Gibson Brands Forums

Job and guitar time?

Silenced Fred

What is your job' date=' and how do you find time to play guitar and/or play shows? I am trying to decide on a career, and I need ideas. Throw em out there please. No poll this time [biggrin']

Shouldn't you choose a career depending on what you like to do and your strong suits and not based on playing guitar though?

Thats what I'm doing.

Shouldn't you choose a career depending on what you like to do and your strong suits and not based on playing guitar though?

Thats what I'm doing.

I don't know what I like, I want to either be a radio jockey, just playing guitar, or run a business, but I think the last one will eat up all of my time

I work in photo camera rentals and repairs, basic 9-5 5 day work week. I usually only get to play on my day off and saturdays after work at a friends house where we can crank up the amps past 9pm. Wish I had more time, but I tend to make time when really needed.

Stay away from computers.

You could be the president or something... that seems like an easy gig. Plus you get free guitars!

barack-obama-guitar.jpg

It probably wasn't free. Like everything else with this administration our children and grandchildren will be left holding the bag when pay day comes. [biggrin]

Is that a real picture of Einstein? I've never seen that before.

When I got my Tele I didn't have any time to play it for like a week because of work. But at least I could buy it. Since then I'm not as busy.

You can compare it with this but im gonna say no.

einstein.jpg

I run my own company and it does take up a lot of my time. I also have a Half Stack in my office and when everyone leaves around 4:00 I crank it up and play a while every day. I wish I made a living playing guitar but I don't. I play guitar to keep me living young.

Concentrate on your career path, find out which things you do best and love doing, 'because that's the job that will be best for you in the end ...

And the genius who launched the myth that you can't play the guitar enough anymore once you're on a job, I would like to meet ... that is if he got time for me:-"

I'm also searching for a career. I wish i could just play the guitar like angus and malcolm did back in the old days. But these days you have to make a living and what not. And trying to find guys my age who just want to play rock and roll and not all that heavy metal and thrash metal(accidently typed trash lol) stuff is getting hard to find. Maybe I'll meet some people in college to jam with. I can only hope.

I'm also searching for a career. I wish i could just play the guitar like angus and malcolm did back in the old days. But these days you have to make a living and what not. And trying to find guys my age who just want to play rock and roll and not all that heavy metal and thrash metal(accidently typed trash lol) stuff is getting hard to find. Maybe I'll meet some people in college to jam with. I can only hope.

I have the exact same problem word for word. It makes me sad :)

I'm a civil engineer, land surveyor and land planner. What you do between now and when you're 21 will make all the difference in your life. The best thing to do is stay in school and go to college if you can.

What you'll find out is that people who invest alot of effort in their education make their lives so much easier later on.

The medical field is good. Computers, engineering. Being a lawyer is a good gig if you like people and can stand to get involved with everybody's problems. Try to figure out where all the jobs are going to be in ten years.

Like somebody said here before, the better the job, the more Les Pauls you can buy. That's the way it works for the 95% of us that aren't professional caliber guitarists.

Your desire to be able to play more guitar shouldn't influence your career choice. I think it hangs a lot on the time you devote the guitar outside of work hours. If you're finding it difficult to balance work with time spent on recreational pursuits including playing guitar, then it may come down to simply buying out the time needed to do what you really want to do (like playing guitar)

For example, I work in the security industry and I don't get much time while I'm on nights rostered to work. When I get home after my shift which is usually around 6am I have to get to sleep and don't get up until around 2 or 3 pm. Then I spend time getting ready for work and so there's little time to set aside for guitar. But when I get my days off, I push myself to get the guitar out and play it for as long as I can and set other recreational pursuits as a lesser priority. The well used cliche of "where there's a will, there's a way" is very true in many things.

I don't know what I like' date=' I want to either be a radio jockey, just playing guitar, or run a business, but I think the last one will eat up all of my time[/quote']

I've been working in broadcasting for the last twenty years mostly television and film. I currently work in both television and radio in the Denver market. I now know why I never went to radio! The pay sucks, be ready to lose your job at a moments notice, be ready to move to find a better job constantly. The only time you would have to play guitar is when you aren't looking or worried about your job. I had a room mate years ago who worked for the Post Office and pulled in about 60 Gs a year and always had time to have scams on the side to make other money.

Ya! I'd say go postal!

Archived