Gibson Brands Forums

What Was Your First Concert

MrNylon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first concert was at Griffith Park in L.A. I think around 1965-66. In those days every weekend at Griffith Park was pretty much a Hippy peace and love gathering. Big name bands used to just show up and play for free. On that Saturday Jefferson Airplane showed up and I discovered the wonders of Grace Slicks incredible voice. Then the L.A.P.D. riot squad arrived and began beating the crap out of people for looking funny and acting strange. I wound up against a fence with a shotgun stuck in my face. I was never really into the Hippy thing myself but I think it's hard for people today to comprehend how uptight and rigid the mentality was back in those days.

Blue Oyster Cult around 1982/83. Aldo Nova was the openening band. I was probably the youngest person there.

I, too saw Aldo Nova and BOC in concert together! That was back when BOC still did the

Laser light shows.

My FIRST concert was....."BLOODROCK" around '74 or '75! Their hit at the time was "D.O.A.". Listening to the tune nowdays kinda creeps me out......

My first Concert, was "The Beatles," Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO...August 21, 1966. Couldn't hear a thing, save some of Paul's

intros...as the first note they hit, the sceaming would be so

loud, it would drown out, the music. But, as a "happening," or

"life experience," it was (here's that word, again)...Awesome! ;>)

CB

• 10 months later...

I went to Great Big Sea in 2009 concert here in Halifax for my first concert. My then girlfriend now fiancee bought the tickets as a Christmas present because I somehow forgot they were coming. I saw a commercial on the 22nd of December and told her we should go then went down to my room, she looked to my parents panicked and was like "don't let him buy tickets!"

It was an awesome present and special that I could share it with her, the concert did not disappoint! If you ever get a chance to see Great Big Sea, do it, or I will be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0SpwEdU5ak

for me it was An Evening With Metallica at the Moncton Coliseum in Moncton NB Canada in January 1993.

The group was banned from the city for 5 years after trashing a pair of hotel rooms (they knocked down a wall between 2 rooms and tv's were ejected from a window) and the fans rioted after the show in Janaury 1988.

They came back on the first night after the ban was lifted and got themselves banned again that night because they were ordered to shut the show down by 11pm and they decided to play until midnight after starting an hour late. The city didn't dare pull the plug at 11pm because they were concerned about causing another riot if they forced the show to end.

Metallica never once mentioned the previous visit to Moncton despite it being mentioned on Much Music in 1989 as being the most memorable and fun show of that tour for them. But they did go out of their way to let city officials know they had no intention of stopping their show until they were finished their entire set, which included 3 encores.

We got treated to a 4 hour show from 8pm to midnight; just Metallica, no opening act. :)

Archived