Gibson Brands Forums

Reinventing music?

cjlandry

I often read (and subsequently hear) about how some new artist, band, or genre is "on the cutting edge", but I'm seldom impressed.

I think that a few artists have made break-throughs over the years, but I don't think they've stumbled far from the origins of rock-n-roll, blues, or jazz.

There is still some fantastic new music appearing on the scene, but nothing, lately, has made me think "this is AMAZING!".

The most recent artist I've really liked was Tom Morello, and I really didn't like Rage Against the Machine. I just really like what he does, as an individual artist. He impresses me. Most aren't even close.

I often read (and subsequently hear) about how some new artist, band, or genre is "on the cutting edge", but I'm seldom impressed.

I think that a few artists have made break-throughs over the years, but I don't think they've stumbled far from the origins of rock-n-roll, blues, or jazz.

There is still some fantastic new music appearing on the scene, but nothing, lately, has made me think "this is AMAZING!".

The most recent artist I've really liked was Tom Morello, and I really didn't like Rage Against the Machine. I just really like what he does, as an individual artist. He impresses me. Most aren't even close.

What do you think of Jack White? I saw "It may get loud in here" and was agast that he was there with Jimmy Page and The Edge but after thinking about it for awhile, I realized I was just jealous. The guy is obviously innovative.

What do you think of Jack White? I saw "It may get loud in here" and was agast that he was there with Jimmy Page and The Edge but after thinking about it for awhile, I realized I was just jealous. The guy is obviously innovative.

Jack White is not very innovative, because he is definitely not the first person to ever do a bad imitation of Son House.

Why would I minus you for your taste in music? Now if you're into the Partridge Family...

Actually I don't care for Jack White, I was just saying that he must be innovative because he was picked to play with Jimmy Page so I figured he must be turning heads. Partridge family not their music but I did have a crush on Susan Day back then. [rolleyes]

Society jumps on new performers, and the next thing you hear about them, they are the greatest. The majority of these wonders to the world never have shown or proven that they are even close to masters of the past. Or not so past masters even.

Jack White is not very innovative, because he is definitely not the first person to ever do a bad imitation of Son House.

Yeah... not really. First of all, listen to his playing. If you say the music that he plays is just a bad imitation of Son House, you are ridiculous. Second of all, besides for the music that he personally plays, he has come out with a great deal of inventions including the "triple decker" record. look it up and tell me he isn't innovative.

Geez...

No one really re-invents music, they may have a new way of expressing musically, but music was invented a long time ago.

[thumbup]

I'd also say that this fixation with "New" and "Cutting Edge" is causing us to ignore Good Music simply because the Artist has been established for 5 years or more.

Actually I don't care for Jack White, I was just saying that he must be innovative because he was picked to play with Jimmy Page so I figured he must be turning heads. Partridge family not their music but I did have a crush on Susan Day back then. [rolleyes]

Yes. Susan Day. Mmmmmmmm....

Honestly, I don't get to hear all the new stuff. I listen to SiriusXM when I'm in the US, and whichever radio station sounds good at the moment while driving in Italy. I'm not familiar with Jack White.

I think grampa and FirstMeasure got it right.

Any links for Jack White? I'd like to hear.

Yeah... not really. First of all, listen to his playing. If you say the music that he plays is just a bad imitation of Son House, you are ridiculous. Second of all, besides for the music that he personally plays, he has come out with a great deal of inventions including the "triple decker" record. look it up and tell me he isn't innovative.

Geez...

Actually...

I only said it because I knew you'd get all surly and blustery. You did.

http://www.whitestripes.com/home/home.html

And check out "White Stripes" and "Raconteurs" on youtube. Lot's of stuff. Very good!

As far as music "on the cutting edge":

IMO that's just marketing BS, a meaningless advertising slogan comparable to "New and Improved". Think about it: How many times is new and improved toothpaste, dog food, toilet paper, etc. really "new" or "improved"?

Yes. Susan Day. Mmmmmmmm....

Honestly, I don't get to hear all the new stuff. I listen to SiriusXM when I'm in the US, and whichever radio station sounds good at the moment while driving in Italy. I'm not familiar with Jack White.

I think grampa and FirstMeasure got it right.

Check out the movie with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White called "It might get loud in here". It's worth it.

It's an ongoing challenge for writers and musicians to create something original....IMO most music is a rehash of something that already exists, whether blues, r&r, pop or classical. Every now and again something fresh emerges and everybody shouts hurrah ! Since the 1990's we have had to learn to cope with computer music...sampling/rap/rave/hip hop etc. The 'remix' culture seems well established, just an excuse for lack of creativity....and sadly, big money pop music now relies on video support to distract the listener from the mediocre musical content.

Have I missed anything? [confused]

:-({|=

So much of what passes for popular music today is the same basic beat/ backing track without any form of memorable melody.

Just vocal warm up gymnastics layered over top of boring repetitive chord progressions.

Like its counterpart prime time television, neither effect me anymore.

So much of what passes for popular music today is the same basic beat/ backing track without any form of memorable melody.

Just vocal warm up gymnastics layered over top of boring repetitive chord progressions.

Like its counterpart prime time television, neither effect me anymore.

Yep. And then you have artist like Black Eyed Pea's who don't even try to write lyrics with any kind of stanza. They just repeat a word as many times as they need to make it fit.

http://www.whitestripes.com/home/home.html

And check out "White Stripes" and "Raconteurs" on youtube. Lot's of stuff. Very good!

As far as music "on the cutting edge":

IMO that's just marketing BS, a meaningless advertising slogan comparable to "New and Improved". Think about it: How many times is new and improved toothpaste, dog food, toilet paper, etc. really "new" or "improved"?

Oh, I don't know. Have you tried the latest in dog foods? They're quite good. [biggrin]

Thanks for the link. [thumbup]

Archived