Gibson Brands Forums

How has Music Affected your Life?

Artie Owl

Does anyone have any inspirational stories about music turning their lives around? Or Maybe music destroying their lives?

I don't know about either of those for me, but I have music to thank for the dedication and patience I have towards learning new things in life. If I didn't have music who knows what I would have used to fill the void. I think it's also given me a great sense of timing and the ability to listen to others play, I wouldn't trade my music for anything.

Anyone else?

Yeah it has to me.

I wasnt the same person after South Of Heaven appeared on my door step. [crying]

It made me realzied how life could be more enjoyble and that there is more to it then just friends and video games.

So yeah i owe music big time!

Music has gotten me through some pretty tough times. Relating to it is what I mean. and in a different spectrum picking up guitar was the best thing that ever happened to me. I used to suffer from manic depression, I couldn't find anything that I liked and I tried it all. Until one day I got a guitar and really got into it. and now I'm the happy guy you see today.

Music has affected my life in VERY VERY positive way. I was really down and out and sort of in a depression (courtesy of all the Evil Woman I knew). One day my cousin was going to go smoke some pot, I was going to roll with him... But I said "I dont want to be that person" towards Smoking Marijuana and towards Woman. So instead I picked up the guitar. Some people turn to Drugs, food, girls, or whatever for comfort while in depression, I turn to the Gibson in the Corner of my room. No one likes feeling alone or depressed.

PEACE DUDES!!!

Music has always been there for me! When I'm really stressed or upset about something I just turn on some AC/DC and forget about it all. When I'm angry, there's nothing that can sooth the soul better than music and in my case that music will always be classic rock. ;)

I was fresh out of dropping out of college with no real direction when I met a guy, the friend of a friend, and we ended up putting together a band. 3 years later we were touring 200 dates a year, which led me to the gig that gave me 10 years at the Grand Ole Opry. Now, with 20+ years of professional playing behind me, I wonder what would have happened if he and I had not met that night...

A toast...to fate, chance, or serendipity.

It has defined me honestly. Before I was 10, I had what I'd call a run of the mill (per my age group) music taste. Then my dad, got me listening to some of the clash. It was awesome, then I watched The Last Waltz, that hit home even moreso. Ever since I've been obsessed with music of that era. I kept listening to whatever popped up on pandora, the radio in the car, heck anywhere I could find. It's blossomed considerably from there, stretching from Robert Johnson, to Led Zeppelin, to Pat Metheny, to Bach. Music touches everyone in it's own way. Once I started actually listening to the music, I really started to love it. I didn't start to learn guitar because of any one person, and if I had to credit a single person in getting me to start playing guitar, it would me my 'ol man.

Once I started to listen to some of the more lyrically based music, say Bob Dylan, Neil young and the like I started to gain an appreciation for the words over the kickass guitarring. I even decided to read some Hemingway (I've always been an avid reader, thanks to my 6th grade teacher) and well, I love how he writes (but thats a whole different story). I even started reading poetry (I used to hate poetry... now I just hate writing it!)

Seeing BB King, Santana (Derek Trucks at the same show) and a decent load of others really got it all flowing for me. The reason BB and Carlos are still playing, is the reason I am playing, they love it!

Then of course, pandora kept pushing it farther, and even these forums :-#. Chet Atkins, Joe Bonamassa, and loads of other artists have been introduced to me by you effers. Thanks :P

Playin' guitar's helped me through rough patches, as it has for a good number of people.

Mostly, I just love being able to make music :)

My grandpa was a violinist...that is how he fed 5 kids a wife and mother-in-law.

I knew from very early that it took hours of rehearsal to get one five minute song right and that was for a song they already knew. I was used to seeing his face and that of my uncles on record covers and hearing them on the radio.

My mom was a lounge singer. I watched her work the stage and give 100% to a crowd that wasn't paying attention, heard her sing above clanking and cackles.

Music is work.

Music is a gift. It's been a blessing for me to make something out of an instrument. I was one that was supposed to fall through the cracks. It's not the thing that changed my life the most, but it's a component. "Praise Him with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

A sense of awe...at what other's can play, compose, and how that can emotionally effect me, etc.

A sense of frustration...at what I constantly struggle, to achieve, musically.

A sense of relief, and renewal...for the soul.

A sense of inspiration and joy, when I DO manage to accomplish what I set out to do, musically.

It's truly a wonderous gift, no matter the space one occupies, within it.

It's anger, sorrow, joy, love, sex, beauty, and a real reason, to keep on, keeping on...

I truly cannot imagine life, without music....nor, do I want to.

CB

A sense of awe...at what other's can play' date=' compose, and how that can emotionally effect me, etc.

A sense of frustration...at what I constantly struggle, to achieve, musically.

A sense of relief, and renewal...for the soul.

A sense of inspiration and joy, when I DO manage to accomplish what I set out to do, musically.

It's truly a wonderous gift, no matter the space one occupies, within it.

It's anger, sorrow, joy, love, sex, beauty, and a real reason, to keep on, keeping on...

I truly cannot imagine life, without music....nor, do I want to.

CB

[/quote']

*Throws up Lighter and waves it back and forth

When I was a tot, my favorite toys were the musical ones.

I joined the school band in Junior High School, first on drums and then on sax.

I got into a little rock band, we were terrible but so was everybody else back then. We got a gig at a junior high school dance. There I was on the stage, playing some of my favorite songs with my best friends, and the girl who wouldn't look at me in English class was suddenly 'making eyes' at me. And at the end of the night they actually paid me!!!!!

