Gibson Brands Forums

How long do you play guitar for a day?

Geetar_Axl

I try to get in 30 minutes a day playing scales and dexterity and speed exercises. My acoustic and the Paul stay on stands in the family room and I pick them up and play in short bursts, usually during commercials (grin). You'd be surprised how much time you can get in with disturbing the family if you do that...about 20 minutes per hour.

I usually play at least for an hour a day, but some days I only play for like 20 minutes. When I play for at least an hour, I split it up into two sessions (for example: I would play for 35 minutes and then put my guitar away. I come back later and play for another 25 minutes). But, sometimes I do play it all at once. Does anyone else like to play their guitar at night? For some reason, that's when I like to play mine.

I have a pretty hectic schedule so not as often as I should or would like to; some days I don't get to play at all. If you add it up to a total over the course of a week, including band rehearsal (three hours), it probably comes to around four or five hours per week.

Sometimes I'l go a couple of days without playing and other days it's a marathon depends on my mood .

I don't really "practice" anymore but experiment with different licks .

Mostly I sit around wishing I was taking pics of Tim' Guitars ... :(

I used to play 5 hours a day... then there was a time when I played up to 7 hours... but now life has gotten in the way and I get to play 10 minutes a day if Im lucky... most of the times I pick a guitar up and just play two riffs and have to put it down again... my regular customers know when the material they are doing is boring and bad because I pick up a guitar and start practicing riffs hehehe, imagine that, some even say it out loud "ok people lets do this right... Otton just picked up his guitar".

On weekends I get to play for 4-7 hours a day as some friends (2 guitar players, 1 bass player and a drummer) come to the studio and we just jam the whole day (stopping only for beer).

Probably 30mins-1hour a day if I'm lucky. My practice habits have gone out the door. I usually try to write more than I practice and I spend alot of time switching between my two gits and a few pedal configs looking for an elusive tone.

Wed and Sundays I get about 4 hours in each on bass with band rehersal. So that keeps my playing hands in shape. I wish I had at least 2-3 hours a day to play but since college grad I have little to no time for the fun stuff anymore.

i like to play guitar at night to annoy my parents. 45 to 60 depending on how i feel

Are you saying you like to deliberately cause trouble ? (That explains everything).

Oh I like to get at least an hour a day. When I'm lucky two hours but not in a row =(.

I try to get an hour or two a day. I find I get much more out of extended sessions than when I play in 10-15 minute spurts. I guess it helps to get good and warmed up. I'll play more if I can, and less when life and work dictate. I am very lucky and get to work from home, at least for now... so it is pretty easy to pick up a guitar and play for a few minutes.

I have also heard that you are at your most creative right after you wake up and just before bed, so I try to plan some jam time then.

I usually have to steal 10 minutes here and there, and it's almost always unplugged. It's a rare treat when I can seriously play for an hour or more. One thing I do to drive the family crazy is to sit there with my guitar while everyone's watching TV and try to quickly pick out and play along with all the music from the TV. I've gotten that Home Depot tune down pretty good :D/ Edit: does anyone else have trouble getting the Dancing Smiley to work?

I "cram" when I know we have a gig coming up, but even then I always feel like I'm winging it at the gig.

Weekdays, anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours.

Weekends, up to 8 hours. By now my friends have learned not to call me on weekends (during the day) because I won't pick up the phone until I'm done.

I take lots of breaks, though, and that's when I usually check the forum. Put the guitar down, go to Gibson Forums, see what's new, leave Gibson forums, pick up the guitar and repeat.

I used to play 5 hours a day... then there was a time when I played up to 7 hours... but now life has gotten in the way and I get to play 10 minutes a day if Im lucky... most of the times I pick a guitar up and just play two riffs and have to put it down again... my regular customers know when the material they are doing is boring and bad because I pick up a guitar and start practicing riffs hehehe' date=' imagine that, some even say it out loud "ok people lets do this right... Otton just picked up his guitar".

On weekends I get to play for 4-7 hours a day as some friends (2 guitar players, 1 bass player and a drummer) come to the studio and we just jam the whole day (stopping only for beer).[/quote']

What do you do for a living....Otton? Wow, thats such a unqiue name! Cool, hows that pronounced?

Bloody Hell Tim, 8 Hours! How many songs do you know!?

Archived