Gibson Brands Forums

Female Singers

Rocky4

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe i'm the 1st one to mention the hardest rockin' woman in the biz.....

Joan Jett !!!!

The 1st time I saw her live, I was in the front row in an indoor college venue, she came out and actually grabbed several peoples hands, including mine (this was back when performers felt safe without a security patrol around them)......

The 2nd time, she opened for Aerosmith, and she out-rocked them !

Last time was 8/08 opening for Def Leppard......great show, she didn't BEST them, but surely equalled them.

2: In my experience most ladies can cover more material, and are not afraid to sing male tunes; how many guys will sing chick tunes? I have yet to meet a guy willing to do that.

[biggrin]

I have an exception, and once again my example is related to Gram Parsons...

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YQ7O0Z7S0

Ended up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aobPGoGxrME

Now, I like it, but as always YMMV.

All fine choices for sure but you guys are forgetting the most powerful female voice in rock n roll.

Yoko Ono

She convinced John Lennon to quit his band.

eusa_wall.gif

I might venture to suggest that Yoko makes an awful noise

But is astute in all her financial dealings.....

Cyndi Lauper?

No?

Okay, fine.

Yeah, her 'act' was kinda a joke in the 80s but a couple years ago she did a concert (saw it on tv, not 'there') and she looked normal enough, none of the 80s getup, and she did some cover songs aside from her 80s hits. I was amazed at what a voice she had once she got away from the 80s pink "caught in a weedwhacker' hair and the stage persona that went with it. Maybe she had that voice all along, or maybe it was 25 years of refining.

But Nancy Wilson excites me on all levels. I'm 50 so I can't call her a cougar; she's a contemporary.

Kristen Hirsh

There's a blast from the past. Got heavy in to Throwing Muses in high school. University is an amazing record. Helps that she is crazy. Crazy people make great music. Ask Syd Barrett.

btw its Hersh, not Hirsh.

On a personal view of this thread I would rather work with a female singer than a guy for a few reasons.

3: I have yet to meet a male who can cover Zep tunes, even Plant can't hit his own notes live; but a woman (like Ann Wilson) can do it with no problems.

Glad to see Ann Wilson there but what about Nancy Wilson.

There is actually a local singer/musician that I know and go to see frequently and have actually jammed with, who can cover LZ very well. In fact when I go see his concerts, if I close my eyes, I can almost imagine I'm at a LZ concert. His name is Farrell Webber and his band is Houses of the Holy.

+1 on Nancy Wilson... [biggrin]

The Alison Krauss/Robert Plant CD is outstanding.

I can't believe I missed her!!!

Yeah, she's incredible.

I don't like high, shrill or whiney voices so it took me awhile to listen to her.

I got their album New Favourite in 2003 and I was floored!

Got me to finally take a serious look at Bluegrass, and Jerry Douglas is the Dobro GOD.

I've always loved Dobro - in any kind of music.

Really cool when you slip a Bluegrass instrument into the Blues and slide that into a good rock song.

Bad Seamstress Blues by Cinderella on Long Cold Winter.

Good Times Gone by (of all bands) Nickelback - Ian Thornley was the guy's name if I recall.

Eh, I was dating a lady back then who was a huge fan.

I was sick of her and all that pop stuff.

This was supposedly an adult alternative to Tiffany and Debbie Gibson.

Great voice I suppose, but not one I woulda considered...

But hey, that's what a forum is for!!!

[thumbup]

There's a blast from the past. Got heavy in to Throwing Muses in high school. University is an amazing record. Helps that she is crazy. Crazy people make great music. Ask Syd Barrett.

btw its Hersh, not Hirsh.

oops sorry. Have you checked out any 50 Foot Wave? My current favorite album is Golden Ocean.

Sarah McClachlans' Possesion is a great album

meanwhile.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIdyYAMDWHI&feature=related

Archived