Gibson Brands Forums

What a day!!!

Silverbursted

I just got home from an afternoon at Bizarre Guitar in Phoenix. Where I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Mr. NeoConMan, and the lovely Mrs. NeoConMan (or NeoConWoman in this case). We had a great time talking and looking at the phenomenal selection BG offers. My intent for the day was to check out a new Traditional and see if I would like one of those or a new Standard. Holy Schnikees, there she was a gorgeous Desert Burst, with a flame to die for (exactly the finish I wanted). So in the "Joe Coolest" voice I could muster I asked to check it out. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to have Bob, the owner of the store helping me out. So Bob ordered one of his soldiers to retrieve it from the top rack, and he says "come with me". So off he goes to the back room with me, Neo, and my son in tow. He plugs into a Marshall 412 with a JCM 2000 head, and starts ripping away. One word: AMAZING!!! This thing was perfect out of the box, very full tone with no feedback. I asked him to play a Standard, so we could hear the difference. Eh, sounded OK but the Traditional blew it away, not even close (Neo will certainly vouch for that). So we stood around BSing, and listening to Bob's tales of his recent trip to Mecca (Gibson factory), all the while, I'm thinking, I got to have her, she is perfect. I'm sure your saying to yourself, yea right perfect. Well lets see, she had the best sound I've ever heard, a perfect finish, the beefy unchambered weight and a price I could not pass up, perfect!!! So I consulted with my son, and he said duh, what the hell else could you ask for? So, wham bam thank you man, I'm walking out the store with a new Les Paul. For those who were bashing the Traditional because of the TRC, all I can say is you are a dumb ***!!! IMO, this is everything a Les Paul should be and then some.

OK enough blathering, here she is (drum roll please)...

20080719_4367.jpg

20080719_4361.jpg

20080719_4348.jpg

20080719_4345.jpg

20080719_4338.jpg

20080719_4374.jpg

Can't wait to get her plugged in. Many thanks to Neo for hooking me up with Bob and Bizarre Guitar. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I asked him to play a Standard' date=' so we could hear the difference.

Eh, sounded OK but the Traditional blew it away, not even close (Neo will certainly vouch for that). [/quote']

Consider it vouched for! The sound was incredible as Bob ripped thru a dozen classic rock songs.

The pics don't do it justice.

Any of you guys who have seen the Desert Burst finish know what I'm talking about.

My wife LOVES that finish, said "you need to get one of those."

I told her the finish is cool, but "did you HEAR that damned thing?"

I love Bob's quote about the sound of heaven, Les Paul/Marshall.

Something about the gates of heaven being Marshall cabinets, and the door handles being Les Pauls.

Many thanks to Neo for hooking me up with Bob and Bizarre Guitar.

Aw, shucks....

It's the least I can do!

My wife asked me if I was bummed because SB bought such a cool guitar while I went home empty-handed.

Hell NO!!!

I told her I love it when ANYBODY gets a badass guitar, I can kinda live vicariously...

Bob is a riot when he takes the time to work with customers.

SB and his son got the VIP treatment today.

It just dawned on me....

He let SB use the bathroom.

Bob doesn't let ANYBODY use his bathroom!

DAMN!

I've bought $30k worth of gear down there, I've never even SEEN the bathroom!!!

:-)

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. Beautiful ax, congrats! =P~

Curious what difference, if any, the pleking process makes.

Why is it called bizarre guitars? Nothing 'bizarre' about this guitar. Just wondering. It's late and I'm tired ...

Gorgeous' date=' simply gorgeous. Beautiful ax, congrats! =P~

Curious what difference, if any, the pleking process makes.

Why is it called bizarre guitars? Nothing 'bizarre' about this guitar. Just wondering. It's late and I'm tired ...

[/quote']

It's supposed to eliminate any high spots on the frets so you don't get any buzzing.

I tell you what is bizarre about the place is, the selection of very high quality guitars, and not just Gibson.

Curious what difference' date=' if any, the pleking process makes.[/quote']

I dunno.

I'm not a fleet-fingered player, I can pull off maybe a dozen lead solos RIGHT.

I'm more of a rhythm & riff man, but the fingerboard on SB's new guitar was as good as any I ever played.

