Gibson Brands Forums

"Van Halen is Overrated"

cjlandry

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, Van Halen IS overrated.

Old news ..... hardly worthy of discussion.

Being a capable player, in the right place at

the right time. You can never take that away

from him, and it's a waste of time wondering

who else was overlooked, cuz thaz how the

planet spins.

It's the job of a celeb to become overrated,

so props as well for a job well done. Plenty

more evidence of this will follow, I'm sure,

as the thread grows ......

Nevertheless, kudos, EVH. Job well done.

`

Not overrated at all. When their first album came out, it was like a bomb went off and every single rock guitarist either went back to the woodshed or quit. EVH totally changed rock guitar much the same as Hendrix did back in the 60's. I can see why people would take him for granted today as there are a lot great guitar players doing what EVH did back then - only they're imitating what he did either directly or indirectly.

If you could write and play something like Eruption before your 18th birthday you're welcome to knock him.

He moved playing to another level for the masses. That's top hat in my book.

You pretty much summed it up in a nutshell.

I was there when Eddie hit the scene and there was this big buzz around the L.A scene during the mid to late 70s about this cat doing crazy stuff on the guitar and getting these awsome tone. Then when Van Halen 1 came out, the whole world was exposed to Eddie's playing as showcased on "Euruption". No one.......No one and I mean no one played and had that tone back then. He revolutionized how guitar was to be played and it started the whole whammy bar dive bomb and Marshall modification craze that pretty much saturated the 80s. Musci companies like Charvel Jackson and Amplifier modders like Jose Areedono, Paul Revera, Lee Jackson, Frank Levi and yes Mike Soldano got so popular to get that brown sound and some of these modders to this day now have their own line of amps. Floyd rose is also another legacy of Eddie's. Not since JimI Hendrix has anyone been so influential in so many areas. So, I don't believe Eddie is over rated indeed. I think the people who feel he is are probably too young or were never born to experienced what this man had contributed or never took up guitar until much later. Give credit where its due.

... Not since JimI Hendrix has anyone been so influential in so many areas. So, I don't believe Eddie is underated indeed. I think the people who feel he is are probably too young or were never born to experienced what this man had contributed or never took up guitar until much later. Give credit where its due.

Great points. Let me just add, the Frankenstrat/Super-Strat/Shredder. Yep, the super-strats and shredders that are still all over the market all came about from Eddie's self built heavily modified Frankenstrat. His influence on guitar build, guitar hardware, guitar electronics, amplification, and last but not least, playing technique (shred, hammer, trem) is all well documented.

> EVH is my second favorite modder of all time, next to Les Paul. B)

No, Van Halen IS overrated.

Beat it solo = Genre crossing

Eruption solo = Jaw dropping

Frankenstrat = Revolutionary!!

Im not even that big a fan of van halen, but what he did with that strat tinkering and his tone changed rock and people tried to sandpaper their guitars for years wanting his tone. That doesnt sound to me someone who is underrated, he was someone creative, innovative and his guitar has become an urban legend of sorts in and of itself.

His legend is unquestionably set as one of the greatest guitar players and innovators of his time.

Im not saying he wasnt an icon in his day, im saying the style is old and dated now. He needs to reinvent himself, but I truly believe theres no more gas in the tank.

I respect him as a guitar player, but he bores me now.

Does Joe Satriani, Slash, Buckethead, Steve Vai etc bore you? Because their style has EVH through and through it.

When I first heard him I thought it was fake. I couldn't believe someone could play like that. We had Iommi, Page, Clapton etc before that.

I'm sure if he wanted to he could move the game on further. But he's proved himself. He doesn't need to do any more than he's done.

Whenever I see a new player I see EVH in them. I hear Les Paul in the recording and effects. There's not much new to hear.

Just like the sex film trade. It's all been done. It's just a variation on a theme now.

ps. The only player I can find that moves me now is Buckethead. I've only come accross him this week(I'm 51)and he's a stunning player in my eyes. He's fresh as well. An entertainer.

.......... He revolutionized how guitar was to be played and

it started the whole whammy bar dive bomb and Marshall

modification craze that pretty much saturated the 80s.

....... Not since JimI Hendrix has anyone been so influential

in so many areas. So, I don't believe Eddie is underated ...

Can't help but whole heartedly agree. Jeez, what

would the 80's have been without Van Halen .....

Would we still reminisce about 80's popular music

as being such a pinnacle ? Surely, he made that

era into what we all remember only too well !

....... and unfortunately, Van Halen and Hendrix

both were most definitely very influential.

I don't know if you ever heard Hendrix. I did. But I

didn't pay extreme attention however, cuz nobody

told me that the boring crap coming from the stage

was soon to be of cultish historical significance.

Van Halen I've only heard canned versions, and it's

just more Hendrix ... plus, as you pointed out, a

lotta divebombed modded Marshall sounds. [Yawn]

`

Hmmm, is Van Halen Overrated, maybe not. He might be one of those guys that gets credit where credit is due. Personally I never found Eruption to be all that impressive (Solo Flight by Charlie Christian had already blown my mind), I was more impressed by his leads within songs. I would say he imploded under the weight of his own ego.

On Topic, Misunderstood Van Halen Lyrics....

"Guido..Guido Will Rise,

"I said, Lock Jaw!"

If you could write and play something like Eruption before your 18th birthday you're welcome to knock him.

He moved playing to another level for the masses. That's top hat in my book.

Just a misheard lyric.

Funny, though!

I'm a big fan of Ed.

I also envy his relationship with Valerie. (schwing!)

Archived