Gibson Brands Forums

Our "Cheap" Guitars, and Why We Love Them

damian

Many of us have collections of guitars. Most of us have at least one Gibby in our collection. A collection may include between three and one hundred plus guitars;

From a genuine 1959 LP Original to an unknown hack job useless slab electric; in our collections, we all keep at least one prized 'loser' guitar, and often more than one in our collection: We treasure them, and sometimes compare them to our best and most expensive guitars, and yet, for one reason or another, we will never part with them. Lets share our stories and memories of these ' lesser ' guitars we keep forever, and stories of our ' lesser ' guitars which we let go of; why, and / or / and how it happened.....Lets have fun, explore the memories, and lets go !!!

Yeah !!!! I love them both !!!! Sweeet !!!!!

The first one was made out of the ugiliest V guitar, and the pickups in it sound really nice, the body is poplar btw (cheap and has a good paint grade.) but it sounds really nice.

The latter of the two was an ugly purple first act we got for 50 bucks.

P1040078.jpg

Believe me, the purple was much uglier in person. It was like a "sparkle" kind of paintjob

OH and this was only $100 I have two of them, one currrently I'm painted, they were on sale, its a set neck with a mahogany body, the pickups were replaced with Kent armstrongs

Well the picture doesn't have the new ones but you can see why I swapped them.

P1040127.jpg

OK....

Cheap guitars.... I haz them!

Ibanez Exotic Wood- less than $240

070608004.jpg

It simply sprang to life in my hands. Sam Ash had it mislabled as an acoustic electric, I pointed out that it was not, so the dude gave me a nice discount for catching the error.

Keeping with the acoustic theme....

Hondo 12 string--$50 and a Yamaha FG 75

070608014.jpg

I've not yet found a 12 string that beats it in playability or sound....

But the REAL cheap axe I'll likely never part with....

1983 Fender Elite Strat---$75 complete with HS case:

070608001.jpg

A guy I knew was rear ended by someone who's Dad owned a music store. He gave him a LP, this Strat and a Gretsch. Needless to say, he sold the LP, which paid for the damage to his car and left him the other 2 free and clear.

I think I bought this Squier Affinity around 2001 or 2002 for $60. I added Gotoh tuners, a bone nut, and the decal. I hate to admit it but the neck and fretwork are perfect. The pickups don't really sound like a typical glassy piercing Strat, they're thicker and fuller (not necessarily a plus for a Strat purist I guess). The only dumb things that I've griped about are 'iffy' controls that I can't keep clean or that actually loosen up.

I despise the color and the thinner Affinity body. I would be tempted to put the neck and pickups in a MIM Fender body, it just hasn't been a priority.

newsquier.jpg

squierhs.jpg

Here is mine, (behind the SG).

s790998190_542474_9982.jpg

It was my first classical guitar and a c.1986 Admira Desiree. It was only about £80 and I loved it. I didn't play it for years then came to do my guitar Licentiate in 2000 and used it for Barrios' piece 'The Cathedral'.

It's tone just suited that piece. So I have a sub £200 guitar to not only thank for doing my first two grade exams on, but also for helping me pass my Licentiate all those years later; when 'better' gear couldn't give me 'that sound' I was seeking for Barrios!

Matt

Here is mine ... It was my first classical guitar and a c.1986 Admira Desiree. It was only about £80 and I loved it. ...

Nice keeper. Matt, you reminded me - Back in the 70s, my inlaws gave me a 1973 Yamaha G-55A Classical cheapie with laminate b/s and cedar top back. It's a parlor size, so I've kept it around all these years because anytime I'm working on something at the desk, I use the Yamaha - it's small and I don't mind if it gets bumped. Funny thing is, the old this thing gets, the better it sounds. It's got quite the mellow tone now.

1973YamahaG-55Asm.jpg

p1_uzyq5ounh_so.jpg

MY Favorite ACOUSTIC EVER!!

A Yamaha FG-130 Green Label (1972)

Couple hundred bucks...plays better than any other acoustic I have ever played *minus the Gibson L-00 I FOOLISHLY got rid of a few years back!

You live and learn I suppose...all I did to this was swap the saddle out for one made of bone and got new endpins made of ebony...

KILLER!

Oh and this is where it hurts... In the late 90's I bought an epiphone del rey in a very unusual pinkish colour, OBL pickups etc etc. I kept it a few years then traded it in. Its the only guitar I have ever owned that I have regretted getting rid of. Especially now when its hard to find one of the first ones like mine was.

This guitar wasnt overly expensive but had a fantastic sound and you may not believe it but it was the best of the del rey colours and not common. It had people pay attention as soon as it came out of the case. I played a couple gigs with it and recorded with it and like i said, FOOLISHLY got rid.

Its the one guitar i want epiphone to bring back, i would love to see it with gibson on the headstock but i dread to think how much more expensive it would be..

I'm poor, so my "cheap" guitar is also one of my two main guitars. I use it at every show and record with it. It kicks a$!!!!! It's a 1998 Korean made Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus Top. There is not one part on it that hasn't been replaced. Some of you who have been here a really long time might remember when I was refinishing it. It used to be a tobacco burst. I also have added a Bigsby, a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and two custom made pickups made by a friend. They both sound amazing! In the picture the P90 is in the middle put it's actually traded position with the neck humbucker and is there now. But other then that this is it's current condition. msp_thumbup.gif

post-3530-075294700 1290204756_thumb.jpg

post-3530-088317700 1290204842_thumb.jpg

P.S. When I first got it from craigslist it was 99 bucks! msp_biggrin.gif

I don't have many really cheap guitars anymore I guess the loser in my collection would be a Yamaha AES820 they were in the $400-$500 range when they sold them 8-10 years ago, and it's also a ugly matte blue color but it's actually a very good guitar has custom wound Dimarzio pickups a three way selector rotary switch and a great growl. I also have a Washburn Idol I guess it would count it's only a $700 dollar guitar.

f3_12_sb.jpg

I'm not sure any of my guitars would be considered beyond "cheap," depending on one's definition and whatever the market might be for 35-y-o guitars of various brands and styles. Then ... is a new Epi Dot "cheap?" I certainly plays very well...

I guess the bottom line on that is that I think if a given player considers a guitar has good playability for him/her, it's something to be valued regardless what it might have cost "new" or in a current used guitar marketplace.

OTOH, when I started playing my first guitar was a very low quality classical guitar that didn't even play all that well, but still was sufficiently playable for me to keep working at it. I'm sure it's been trashed for well over 45 years. The second guitar was a Harmony classical that actually played quite well but was typically overengineered and sounded clunky. Soon after that one came a Stella 12-string that similarly was overengineered but looked decent if you refinished it and played decently too - at least if it were capoed up a cupla frets.

I won't even get into the "how stupid I was for trading this and that" game, but I'll add that with a little work, I've gotten some very decent playability out of some technically horrid instruments in the 1968-75 era by putting some time into them. Given how some folks actually like some of the old Danelectros and such, I guess that reinforces my concept that playability rules. Well, that and fad looks.

The truly important thing to me is how it plays. I'll add that I have some skill, but no talent. I've heard people with real talent make some marvelous music on instruments that technically are cruddy...

m

Archived