Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson raid aftermath: Feds want company to forfeit guitars made with ebony

tazzboy

Trying to prove a point again they probably spent a million dollars in American tax payers money to investigate one of the few companies that actually care about the hardwood environment and these geniuses seize six guitars. They need to fire all these special needs enforcement agents and worry about real crime.

Sounds like they basically found nothing except a few pieces of ebony, and that nobody could prove that those few pieces were legal or illegal.

Sounds like Gibson didn't do anything wrong and that they couldn't prove anything. Thanks, Gibson, for doing the right thing by cooperating. Y'all turned out to be the good guys.

"...investigation by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

The century-old Lacey Act combats trade in illegal wildlife, fish and plants, and underwent an expansion in 2008 to include timber and wood products.

... Feds want company to forfeit guitars made with ebony - Nashville Business Journal"

Hmm... they just picked up wood products. :-k Could it be someone at USF&W is trying to make a name for himself?

They want possession? I think, If I were Henry J., I'd take 5 of my most trusted lawyers, then ask for a last look at them for a serial number inspection, or.. whatever. Then in a single chorus, El Kabong them all on the concrete floor,

ElKabong.jpg

then hand them back to the evidence room attendant. What they said was, they wanted possession of them. No one said they had to be operational.

I didn't know Ebony was on the protected list.

Oh BOY, Wooppee...Let's make it harder and harder, for USA companies, to build their own products, here...

then...maybe ALL guitars will HAVE to be made out of mystery wood, and IN CHINA...Like EVERYTHING

else is, these days! Sorry...I feel a real "Rant" coming on, so I'll stop here! ;>b

CB

"...investigation by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

The century-old Lacey Act combats trade in illegal wildlife' date=' fish and plants, and [u']underwent an expansion in 2008[/u] to include timber and wood products.

... Feds want company to forfeit guitars made with ebony - Nashville Business Journal"

Hmm... they just picked up wood products. [cool] Could it be someone at USF&W is trying to make a name for himself?

They want possession? I think, If I were Henry J., I'd take 5 of my most trusted lawyers, then ask for a last look at them for a serial number inspection, or.. whatever. Then in a single chorus, El Kabong them all on the concrete floor,

ElKabong.jpg

then hand them back to the evidence room attendant. What they said was, they wanted possession of them. No one said they had to be operational.

I didn't know Ebony was on the protected list.

Why not just take off the fretboards? or were they also seizing the guitars with "rare woods" so they'd need the whole guitar.

I would sleep better at night if the USFW was down fighting the remnants of the oil spill rather than going after a few pieces of ebony.

Yeah, and how about the "Fed's" securing our borders, and siding with Arizona, to uphold the laws

already ON the books, instead of suing them? #$%^&*~!!!

CB

Yeah' date=' and how about the "Fed's" securing our borders, and siding with Arizona, to uphold the laws

CB[/quote']

Wont happen with before 2013. Priorities are all screwed up in our government.

Yeah' date=' and how about the "Fed's" securing our borders, and siding with Arizona, to uphold the laws

CB[/quote']

Here are some laws already on the books. It might tickle the bone. From LegalZoom:

Women and the Law

Not surprisingly, many of the antiquated statutes passed in the late 1800s and early 1900s were aimed at protecting the fairer sex from unwanted attention or less-than-flattering reputations. For example, an old city ordinance in Cleveland, Ohio prohibits women from wearing patent leather shoes in public. The reason? Shiny footwear could afford a nearby gentleman an unintentional peep show.

In many parts of the country, the price of beauty can be stiff. Women in Florida, for example, can be fined for falling asleep under a dryer in a hair salon. And if you're a single thrill-seeker, head some place else. The sunshine state also prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sundays.

Forget about trying to publicly adjust your stockings in either Dennison Texas or BristolTennessee. Performing such a lewd act could land you a sentence of up to twelve months in the state penitentiary.

If you're a woman living in Michigan, you might want to check with your husband before heading to the hair stylist. According to state law, your hair belongs to your spouse and you'll need his permission before you can alter it. When visiting Charlotte, North Carolina, don't plan on packing light. According to city law, you must be swathed in at least 16 yards of fabric before stepping out into public. Even in fashion forward New York City, there are laws concerning how a woman dresses. In the Big Apple, wearing clingy or body-hugging clothing carries a $25 dollar fine.

Not all old laws aimed at women are intended to preserve their virtue, however. Some were apparently designed to promote household hygiene and public safety. For example, Pittsburgh has a special cleaning ordinance on the books that bans housewives from hiding dirt under their rugs. And in Memphis, Tennessee, women can't drive a car unless there is a man with a red flag in front of the car warning the other people on the road.

That last one is hillarious!

Beaurocracy gone mad.

I understand trade in endangered species must be carefully controlled but this case is completely ridiculous.

Gibson should have removed the fingerboards from the necks and handed over the six slabs of ebony.

Beaurocracy gone mad.

I've said it for years, when I'm President I'll be taking laws OFF the books.

John Stossel has a neat rule for the legislature;

For every new law they want to pass, they should remove five laws from the books.

Best example I can think of?

22,000 gun laws in the USA.

Think there may be some redundancy?

I could cover EVERY conceivable contingency with 22 laws, and ENFORCE them, while guaranteeing 2nd Amendment Rights.

Archived