Gibson Brands Forums

Picks?

Silenced Fred

Hey man! I use the 1.5 Gator grips!

Although lately I've been using my fingers for lead stuff (almost) exclusively. It just happens. I drop the pick' date=' I start using my fingers.[/quote']

Hell, I use whatever. I have a ton of picks laying around, Ultex Sharps (because they come with Dunlop strings), ultex, tortex, guitar center picks (I give em away, or if people need a pick, they get one of those), gator grips, fender picks, whatever.

I started using my fingers more though, allows for more flexibility in playing. Unless its chords, I use my fangers

Dunlop Tortex for years, .88 and 1.0 and then I discovered Clayton acetal picks, always 1.0 mm

They're white, handy for dark stages when you drop it.

As far as sponsorship or endorsement, Clayton will print whatever you want on your picks.

Sponsor YOURSELF and throw the picks to the audience - who would know the difference?

[biggrin]

I used to use a metal thumb pick. About a year ago I bought some "mojo picks" that are made out of pre-1965 quarters (because they were silver then). I have always loved the fat, metal-on-metal sound that came out of the thumb pick but hated having to always wear the pick just to get that sound; when I fingerpicked with it the sound would be unbalanced because I was using my other fingers with no metal.

I have been satisfied ever since I bought the mojo pick from ebay. I actually ended up buying three more after the first one. Not only is the tone great, but they also feel great and never slip. Apart from that, they look really cool. One of the picks I have was made out of a quarter from 1899- a decade before my R9 was made!

Alice - 1.5 mm

I just want my picks hard enough, not to be able to bend it when using my fingers. The good news: they last long. Bad news: I can't find any more! I bought the last five from the store and they haven't brought any new ones... And everybody seems to think that I'm of my head or something, because they all play with soft picks...

This is what I've been using since about 1980.

Reversedetaillo-res_MG_8175Large.jpg

It's a late-Victorian silver 3d coin. 16mm (5/8") in diameter.

It gives a beautiful ringing 'ching' when used with finesse and, being completely rigid, is perfect when brute force is the order of the day; 'pigsqueals', in particular, have never been better...

Archived