Gibson Brands Forums

Met anyone famous?

jimmiJAMM

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently I handed Neil Young his glasses that he forgot on a bench at a store in the mall I work in, though I'm not 100% confirmed it was him. It was kind of after the fact. I guess I didn't "meet" him then, though I do have a friend who ran into Harrison Ford at the New York Toys R Us, that's pretty cool.

Waylon Jennings (Gas Station), Alice Cooper (pawn shop), Willie Nelson (bar), Tommy Heath A.K.A Tommy TuTone (backstage at a show, now is a friend), Doug Fieger, all The Knack (backstage), The Smithereens (backstage)

Cheap Trick's bass player Tom Pettersson lives right across the street from the guy I jam with.

I have met him a couple of times.

My friends wife was going out with Tom's wife one night and we were jamming, as a cruel joke she told us Tom was coming over to play bass with us...my friend and I froze up...and she's like: nah, I am just messing with ya'

A bunch, mainly from being a sound engineer years ago. But, there are some locals and semi locals too - Henry Rollins here and there (gigs, convenience store), Pat DiNizio (parties), Deen & Gene Ween (J. Geils show) and probably some others.

Can't say as I have YET, but I can relate a rather interesting experience my guitar teacher had when Van Halen came to town. He was rather lucky to meet Eddie Van Halen backstage but prior to the meet, Eddie's bodyguard approached my guitar teacher and told him in no uncertain terms that he was not to squeeze Eddie's hand to tight when shaking it. Of course, my guitar teacher gladly obliged and got to meet the man himself.

A couple but no huge superstars.

Guy named George Mcann he played guitar with Aerosmith ast yr for a while (I think it was Aerosmith). Nice guy for the brief moment we got to talk. About his guitarring, holy crap he's good!

My old man met Johnny Pesky twice...

Two of my uncles played cards wth Muddy Waters

My dad met Gregg Allman

There are a lot more stories like that in my family.... BIG family we got.

Meh. Some you may have heard of, some are more regional.

Hank Williams Jr (1972)

Wilf Carter (1972)

Stompin' Tom Connors (1972)

Yodelin' Slim Clark (1984) - played his 1939 Gibson J-100!

I gave a guitar to David Lindley in 1984. I still have the thank you letter here somewhere.

I've exchanged many emails with Laraine Newman of SNL 1975-80. She thinks I'm half insane and should be a writer.

Partied with Dave Grohl backstage at a Queens of the Stone Age show on their Songs for the Deaf tour....best guy alive.

I second that.

Hung out with him at a Lallapalooza Show. We stood there together in the front-center isle talking before Soundgarden took the stage. He was very personal.

Also have met Rudolph Schenker, Busta Rhymes, Jakob Dylan and his band (Tobi Miller was very cool), George Thorowgood, Jerry Casell (Devo), Mike Ness (Social Distortion), Arlo Guthrie, Rob Wasserman (The Grateful Dead), Duke Erikson (Garbage), The Ventures (All of them one night), Melissa Manchester, Todd Worrell (St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers), Tommy Lasorda, etc etc,

I could think of more but it's early.

Metallica at a Meet n Greet in 2004, Alice Cooper while he was staying at a hotel where I was working, Chuck Garric (bassist for Alice Cooper) same hotel. He and I hung out for about an hour chatting about gear and fatherhood. Also Carlos Mencia.

Lesser known people, Mike Schleibaum and Ryan Parrish from Darkest Hour, all of Amon Amarth, Ill Nino, Brann Dailor of Mastadon.

Lesser known in USA but probably more in Europe:

Petri Lindroos and Markus Toivonen from Ensiferum (Finland)

Olli Vänskä and Netta Skog from Turisas (Finland)

Heri Joensen, Terji Skibenæs, Gunnar Thomsen and Kári Streymoy of Týr (Faroe Islands)

Former Baltimore Oriole, Boog Powell

Former Washington Redskin, Darrell Green

Not sure if he is famous but I am friends with the bass player for Fighting Gravity. They were pretty local but I think the toured in far away places though I don't think they ever had a gold album.

On the late 60's it was not unusual for the "famous" musicians to just hang with regular folks because they were themselves just like the rest of us. They were us. Some that I ran into were Janis, Morrison and Zappa - all no longer with us. Paul Kantner, Taj Mahal, Jerry Brown and Robert Crumb, all still with us. I met Ansel Adams and my mother told me that I met Ty Cobb. They hadn't gotten to the point of isolating themselves from the public.

Because of my involvement in "radical" politics I met a lot of famous and infamous ranging from Maureen Reagan to Eldridge Cleaver.

If you live long enough you will encounter the famous and even outlive them.

That's so awesome! Wish I could've met Jim. I visited his grave in Paris.

Also met Roger Moore' date=' aka; James Bond at a book signing in New York City.

[/quote']

Morrison was actually a little obnoxious and arrogant. But quite often the wildly creative are. Janis was a sweetheart, though.

Paul McCartney

Doc Severinson

Jerry Lee Lewis

Eddie Van Halen

Alex Van Halen

Michael Anthony

Drew Barrymore (she used to go to all our shows)

Lita Ford

Randy Rhoads

The Guys from Warrant

The Guys from Guns N Roses

The guys from Ratt

The guys from Dokken

The Guys from Quiet Riot

Yngwie Malsteem

Neal Schon

The Guys from Great White

Guys from Metallica

Guys and Gal from No Doubt

Jay Leno

Guys from Posion

Guys from Panterra

Maynard Ferguson

Claude Gordon (My trumpet teacher)

Rosanne Cash

Engelbert Humperdinck

Carmine Appice

Joan Jett

Don Landee

Snoop Dogg (his daughter plays softball at the Walnut League where my daughter plays)

Used to hang some with Billy Gibbons. He would visit the music store I worked at back in the 90's........drop off a guitar for some tweaking mostly. We both collected water-transfer nose art decals at the time. I had found a source for some cool ones from Italy so we swapped "girls" and war stories. A good friend of mine runs a "relic" guitar building outfit (Big Tex Guitars) and he and I spent quite some time with BFG sussing out the details of some Tele-style guitars he ordered and then played at the 2007 VH1 Legends of Rock Show in Las Vegas. Gave him a lot of grief over his "worm hat"........a gift he said from the chief of some African village. He'd hang in my office, making phone calls as a member of ZZ Top's support crew..........never asked why he wanted to remain anonymous for those calls. Nice guy.....a bit out there, but a good soul.

Paul McCartney

Doc Severinson

Jerry Lee Lewis

Eddie Van Halen

Alex Van Halen

Michael Anthony

Drew Barrymore (she used to go to all our shows)

Lita Ford

Randy Rhoads

The Guys from Warrant

The Guys from Guns N Roses

The guys from Ratt

The guys from Dokken

The Guys from Quiet Riot

Yngwie Malsteem

Neal Schon

The Guys from Great White

Guys from Metallica

Guys and Gal from No Doubt

Jay Leno

Guys from Posion

Guys from Panterra

Maynard Ferguson

Claude Gordon (My trumpet teacher)

Rosanne Cash

Engelbert Humperdinck

Carmine Appice

Joan Jett

Don Landee

Snoop Dogg (his daughter plays softball at the Walnut League where my daughter plays)

Jesus Christ' date=' I think you forgot to add him to the list.

Duane, next time you list these folks could you please alphabetize.

[blink[biggrin]

Archived