Gibson Brands Forums

What Was Your First Concert

MrNylon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farnsbarns

1972, Allman Bros., Elvin Bishop, et.al. Memorial Stadium, Charlotte, NC

First post in the thread that makes me truly jealous.

I hadda think about this a bit... largely because "concert" and "big name" aren't necessarily the same thing.

First "big name" probably was Shep Fields in '58. He had a big band and "ripplin' rhythm" was the theme. My folks thought he was super.

Then summer of '62 in the Boston Public Gardens were the Clancy Bros. and Tommy Makem while Dad was in grad school in Cambridge. Also that summer a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta HMS Pinafore. Oddly that summer I was hanging out a lot at the Club 47 in Cambridge's Harvard Square where a lotta the big name folkies were playing - but it was not a big "concert" venue but rather a coffee house, so...

Spring of '64 in Iowa... Sunnyland Slim's blues band, Ian and Sylvia, New Lost City Ramblers, Gary Davis, 9-string picker Big Joe Williams... etc. That same "college" school year as I recall the duke and the count both played. Summer of '65 Carlos Montoya. That same summer I actually did my one-song gig at a benefit for a bigger crowd than the Montoya concert which was a shame. But... it even got me on a television show, the idea of which now embarrasses me a bit and scared me to death at the time.

After that it was pretty much going where I was paid to take pix and write stories, so I don't count 'em.

m

Marc Bolan & T.Rex at the Glasgow Apollo 1974, and he played a les paul [thumbup] Gibson made a replica. I was well impressed i was still at high school.

My first was T Rex in 72 at the Birmingham town hall. Jeepster had just been released. Great.

I'm trying to remember my very first one, but I think it was the Charlie Daniels Volunteer Jam in Nashville, about 1980 or 1981. Back then, Charlie didn't release the guest list. I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn, Molly Hatchet, Ted Nugent, and lots of others. Quite a show.

actually wait... I said Metallica was my first concert, that's wrong. When I was 7 my mother flew me up to Toronto for a week and one of the things I got to see was Michael Jackson at the Exibition Stadium. It was either the tour for the Thriller album or the one after that.

First concert I can remember being at I played trumpet in the school band for a concert when I was about 11.

First concert I saw may have been with Dad at a classical concert.

First big act I can remember seeing was Osborne Osborne about a month after Randy Rhodes died.

I was adopted, and I hope that some time in '67 or '68, Bio-Mom went to see Jefferson Airplane while I was in the womb. That would have been cool. Maybe that is why I like Jack Casadys bass playing so much. Ha! Ha!

Archived