Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pump Polish...every time?

Hey all, just a quick question.....every time I play my LP Custom, I wipe it down with a new microfiber cloth and some Gibson pump polish. Now that I've got my SG, I do the same with it. I realize the pump polish is supposed to contain a small amount of lacquer, but do you think it's a bit excessive? Do you think I'm even doing more harm than good? I just can't stand the idea of those body oils sitting on that finish, just eating away at it. (Sometimes I play my Strat just because I know I don't have to wipe off that poly finish as often!)

No matter what you do, the finish is going to break down at least a little as you play 'em over time. I like to think of it as the equivalent of breaking in a pair of jeans. Eventually each guitar gets it's own mojo, and that's what make's them cool (In my dumb opinion anyway). I usually just give my guitars a quick wipe-down after I play 'em. I polish them every couple months or so, just to clean 'em up a bit.

I guess since I don't own any crazy expensive guitars, i really don't care that much if the finish breaks down a little or if I get a ding in it. I always saw that like keeping your skateboard immaculate. Sure you have a cool lookin skateboard, but it still looks brand new....you doing anything with it besides lookin at it? :-k

I play the **** outta my guitars - probably a good thing I don't own a 'spensive one....

I clean my guitars twice a year, I do need to do it a bit more often but I would guess polishing them everytime would hurt the finish since you are applying force to the finish, I also think that "gunk" would accumulate as well.

I try to keep my guitars looking like new, in the unlikely event that I have to sell them. I wash my hands before playing and wipe the guitar down with a flannel cloth when I'm done. I wipe down the strings mainly to try to extend their life. I use coated strings on the guitars I don't play as much and uncoated on the ones I do. I polish the guitars when I change the strings, which is every four to twelve weeks as needed. I use a lemon oil type cleaner/rejuvenator every nine to twleve months on the fretboard and clean the frets. I also keep guitars in their cases when I'm not playing them.

I noticed when I polish the neck on my LP studio that the polish seems to come off in tiny bits of gunk as I play and go dull again. Not sure what's up with that.

I use a fiber cloth, and wipe it down after I play. Before it goes in the case. Back of the neck, across the top side where my arm rests. One swipe or two over the strings. Bass strings pick up so much off your fingers.

Hmmmmm....

I must be the slovenly one here. Although I keep my stuff in the case mostly when I'm not playing, they catch their share of dust, occasionally fingerprints, etc... But... Every now and then I wipe 'em down with a damp cotton cloth. Translate that probably into every three to six months.

Frankly I'm more concerned about how very, very cold weather left some teensie cracks in the varnish or whatever is on the mid 1970s Guild SG clone with the nice hand-carved top. Otherwise the thing is in almost perfect condition in spite of playing it in saloons...

m

I clean them (usually) after a band practice, but only because I sweat all over them and deodorant gets caked onto the finish. At home, I'll sometimes wash my hands before playing so there isn't often a need to polish the ones I play only at home.

I clean my guitar when it either smells bad or just gets ridiculously dirty. I love when my guitar is nice and clean and shiny but it doesn't last long.

I use a microfiber cloth but always inspect it carefully for anything stuck in the fibers. You can easily scratch your guitar up really bad from that. Microfiber loves to trap little things too.

I use Meguiars Car Cleaner Wax or 2001 car polish just about every time I change the strings. Keeps them nice and shiny without taking off any of the finish. Just a light application and a quick buffing. Haven't used it on Nitrocellulose Finishes, so I can't recommend it for that.

I definitely want my guitars to relic nicely' date=' but my OCD compels me to clean them every time I play them. It's bad at home. When I go to practice with my band I play my guitars like they're tools, and not collector's items. But I still feel like I have to clean them when I get home. [/quote']

I hear ya man. There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep your stuff as nice as possible. I kinda feel the same as you (minus all the polishing). I mean, we work hard to get our guitars. I think (and this is just my opinion, feel free to tell me to get bent) that you might be overdoing it a little with the polish. I'd worry about build-up over time. I'd recommend getting a nice microfiber cloth (or old, soft cotton t shirt) and try just wiping your guitars down after you play. Maybe save the polish for a couple times a year.

Yeah, I've definitely worked hard for my guitars! No gifts or freebies, I've done it all myself. I am a little worried about overdoing it though, Twiz. It would be my luck to try to do something good for my guitars and end up shooting myself in the foot. I've been looking at the pump polish more as a cleanser and not as much as a polish....on the plus side, I've had my Custom for a little over two years, and I've never noticed any misting or buildup on the finish, so I might be okay. I just can't stand that gummy feeling on the back of a Gibson neck after jamming for a little while. If I didn't love them so much, I'd think about cleaning the neck to bare wood!

BTW, coming into the mosquito season, here's a warning...

OFF and similar stuff can turn many guitar finishes to liquid instantaneously.

No joke, and yes, I hadda learn the hard way the summer of '64.

m

BTW' date=' coming into the mosquito season, here's a warning...

OFF and similar stuff can turn many guitar finishes to liquid instantaneously.

No joke, and yes, I hadda learn the hard way the summer of '64.

m

[/quote']

That would be funny if it wasn't so heartbreaking!! I wonder if that's still the case--a lot of chemicals have been done away with since then. I'm not gonna try, though! Thanks for the tip!

I've heard from a few folks not to be to keen on using most or any polish of any kind on Nitrocellulose. I don't know how expert their opinions were however. Might be nice to from hear a Gibson Tech. on the use of polishes on the different finishes.

Old Spice regular stick will peel the nitro finish right off.

All I use is a damp white cotton cloth or a microfiber.

Every six months or so I give em a good cleaning with naptha then damp cotton followed by a microfiber buff.

I do however, wipe the strings and neck down frequently.

Archived