Gibson Brands Forums

Is Their One Guitarist We All Can Agree On?

Rocky4

Here is a master list. If you like, you can copy edit, and repost. You can add a guitarist. You can delete a guitarist but give an explanation

Jimi Hendrix

Ritchie Blackmore

Billy Gibbons

Jeff Beck

Carlos Santana

Jimmy Page

Slash

Angus Young

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Eddie Van Halen

Eric Clapton

Tony Iommi

Chuck Berry

Your list was ****, so I fixed it. It now includes all the gods of Rock N' Roll. dry.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstmeasure...

Actually I'd say that, depending on how one takes the term "we" in this thread, probably the best thing would be a poll of a cross section of the U.S. or North America or "Western Europeans" to see whether some of the names mentioned here even ring a bell in most peoples' heads.

I hate to say this, but I doubt it.

It's not a matter of "is this or that player any good," which is subjective, but rather, "Have you ever heard of X as being a great guitar player, yes or no."

That's a whole different game.

m

He's a fine rock guitar player, but when he took that sound and played blues with it, he lost me. IMO, that heavy modern over driven sound has no place in the blues. My favorite era of the blues is the 50s Chess era. Players who took small tube amps and cranked them up for a fantastic sound. Elmore James, Herbert Sumlin, Morris Pejoe, etc. classic

You'll just have to live with the fact that I think Moore is a horrible blues player. He has no signature blues licks or sound.

sorry dude...

HE'S OUT!!!!!

Johnny Winter used to play with a ton of gain, too...

...Then again, I really am a much bigger fan of Johnny than I am of Gary. Now, if we want to talk about great blues (blues-rock, electric blues, what have you,) Johnny Winter simply cannot be left out of the discussion, IMHO. Johnny's also somewhat more versatile, I think, and in ways more authentic (being an albino would give someone the blues like nothing else.) I also love his voice...but I digress.

The original question was too open ended, too vague.

I agree, Chet Atkins is... what...? Good?... Great?... Legitimate?... Country?... Not in my kitchen?... Solid? (whatever that means)

Dumb thread.

Ziggie...

My thought was, as I said, it's at least one guitar player's name that a lotta folks across the age and musical interest spectrum has at least heard, whether they've heard his stuff or not.

As for all the other names tossed around, I'm not sure they'd bring the degree of name recognition as Atkins as a known skilled and talented guitarist.

Let's face it, in ways it's silly to compare Segovia to BB King because one might make the case they're playing entirely differently.

That's the strange and wonderful thing about "guitar." As Segovia said, it's an orchestra in itself and if one gets their thoughts together, consider what we might have with a classical fingerstyle "piano" part done by Segovia (assuming he were alive) for a blues with BB singing and soloing...

m

Firstmeasure...

Actually I'd say that, depending on how one takes the term "we" in this thread, probably the best thing would be a poll of a cross section of the U.S. or North America or "Western Europeans" to see whether some of the names mentioned here even ring a bell in most peoples' heads.

I hate to say this, but I doubt it.

It's not a matter of "is this or that player any good," which is subjective, but rather, "Have you ever heard of X as being a great guitar player, yes or no."

That's a whole different game.

m

That would be an interesting idea. I wonder if a poll like that has ever been taken by Gallop or one of those companies.

Agree on? Yeah, I agree.

I know if I'd just sold my soul to the devil, I'd be disappointed not to be included in that group. How about Robert Johnson? I don't think there is a guitarist alive that wouldn't agree on Jeff Beck, Chet Atkins, or Segovia. And there's a hundred more who are solid, whether you like their music or not- eg Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, Mark Knoffler.

I'm surprised it took this many posts before someone mentioned Mark Knopfler.

I agree with all the rest (at least those with whom I'm familiar), but Knopfler sticks out in my mind. When I see and hear him play guitar, it's like he's speaking with his fingers. Fluid and effortless. Yes, like so many others.

Ahh the question that can never be answered.

Even if you could line them all up (impossible because so many have passed) and had a competition, what would we judge them on?

Speed? Accuracy? Riff creativity? Rock n roller stance? Type of guitar he plays? Type of cigs he smokes?

OK I'll play.

Hendrix

Whether or not you like him doesn't matter. In fact I own his best of album and thats enough but he's the guy that brought the lead guitar to the masses. He changed the game as far as how the instrument was used live and in the studio. Read up on how any of the other musicians of the late 60s felt about Jimi. I'm talkin about the guys that were there.

Who knows were he'd have gone if he had lived but it sure would've been cool to see him and Clapton, Beck, and Page all sitting around and talking bout the old days.

Who knows were he'd have gone if he had lived but it sure would've been cool to see him and Clapton, Beck, and Page all sitting around and talking bout the old days.

I could envision being a jazz guitarist if he was still around.

You, my friend, have some great guitar to discover-Joe Pass is a God-Listen to his "Yesterday"{the beatles} on Virtuoso #4-t'will blow you away-then check out his videos on Arlen Roth's Hot Licks-I downloaded mine from my local library-and then spend $60 like I did last week on cds to listen to the Master-Larry

Yquote name='Rocky4' timestamp='1282907374' post='725406']

II think the guitar player should be one we're all familiar with. Outside of Rheinhardt, I've heard little of the other two. I actually thought Joe Pass was a bassist.

JOHN FAHEY-His guitar playing has been a vast influence on anyone who played American Primitive guitar as he called it-Since the early sixties his blend of everything wrapped around the greatest thumb in guitar can be heard in the fingers of all those trying to make the instrument sing-Larry

I think it would be easier for us to agree on what is the best note.

C is the middle of the road don't ya know?

We could try and agree on a chord - Cm is the saddest chord in the world.

LOL!!! I heard Metallica invented the Z chord!!! Its the angriest and it rings forever!!!!

Archived