Gibson Brands Forums

Case or no Case?

Spot

When not in my hands being played, in the case she goes! (after wiping down any smudges or fingerprints, of course!)

I'm with you... I live in California, and I always worry about an earthquake making something fall on my guitars, so they're in cases unless I'm using them....(and of COURSE I always wipe them off!)

Mine is cased before I retire to slumber. I used to leave it (them) out on a stand or hanging on the wall. Then it occurred to me that in the event of fire or other such calamity it would be more likely that I could grab the case and run much quicker than if I had to case it first. Might be a lost cause anyway, but cased and ready to rumble at least holds out the possibility of rescue.

Mine is cased before I retire to slumber. I used to leave it (them) out on a stand or hanging on the wall. Then it occurred to me that in the event of fire or other such calamity it would be more likely that I could grab the case and run much quicker than if I had to case it first. Might be a lost cause anyway, but cased and ready to rumble at least holds out the possibility of rescue.

That must be why I do it, too. (Hey, maybe that's where the phrase "just in case" comes from! [rolleyes])

There's just something about tucking it in at night...

When not in my hands being played, in the case she goes! (after wiping down any smudges or fingerprints, of course!)

I'm with Larry, for the most part. I have something like 40 + guitars, and the majority stay in their cases. There are a few I leave out so I can pick up any time. I rotate each of the others out of their cases and on to a stand every couple of days, and play that the majority of the time while it's out.

Red 333

I have my less expensive Washburn Parlor and my Les Paul always out in wall hangers for easy grab and play during the week. Friday night I pick one of my nice guitars and put it in a stand for the weekend...then Sunday back in the case it goes. All other stay in their cases unless I decide to play them.

So even the 50-50 poll choice wasn't perfectly accurate for me.....but that was the closest.

It is all a balance between threats vs. convenience.

I'm with Larry, for the most part. I have something like 40 + guitars, and the majority stay in their cases. There are a few I leave out so I can pick up any time. I rotate each of the others out of their cases and on to a stand every couple of days, and play that the majority of the time while it's out.

Red 333

Ah, Red..... a picker after my own heart! I'm just about to buy my 10th.... I know when I bring it home it'll go over like a truckload of dead babies on Mother's Day, but I really want this one!

Archived