Gibson Brands Forums

Rush

Kimbabig

CB and Riverside echo my thoughts. I remember in high school there was this contingent of kids who claimed that Peart was the best drummer ever; Lee the best bassist, yaddayaddayadda. But in the end, I could never get into Geddy's "banshee yowl" or the cosmically-bent lyrics. I do want to see the new documentary on them: apparently, they toured with KISS once and abhorred the mere thought of groupies.

Well I think everyone pretty much knows that they are my favorite band. They are great musicians but the things that I admire most about them are 1) they always did it their way, and 2) they are very humble. For example, Neil Peart is STILL taking drum lessons!! Say what you will but he's always in the top 5 list of anyone's "best drummer" poll but he still doesn't think he's learned enough. Plus they complement each other very well. Name me another bass player and drummer that work together as well as Lee and Peart?

Lifeson is underrated too. The man can play anything. But when asked about that he keeps saying "I'm not that good." Think about how many shows they've done over the years. Think about the fact that they made it through the 70's to now with a steady stream of loyal fans. Listen to how they've evolved through the years. Their latest single "Caravan" is out of this world. Listen to this starting at the 3:20 mark...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoEgIlhbUc[/YOUTUBE]

Where did that guitar solo come from??? That's just nuts...

Great combos for sure, but not close to what Peart and Lee do IMHO. Don't get me wrong I think they're all great but I don't see the very fine details that Lee and Peart do. Entwistle was a huge influence on Lee and Moon was a huge influence on Peart though. I just think Peart and Lee took it to another level. I know it's all subjective and I'm probably biased...

A good example is the beginning of The Spirit of Radio.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with Rocketman 1000%. RUSH is the best band ever. Musicianship, Lyrics, and even vocals. They just fit the music well. Alex is a guitarist's dream and my total inspiration.

Hopefully I'm going to see the Behind the Lighted Stage movie tonight.

Baba Looey... GREAT PICTURE. I was there when they came to St. Louis. Love the doublenecks. Wish Geddy would still use his Rickenbackers.

Archived