Gibson Brands Forums

Recently acquired Country Western.

fp

With some urging from Gilliangirl and her help with hosting the pictures, I wanted to share my 1959 CW with the good folks here who appreciate these blinged out J50's.

I got this a few months ago. It was on E-Bay then pulled off. I contacted the seller and they pulled it off to add pictures and do some other changes to their ad. The store that had it was selling it for the original owner. The owner told the seller he'd take a certain dollar amount for it, I offered a bit less and we were able to work out a deal that worked for both of us.

The guitar is fairly clean except for a bit of belt buckle wear on the back and a bit of pick wear on top. It came with Grover Rotomatics and I changed those out to a new set of the original replacement Klusons that are correct for the guitar. Check out the original case that is in great condition. The guitar was a sweet deal but the case makes it even sweeter.

Soundwise it's great. I'm surprised by the big strong voice this has for a short scale slope shoulder guitar.

Anyway that's about it, now if Karen would get those pic's up !

With some urging from Gilliangirl and her help with hosting the pictures' date=' I wanted to share my 1959 CW with the good folks here who appreciate these blinged out J50's.

I got this a few months ago. It was on E-Bay then pulled off. I contacted the seller and they pulled it off to add pictures and do some other changes to their ad. The store that had it was selling it for the original owner. The owner told the seller he'd take a certain dollar amount for it, I offered a bit less and we were able to work out a deal that worked for both of us.

The guitar is fairly clean except for a bit of belt buckle wear on the back and a bit of pick wear on top. It came with Grover Rotomatics and I changed those out to a new set of the original replacement Klusons that are correct for the guitar. Check out the original case that is in great condition. The guitar was a sweet deal but the case makes it even sweeter.

Soundwise it's great. I'm surprised by the big strong voice this has for a short scale slope shoulder guitar.

Anyway that's about it, now if Karen would get those pic's up ![/quote']

What a beauty! Very nice, and a 59!

Frank

Round shoulders, parallelogram position markers, and a pink-plush lined, brown case.... Yow!!! Now that's hot....

Then you add in the figured Spruce and the really beautiful Mahogany....

And, well..... "It's all too much."

Jack6849

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I had been looking for one of these or a J50 for some time and came upon this one and everything fell into place and was able to get it.

It came with some interesting paperwork from the original owner. It's an insurance policy sold from the Jenkins Music Company which covers the cost of the guitar, $179.50 and the case $47.00. The policy is dated 1/9/60.

Apparently the buyer bought it on an installment plan and had to purchase the policy to cover it until he had paid off the balance.

Beautiful guitar! By the way, in today's world according to this index $179.50 would be worth $1300 now. Try getting a new one for that!!

Here is the link

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Depends on which index you go by too; I found this also based on $180 in 1959

http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/result.php?use[]=DOLLAR&use[]=GDPDEFLATION&use[]=VCB&use[]=UNSKILLED&use[]=MANCOMP&use[]=NOMGDPCP&use[]=NOMINALGDP&year_source=1959&amount=180&year_result=2009#

Very cool' date=' I saw one when a young lady opened for Sara Watkins several months ago. She said it had spent some 20 years under a bed. [/quote']

It's great when you find an old time capsule like that. However, sometimes acoustics that have been stored for decades may be a bit disappointing when you play them as they have never been played in. I have a 1960's J-45 that is almost museum quality, almost certainly because it wasn't played much, but I've had it 8 years and I'm still playing it in!!!

Wow, that is nice!

I drool for the case. My own '59 CW came with the original chipboard alligator case. Both the guitar and the case are in "under the bed" original condition, I mean pristine except, curiously, for several severely worn frets (but no fretboard or neck wear! Huh?) If you handled the guitar and didn't look closely at the frets, you'd swear it was brand new. But the case, though well preserved, is nothing compared to your lovely hard case.

I also have a '57 CW which had been apparently gigged in bars a lot, and has a nice tobacco patina and lots of play wear in the usual places, neck inlays falling out, etc. It came with the original pink satin-lined hard case, like yours, but it, too, is in pretty worn shape. The '57 sounds great, though, having been played a lot more than than the cherry '59.

Enjoy that guitar!

Brian Adams

Reno, NV

Brian, the case was the deal maker for me. It is actually in a little cleaner condition then the guitar.

The only negative about the case is that even though it's meant to house this guitar, like so many vintage, original cases I've had, they just don't hold the guitar as tight as a good quality modern case does.

That is a gorgeous lookig CW, and for a 59 in outstanding shape !

I have a 69 CW which sounds exactly as you described it, big, open and wonderfully woody tone, and a killer midrange.

Which strings do you use on it btw ?

Enjoy !

cheers,

Mark

Archived