Other than a few straight 'day gigs' I had, testing the non musical waters, I've been a pro musician all my life (sax, flute, wind synthesizer, guitar, bass, drums, keyboard synthesizer, arranger, and aftermarket style/song disk author for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith.

I probably would have made more money if I had stayed in the Electronics career which I took classes in, but I wouldn't have been as happy. I buy new cars (and drive them 'till they are done), have a modest house in a very good neighborhood, and instead of saying "I have to go to work today", I say "I get to go to work today."

So what has it given me. Intimate relations with more women than most other guys and eventually the best woman for me on the entire planet, who is my wife, lover, best friend and band-mate.

The chance to meet and either play with or warm up for people like Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Eric Burdon, Cyndi Lauper, "The Funk Brothers", Ira Sullivan, Marvin Gaye, Tom Scott, Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, The Blue Notes (after Harold Melvin left), Rick Derringer, Terry Kath, Little Anthony and quite a few others. And we met as equals, fellow musicians.

I've been to every US state except Hawaii, much of Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, China, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico and many of the smaller Caribbean Islands.

A career that is a joy.

A wise man once said, "If you make a living doing what you would do for free, you will never work a day in your life." And other than those few "day gigs" I had, I've never worked a day in my life. That's why they call it playing music.

In summary, music has given me a great life (so far).

Insights and incites by Notes ?

I'm not sure I can say how music has most affected my life since it's always been such a part of it. My parents sang together in public back in an era when that was pretty important in small towns.

Mom had me started playing a bit of piano when I was 4 and, of course, I hated it and couldn't wait until 4th grade and my first trumpet. Played that through high school in everything from orchestra to rock/jazz bands. After high school guitar because I didn't need a band to play and do vocals. But I did.

I've played for money, for benefits, to teach, to make me happier when I was sad and to relax from stress.

Actually I think all of us have music as far more a part of our lives than we realize, even if we're deaf.

I just "shot" a Northern Cheyenne drum and dance group this morning. A point was made that some of their music simply follows the natural rhythms of the heartbeat. We feel that even if we don't hear it. Our body by nature has rhythms and we tend to move by them.

Given the "hearbeat" thing, I think perhaps we might even suggest that music is a reflection of the rhythm of life; in ways, it "is" life. It's just that it is more obviously "life" for some of us than others. It's a metaphor for some; layers upon layers of life experience for others ... others who perhaps are not totally unlike me.

m

I stepped into a music store back in about 2000 and a 40th anniversary F----- custom shop bass was hanging on a hook and I thought, that's for me!.

Since that time, I have had some serious issues at work and I purchased guitars to get my mind off of the unfair things I was dealing with at work. When I realized that most of the instruments I had were "copies" of Gibson guitars, I eventually sold the non U.S. made instruments to get U.S. made Gibson guitars. I over-extended myself financially many times to purchase these fine instruments to get my mind off of the unfair and punitive issues at work.

I found some part-time custodian jobs to help pay for my guitars. I ended up "Blowing the Whistle" on the organization I have worked for full time due to mismanagement and abuse of authority that pertained to me. I know it's pretty strange, but buying these guitars is what helped me keep my mind off of the insanity at work. I know the truth to the issues, but my peers were afraid to speak-up to defend me. The issues still have not been resolved, but hopefully they will be soon.

I think I ended up more of a guitar collector than a guitar player, but I appreciate the challenge to actually play some music. I know I'm not too good, but I'm getting better every day![blush]

I've always loved music, especially the hard/classic music beginning in the 70's. I love my Gibson guitars, and I love the Gibson forum for providing me an opportunity to "bare my soul" tor speak honestly to other folks that also enjoy the Gibson guitars for various reasons. Most people, including my wife, wouldn't understand...

Hi my guitars have kept me sane over the past year,being confined to the house awaiting a spinal operation.Iwas always out and about always very busy.I can honestly say my les paul has saved my sanity and my life.Having operation any time now,i will miss my guitars as they cant come in there with me.But lots of practice while im getting better

Music has been a double edged sword for me.

Music is the reason I am still here. If it wasn't for the guitar or drums I would have offed myself years ago. My teen years were very unkind. I had a lot of problems with depression coupled with the awkwardness of being bad at sports (which I loved) and being horrible at talking to the ladies. Guitar gave me something to be good at, a sense of accomplishment, and a way to speak loudly when my physical voice could not. My love of music runs deep. It always has an answer for how I feel. Depressed? There's a song for that. Trippy? There's a song for that. Amped up happy? There's a song for that. Angry? There's a song for that too. Nothing compares to the feeling you get when you and your band mates hit that stride; when everyone is digging in and playing on the same wavelength, amplifying that wave to euphoric nirvana. There is a heaven and I have been to it.

It has also caused me a lot of pain and suffering. No woman has ever understood the deep connection music has in me. Most people wonder when I will outgrow this band thing. The last band I was in, I poured my heart and soul into like no other music project. I was finally reaching a point in my life where I was finally comfortable with my playing; songs were pouring out of me like an unstoppable fountain; as far as what I could play or create, the sky was the limit; to use the sports term, I was in the zone. Then it all came crashing down. Between inner band struggles and girlfriend fights, the band broke up. I suffered a nervous breakdown and have not been the same since.

Sometimes I think about giving it all up or wonder why I invested my heart in this stupid thing. But what would I do without it? Surrender to the sloth, suburban life style of network TV shows and fast food? Never.

Archived