Mrs AJ and Fred (son no 2) saw it at the weekend. Fred loved it but when he tried to tell me the plot, I got lost after 2 seconds.

Based upon that, if you like the huge budget Hollywood, action packed, special effects stuff, then go and see it.

I'm pretty sure James Cameron won't win any awards for dialog or storylines in his movies, but that's not what this movie is about anyway. -If you want that kind of thing go see some Film Noir or Arthouse movie. Visually, Avatar was pretty spectacular. I saw it in 2D as well as 3D. I dug it. Sometimes it's okay to just sit back and let a movie take you on a ride.

I'm pretty sure James Cameron won't win any awards for dialog or storylines in his movies' date=' but that's not what this movie is about anyway. -If you want that kind of thing go see some Film Noir or Arthouse movie. Visually, Avatar was pretty spectacular. I saw it in 2D as well as 3D. I dug it. Sometimes it's okay to just sit back and let a movie take you on a ride. [/quote']

Well put!

The 3D was vivid man, as was said the storyline was predictable. But I like how it placed the humans in the position of the antagonists as opposed to the war of the worlds scenario where we play the invaded. It's rated PG-13 for epic battles and smoking.... and it delivers. The CGI is phenomenal.

Yet another movie points out humans greed. It's all too common.

To me what stood out was that it (in a way) ridiculed our raping of our own world. We have destroyed so much and I can't help but feel sickened. It appears we don't understand nature's value. It sustains us yet we destroy it. Basically, we're fxcking everything up. There are sites more beautiful on earth than where in that movie, but we remain huddled in our houses oblivious to them. I must sound like someone from greenpeace or soime other natue conservation group but we seriously need to slow it down to reasonable levels. I know "it's hard" and what I said was vague but I'm not going to write a 10 page essay on the topic. Our population is just growing too damn fast.

Of course as it is in many movies there are so many elements of our own world in them disguised as something oextraterrestrial. There are bioluminescent plants, There are hollowed out trees that some animals use as shelter. It's hidden in plain sight.

Or course like so many novels movies etc the society is viewed as utopian. Do humans have the capacity for this kind of unity? One can only hope, but I believe it requires a single driving force not a hundred ones going in 90 different directions. The latter will inevitably interfere with one another. So in the movie they use a god "eywa" as this force/ belief etc.

I fear I may have gotten off topic.

In short I loved the movie.

Well' date='um,my Fam went to the drive-in to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meat Balls" and as we were leaving we/I stopped the car to check out Avatar playing on the other screen...looked good...would love ta see it at iMax but unfortunately I don't have a choice in what I wanna see anymore more[crying']

But we're off to see Mr. Fox tomorrow night...so I'm sure I'll dig it.[blink]

Wow, you still have Drive-in theatres Down Under, Awesome, lots of memories from my Drive-in days years ago.

Avatar is definitely on my list to go see...

Hey LPguitarman. I live in the St. Louis area. There is still a drive-in in Belleville on the IL side. Its closed for the winter though which is a good thing considering it is only 5 degrees today.

Don't get over to the east-side too much. I once went to a drive-in with 12-inches of snow on the ground, in a VW bug.

Times have changed.

Wow' date=' you still have Drive-in theatres Down Under, Awesome, lots of memories from my Drive-in days years ago.

Avatar is definitely on my list to go see...

[/quote']

Unfortunately we now only have 1 remaining in my state.[crying]

Fortunately it's only a 10 minute drive away.[biggrin]

We go frequently. We hope we're playing a part in keeping it up and running.

I have great memories of going when I was a kid and am stoked that my kids are able to experience it as well.[thumbup]

The wife & I just came back from it (3D) - great film and definitely a theatre going experience.

If I ever came across a 15 ft blue chick' date=' I'd do her...[/quote']

Hahaha, when I went to see it, some guy screamed out "Sh¡t, I'd do that blue chick, she's hot as fxck!"

Was that you? [biggrin]

It was kinda disturbing.... the other stuff that guy said....

Archived