I was offered a chance to play it by SB (Hell yeah!) but only noodled around with it for a couple minutes with the Marshall stack turned down really low, and I found NO flaws in the set up or dead spots on the neck.

Gotta help in my opinion.

Some guitars have a neck made so well, maybe they would not see much change.

I think this ensures almost all Gibsons will be that way.

Bob (the owner) mentioned during his Gibson factory tour he saw all kinds of one-off and oddball prototypes.

This is the guy I bought the 12 string SG from.

Also saw the barrel of death, full of headstocks cut off guitars that were unfit to ship.

Why is it called bizarre guitars?

Bob opened that store 32 years ago.

Think back to 1976, and try to imagine a cool name to give your new guitar store that you own all by yourself...

Bizarre Guitar was born!

That's NICE!

I saw my first Traditional in Heritage Sunburst today at GC.

It too looked spectacular. I mean SPECTACULAR. I couldn't touch it for fear of GAS.

Now I hear they sound that way too??? Oh boy.....

Agreed' date=' if you want to avoid a bad case of GAS, DO NOT PICK THIS THING UP. They had the Desert Burst, Heritage Cherry and a Honey Burst. All 3 were beautiful. I got the pick of the litter IMHO.

silverbursted, I had my eye on that traditional, an awesome top. I am going there monday, hopefully meet up with Neoconman. I am not planning on buying anything, but let's see what happens, I know the new gibsons are rolling in!

I am not planning on buying anything' date=' but let's see what happens, I know the new gibsons are rolling in![/quote']

Too funny, I said those exact words this morning. I think Neo mentioned he was going to try and get into town on Monday. Pretty soon, Bob is going to have to put Neo on the payroll. All the guys in there are great, but Bob was a blast to work with. And don't worry, I saved you a HCB and a Honey Burst, both with phenomenal finishes. Good luck!!!

For those who were bashing the Traditional because of the TRC' date=' all I can say is you are a dumb ***!!![/quote']

Beautiful guitar SB! I am considering a gold top Traditional, but I am trying to resist the GAS! I have not ordered anything from BG yet, but I've e-mailed them many times and I am impressed with their service so far. I get the impression that their guitars are not handled like the guitars at GC (i.e., customers do not beat up the floor models). Would you and NeoConMan agree?

I'm glad Tim A referenced the PLEK sticker as a sticker. I assumed it was, but I was going to ask until I saw Tim's comment (by the way, very nice new guitar you have yourself, Tim).

Sweet!

Don't take that Pleked sticker off the pup...it'll affect the tone! =D>

This is your third LP' date=' right? DB, R7 and the silver.

What is that silver one again, anyways...a Standard?

I know it's a GC limited run.[/quote']

Yup, thats 3. Silverburst is a Standard.

I wasn't sure about the sticker, but I do know the dark burst gives it a darker sound.

I wish I could upload the video I took of Bob demoing the Traditional and Standard back to back comparison, but the audio quality is so bad from my cell phone you can't even hear the guitar. Gibson really hit a homerun with these. The Standard feels like its made of balsa wood, and very trebely throughout the sonic range. It's not as heavy as my R7, but close. IMO, the argument of if chambering makes a difference...it does. For those saving their pennies for a Standard, don't. These are right up there with quality and tone of a Reissue, for the price of a Classic (about $200 less than the Standard).

I get the impression that their guitars are not handled like the guitars at GC (i.e.' date=' customers do not beat up the floor models).

[/quote']

+1. You do not have the freedom to snatch what ever you want off the wall and start playing. The guys in the shop will always take the guitar off the wall and hand it to you. This is a good thing, because when you are looking at dropping that kind of money on a quality piece of gear, you can be assured that there weren't any kids shreading on it or swiping parts for trophies (ala GC).

++++

Beautiful guitar!

It's good to hear there are places that still offer the kind of service you received. After reading so many of Neo's posts about the place, I'm glad we got another viewpoint from someone different.

My only problem with your new Traditional is now I'm having major GAS!!! I want one of those in cherry burst now!

Congrats' date=' nice score may it brings you years of enjoyment.

What's your opinion of the Plek setup compared to your other Les Pauls ?[/quote']

Hard to say. I've never had any problems with dead notes or buzzing on either one. I suppose the process eliminates one potential cause to these problems.

Archived