Gibson Brands Forums

How did I miss THIS? - Orianthi

NeoConMan

A guy I work with asked me if I had heard of some Australian chick who is a Guitar Slinger from hell.

Couldn't remember her name, so he did a web search and found some YouTube clips of her.

I recommend you do the same.

NAAM show appearances, playing with Carlos Santana, etc....

From what little I saw today, she's a straight-on Blues-based picker with some serious chops.

This isn't just some "Cute bimbo plays bubble-gum pop while posing with a guitar" crap.

www.orianthi.com/splash/

I noticed she plays PRS, and on their site I see she has an endorsement deal with them as well.

www.prsguitars.com/

I plan to look into this a little more as I have time.

Yeah, Neo...she's been in some PRS ads, in the magazines, too.

That was my first eposure to her. Good stuff!

The Australian gals are kicking some serious butt, musically...these days.

Tal Wilkenfeld, is another serious player. I've heard, that she's as good

a guitarist, as she is a bass player, too.

CB

A while back I did a search on youtube of women guitarists.

A girl needs inspiration sometimes in a male dominated industry (winks at Gilliangirl).

Anyway, that is how I found her, and a bunch of under the radar players.

This gorgeous chick stood out, oh, but of course!

In the video clips I saw of her playing live, the gear caught my eye.

PRS guitars and good tube amps were always clearly in view.

(How you liking the toobz, Izzy?)

[cool]

I've seen too many times that younger musicians (especially the pop stuff) are steered to cheap gear.

They get endorsement deals on inexpensive gear that the parents of a 13-17 year old girl will buy.

Even Nancy Wilson of Heart - playing and endorsing Epiphone.

I'm guessing there aren't near as many 20-something women stupid enough to drop $3k on

a Gibson Les Paul like the 20-something men will, so the price stays under $600....

Gotta find your market.

Try as I might, I can think of only one odd counterpoint to that.

Look on Ebay and price a Suzanna Hoffs Rickenbacker.

:) [blink]

I hope Orianthi has a good head on her shoulders and has some good folks handling her business.

Looks pretty impressive so far.

[cool]

Yea Neo, she has been around for a few years, I think Santana "discovered" her, she is a PRS poster child.

She did play a Les Paul Access on this clip posted here last week, Marhsall stack and all.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

She has this song playing on the radio quite a bit right now:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That video with the marching band is so cheezy, but I guess most halftime shows are. I do appreciate all the nice Gibson guitars in the hands of all those kids. That one kid did not look pleased with his strap being off.

I just searched some videos on youtube and all I have to say is....WOW!

I normally don't care for more instrumental music (ie Satch, Vai) but she still has feeling in her playing.

Can you dig it?

Thanks for posting this neo, I had heard about her before, but didn't really know much, I just thought she was another gimmick.

PS, it ain't just for her looks, although that doesn't hurt. (she looks better without all the eyeshadow [cool])

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That would be a major Top 10 contender if she'd only reign in the "shredding like a 16 year old" playing. Yeah shoot me down if you must,but it's true-no. She's been "told" (produced badly) to do that.

But...I really can't pass judgement on just 1 song I guess. Hope they're all not like that though.:-k

Orianthi can spankmi!

The big O and Tal are definitely going places. Tal jams with Jeff Beck more often now I think. Lots of Youtubes on them. Damn my memory is slipping these days, but I believe this to be true. I heard of Orith... before the MJ thing. Santana took a liking to her hearing she took a liking to him and invited her in. Do you blame him? He said when it is time to pass the wand, he is handing it to her. Boy could I leave a derogatory comment there, but I won't. This self control BS has to go...:-k

Here is a link to select the vid you may want to have a look at on Tal. I like A Day in the Life and recommend it first. Of course the We Ended as Lovers made me curious. Again, self control. [wink]

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TAl+and+Jeff+Beck+&search_type=

Archived