Gibson Brands Forums

How much sleep do you average a night?

heymisterk

A good night's sleep is supposed to keep you all healthy and stuff. I try to get the suggested 7-8 hours that an adult should get, but mostly get between 6-7, which is much better than some of my friends. Sometimes I can't sleep because I don't have the time, but mostly I can't sleep because I am thinking/analyzing/plotting my next day(s).

Not enough sleep.

When I lie in bed at night I have a tendency to begin thinking about all that I see as "wrong" with me--in other words, I mope when I get into bed. I end up staying up whole nights and then into the morning and attending class on no sleep. Then I come back after my first few classes, and I take the several hours between classes to nap. These naps might be anywhere from one to three hours, depending on how well I use my time. In fact, I should be napping right now. After class, it's guitar, then dinner, then homework, then guitar, then I might do some leisure reading or watch a movie or hang out with friends. Then I try to go to bed, but I end up staying awake into the morning, agonizing over something or other. I'll get up several times during the night and try to occupy my mind until sleep takes over, but it never does. I'm basically an insomniac right now. I won't take anything for it because I don't want to develop any sort of usage habits, so I usually use my weekends to catch up on sleep. It's very, incredibly unhealthy, but I think in time it will work itself out and I'll be back to getting (almost) enough sleep at night. I didn't ask for insomnia--I mean, I love sleep. I love it so, so very much. I've been trying some things out and researching some different stuff, and last night I actually got about seven hours, so it is starting to get resolved, luckily. I just hope I can continue to sleep better.

I think, when I go on Thanksgiving break this month, I'll do two things: sleep and eat. Just gimme a pillow and a plate of turkey!

I think its funny when people brag about how little sleep they "need"...like its a badge of honor to only sleep for 3 hours/night.

I get about 7/night usually....maybe 6 on the weekends...

Ugh, I know, right?

"Hey guys--know how little I slept last night? Yeah, two hours. I'm hardcore, like Chuck Norris."

Meanwhile I'm sitting there, thinking to myself, this guy is a complete tool. Chuck Norris would never brag about sleep deprivation.

I want more sleep in my life. Sleep is a good friend from back in the day, who I don't see nearly enough of anymore.

Usually, I go to bed around 10pm to 11pm then wake up at random intervals until about 5am. then I stare at the ceiling and contemplate too many things in life and worries I have until about 6am. Go take a shower, and then go to school. I probably have sleep apnea or something like that, maybe I should get sleeping pills so I can become addicted

I've learned that there's no such thing as making up for lost sleep.

When I get beyond my comfort zone, I remind myself that a 3 or 4 hour nap is usually enough to disrupt the normal sleep cycle (like on a weekend afternoon), and can usually convince myself that that'll be enough until things get back to normal.

Works for me.

Usually during the week I try to get 6 1/2 to 7 hours a night. On weekends I try to get 8 or more to catch up when I can.

That's what I try for. Last night though I went to see a band called Autumn Defense, made up of two guys from Wilco...Concert + Beers + 5:00 rise time = Less than five hours of sleep. That's unusual for me though.

I like this question. Im a high school senior so it can depend. Most nights its about midnight to 7. Some nights I work so I do my homework (although it is not much) in the morning so its closer to midnight to 6-6:30. Weekends are a complete toss up. Usually its bed by 1-2 and up by 10 at the latest but that all can change.

Sometimes ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ, sometimes zzzzzzzzz, often ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, but under stress, ZZZzz, occationally, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, less in the summer when it can be around zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz..................[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [scared] :unsure: ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz............zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........[scared][razz]eusa_clap.gif

I've concluded that sleep "needs" very much depend on several factors such as a steady weekly schedule and degree of stress.

For example, until about 2 years ago, I used to plan on a Monday that ran from 0830 (a.m.) to roughly 1900-2200 (7 p.m. to 10 p.m.) Tuesday, then a long Short Wednesday... etc., etc. Then a an 0830 Thursday to around 0300 Friday morning, and back to it at 08:30 Friday morning. Sleep to 9 or so Saturday, work Sat. afternoon and early evening, stay up to midnight, then back to work Sunday afternoon and possibly early evening.

That still was less stress than some shorter hours now - so I feel like I want more sleep and "down time" on weekends.

My brother used to swing police patrol shifts every three weeks, and it seemed that no matter how many hours he technically got, he always seemed more tired than he does now with more of a 9 to 5 weekday type of skeddie.

m

Archived