Gibson Brands Forums

Lets try this one...

Guitar Chico

I also have yet to find a Fender Strat I'm comfortable with.... though the they do produce tones that are very appealing...

If you can still find one, a Gibson SG200 or 250 is close to curing that.... Sound of a Tele/Strat, but with the feel of a true Gibson.

My Strat shown here I've had for over 20 years and I love it;

DSCN5654.jpg

The difference being that it has two humbuckers and the pots are well away from the bridge where I like to rest my hand. Last summer I tried playing my cousin's "normal" strat and I found that with the placement of my picking hand I kept hitting the volume pot....a turn off for me since I'm too old to relearn how to play. I do love the tones from a regular 3 single coil Strat.

That being said I would have to say LP or SG although this strat is a keeper for me.

My First electric guitar was a new (at the time) '64 Strat. I still have it, and wouldn't think of parting with it!

To me, Strats and LP's are just, well...different! I don't really compare them, other than for tone differences,

for which I love both, equally...just FOR those differences. I've always thought a Strat was one of,

if not THE most comfortable guitars to play, overall. But, I love Telecasters, LP's, SG's, 335's, and Rickenbacker 12-strings, too. ;>b

CB

Dude! You're coming to an Epiphone (read "poor-man's gibson", and I'm speaking as one of the poor men) forum and asking "Les Paul or Fender?"! I would guess that this audience is, at least slightly, skewed toward Gibsons. What I'm saying is, your results are not going to be very meaningful. It's like me standing in that wonderful cigar store down the street and asking people who come in whether we should have the right to smoke in bars.:)

Oh, yeah, Les Paul.

Strat. LP's are too heavy and uncomfortable for me to play for any length of time. If I want to play a Gibson style humbucker equipped solidbody, I'll take an SG.

As a side note, what I find even more comfortable than a Strat is the offset waist body of a Jaguar.

Dude! You're coming to an Epiphone (read "poor-man's gibson"' date=' and I'm speaking as one of the poor men) forum and asking "Les Paul or Fender?"! I would guess that this audience is, at least slightly, skewed toward Gibsons. What I'm saying is, your results are not going to be very meaningful. It's like me standing in that wonderful cigar store down the street and asking people who come in whether we should have the right to smoke in bars.:-&

Oh, yeah, Les Paul.[/quote']

Ummm.... It's not like I'm doing a scientific study or something and I can name a few members that aren't especially satisfied with their epiphones. It's just for fun.

GC

Les Paul all the way, My first guitar was a strat and I grew to hate it

For me stratocasters just have no personality what so ever

You can say what you like, that is how I feel :)

I like telecasters much better

But considering Les Pauls are my favourite guitars, There you go :)

All things being equal (just plain crappy guitars don't count), I don't really dislike any guitars particularly. Strats sound great, play wonderfully and are a piece of music history every bit as much as LP's. Sitting at home with my guitar on my knee, I regularly trade off between several brands and body styles.

That having been said, I personally have a lot of respect for anyone who can play a strat WELL on stage. I just don't feel comfortable keeping that skinny slab of wood under control while I'm worrying about everything else that goes into a stage performance. Kudos to those that can!

A Les Paul, on the other hand, just feels like its part of me rather than a tool to be mastered and ruled!

Jim

The difference being that it has two humbuckers and the pots are well away from the bridge where I like to rest my hand. Last summer I tried playing my cousin's "normal" strat and I found that with the placement of my picking hand I kept hitting the volume pot....a turn off for me since I'm too old to relearn how to play...

Same problem here. I rewire my Strats for one volume & one tone, the pot by the pickup is not attached to anything. The other problem I have is resting my hand on the trem.

Archived