Gibson Brands Forums

How good are you?

ponty

Does anyone here own a Gibson ( Or other high end acoustic) and just get by on a few chords? I have owned dozens of high ends

over the years, but I remain a rank novice!! Well, better than a beginner, I have 'performed' at folk clubs, even Infront of Martin Carthy who politely applauded!! Looking at some youtube videos, there is some great talent out there. But there is nothing like playing a few chords on a Gibson.

i read this and was like..."hahahaha thats me!"

ha

i think people all play for different reasons...i can only speak for myself but i enjoy the guitar as a work of art...if it were silent i would still be drawn to its beauty...its form and function!

when you strum a few chords on a gibson that warmth just fills a room and in turn your grin gets wider and wider...this is what gibson's do for me that other guitars just dont seem to duplicate...that is how i know...regardless of talent...i will be a gibson acoustic man for life!

Man, I can tear it up.....................................on about 20 songs that I have been playing for 30 years.....................of course, no one has actually heard me play and sing besides my wife and two dogs.................I'm rarely up the neck for anything..................about every six months my wife compliments me on how good I am but I'm sure she wonders how I can play the same songs over and over and over and over................at 67 years old I see myself about to make a big public splash but have thought that way for years..................each time I pick up the guitar and began to belt out one of the household favorites the dogs do come into to the den to listen......................in the last year I do think I have improved......I sound alot better..............of course, my hearing is going now....... a result of running too many power tools without ear protection...............and, yes, someday before the big guy calls me up to that grand ole opry in the sky, I hope to have one of those sweet J-45 TV's and finger up a G chord in the first position.

Nothing beats the sound of an open G chord! Except maybe an open E chord!

I'm quite happy to play my little 3 chord songs most of the time but I do have to admit that I have this weird thing I love to do. I love to play along with CDs and play the same song over and over again til I get a certain chord progression to a point where it's smooth and really rocks out. So for example, Saturday night (while sipping a beverage) I took the chords to a song I usually play, them altered them just slightly (sus2's and 4's, etc). Then I played along with the song until I had it really smooth with this wraparound chord progression over and over. I get a real kick out of doing that. I think the chord progression that night was Bmsus2 - D - F#m - E. Hmmmm, I think I need to practice that now.

Great! I am not alone in the world. JDWags...your comments are me all over...except I am not yet on to 20 songs. When I play, my wife asks 'is that tune number 3 or 4?' However basic we play, we play better with a Gibson (or your favourite brand)

Great! I am not alone in the world. JDWags...your comments are me all over...except I am not yet on to 20 songs. When I play' date=' my wife asks 'is that tune number 3 or 4?' However basic we play, we play better with a Gibson (or your favourite brand)[/quote']

My wifes often says

"Darling, that sounds like number 2!"

Ponty. Who cares how "good" you are? Just try and be better than you were yesterday.

Over the years I have spent so much time in guitar shops picking up a Vox electric (1964) to these days picking up a high end Gibson or Fylde.

I do the same each time play about three chords very queitly loook down the neck, ask about the case and dole the money over.

So I fall into this category.

When my son or Therm picks up my 335 she sings so sweetly!!

With me.... well I call her the Dumb Blonde....... If you get my drift.

However the chords I do know I know quite well, I have learnt a transistion here and there my vocab is many more than three.

My hang up, when playing for other folks, is my voice.... I can't sing. Years of smokes and rows ( from the first marriage) have rendered a souless squeak!

So thats why there's no You Tube form Johnt!

Have to admire you folks who do put it out there

I have refused to subject the music loving world to my voice.

Cutaway guitars - well, there ain't no note above the 12th fret that I can't play below it.

The acoustic guys tell me I add too much Chuck Berry to my blues. The electric guys tell me I play too many folksinger chords.

Nobody told me it was going to be this hard.

Does anyone here own a Gibson ( Or other high end acoustic) and just get by on a few chords? I have owned dozens of high ends

over the years' date=' but I remain a rank novice!! Well, better than a beginner, I have 'performed' at folk clubs, even Infront of Martin Carthy who politely applauded!! Looking at some youtube videos, there is some great talent out there. But there is nothing like playing a few chords on a Gibson.[/quote']

Some Bossa Nova grooves, I love those jazzy chords!

Been at this since '62. Took some fingerpicking and later, flatpicking lessons early on and have worked at it ever since. I taught in several local music stores in the '60s and '70s. Studied with a classical teacher too and learned how to read and write what I play. About 10 years ago I got into jazz and learned some beautiful chords and how to play chord/melody. I'm in two bands at present (one on just dobro) and play out regularly where I mainly sing and play rhythm.

Been at this since '62. Took some fingerpicking and later' date=' flatpicking lessons early on and have worked at it ever since. I taught in several local music stores in the '60s and '70s. Studied with a classical teacher too and learned how to read and write what I play. About 10 years ago I got into jazz and learned some beautiful chords and how to play chord/melody. I'm in two bands at present (one on just dobro) and play out regularly where I mainly sing and play rhythm.[/quote']

I tried to take some lessons with a jazz player back in the early 1970s. Thought I might learn to play properly. I used to drive him nuts. In particular he hated my habit of lopping my left thumb over the side of the neck. I was a blues player and was used to fretting bass notes with my left thumb. He would literally reach over and pull my thumb off the neck and reposition my hand "properly." But alot of the ryhthm stuff I play today I got from him.

I've been playing off and on since 1958 and won't thrill amyone with my guitar work or voice, but I can get buy- if it's 3 chords. I've got a couple of fingerpicking things I can do, and a couple of flatpicking tunes as well, but mostly its 3 chord strumming and sing along. I'll sing if you will. I don't like singing for people but I'll sing with them.

Archived