Gibson Brands Forums

Today's the day for the Gold Top

Riverside

Well, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the '50s Tribute Studio Goldtop is scheduled to arrive today.

But I'm conflicted.

I wanted it really bad when I ordered it, heard much BS about what took so long, etc.

Got my rear all up in the air about the inability of the factory to deliver what they hyped so hard a long time ago... the pissiness prolly kept me from buying an SG Standard as well as more than one shiny LP.

The good part is that it kept the GAS at bay for a long time.

A part of me wants to want it, even still.

After having hands-on a Honey Burst one at the local Sam Ash, I cancelled an order for one of those... It was kind of trashy-looking (maybe some polish might have helped), but it had a four-piece back - ick.

What say the combined wisdom here?

After reading about five-piece backs and failed wiring out of the box, it could happen.

Failed wiring has mostly been attributed to a poorly chosen switch. Notwithstanding that, when they work, they work. As for the 5 piece back, while I'll admit it's not the prettiest thing I've seen (neither is the 4 piece GT I got from Guitar Center), they feel and sound awesome. The 3 piece back GT I got from Sam Ash is quite nice. And I am convinced that at least with the chambering, the multiple pieces do not adversely affect the sound or the resonance.

But it's really up to you. I've seen a lot of negativity from you in this thread, so it wouldn't surprise me for it not to stop once you finally received the guitar. But what I really think you should do (you created a poll to get our views, right? [wink] ) is to look it over and play it a bit. Simply give it an honest chance to be the guitar you'd hoped it would be. If it turns out not to be, selling it is a viable option.

2¢.

Thanks all for the input.

It has not arrived yet, and I suppose my previous bitterness on the topic has pre-disposed me to not like it.

However, an open mind is not a bad thing, I guess, and I appreciate hearing from folks who have had some previous experience.

I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

Waited over two years for my killer, badass, custom-ordered PRS.

I have to say it killed some of the joy.

I mean, it was incredible when it finally arrived but I never completely fell in love with it.

I can empathize.

Buddy of mine has been needling me to sell it since it arrived in 2007.

My quilt top would book-end his flame top nicely.

Thanks all for the input.

It has not arrived yet, and I suppose my previous bitterness on the topic has pre-disposed me to not like it.

However, an open mind is not a bad thing, I guess, and I appreciate hearing from folks who have had some previous experience.

I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

I don't know, Riverside...seems to me, your GAS for this guitar is over. I'd opt for

something you really DO want, at this point. I have the Gold Top version, and while

it's a nice guitar, if a bit less than I anticipated, finish wise...I find I don't really play

it much, in favor of my older "Faded" LP Double Cut (also, with P-90's). I think, in my

case, I was hoping for a bit more quality, in the Gold Top, than I ended up with. They

initially stated 2-piece backs (mine has 4), and the photos of the bare maple "binding"

alluded to a much more distinct/whiter, version..whereas mine has the stain all the way

to the gold top. So, as much as I still like the guitar, it (really) isn't what I thought

it would/should be, based on initial spec's and photos. That never sits very well, with me.

So, I'm in "limbo" right now, as to what to do with/about it. YOU know yourself best, as

to what you really want/need in a guitar...even with a bargain, as this certainly is. Do what

your heart tells you, at the time. If you have to talk yourself into liking it...send it

back, and get something you won't have to do that, with...IMHO.

Cheers,

CB

you'll never know unless you open it.

Now that I've had my quantum physics lesson for the day ( :lol: thanks for that) and I've just come from my first real bit of playing in over 6 weeks (worked insane hours the last month and a half), I have to suggest strongly that you give it a try. Obviously not everyone is in love with them, but a good number are.

I chose my Gold Top Studio 50s Tribute and my new Marshall Class 5 (first time I've really spent any time with the amp) and I have to say I am really impressed with both.

I had a discussion earlier today with Gibson Customer Service (considering my first Historic, looking at options) and they tell me these are indeed the very same P 90 pick ups that come in the R6. Granted, lots of other differences, but that is a very substantial plus for these inexpensive beauties. I know I was really digging the sounds they were putting in the air an hour ago!

The more I play mine, the more I like it. It feels like it's 'breaking in' each time a little more. The neck had some tackiness to it, but that's long gone, nice 11's with a wound 3rd make it chime and growl, and good to know about those P90's, they sound great out of a Blues Jr.

OK - I opened the box, and there were no dead cats.

Instead was an LP that looks a lot like everyone else's, but I'll post pics anyway, because I know how it goes.

First impressions - 3-piece back (which is better than I expected) made up of two large pieces, with just a half inch or so stuck on the cutout/bottom side. Fit and finish is better than I've seen on some, but for the life of me I don't understand the "wear" on the pickguard (looks like a single swipe of 220 grit sand paper) or on the controls cover (looks like the same sandpaper, but this time four fingertip width swipes.) There is no appearant "wear" on the top, neck, or back, but there is 1/2" sandpaper-swipe on the side. They could learn a lesson from that guy with the beltsander on the LP page. The fingerboard looks really nice. The pickguard material is pretty cheesy and it will prolly end up in the junk box if it stays around. The springs holding up the P-90s are a little weak - the pups are pretty high, and they flop around quite a bit. The switch feels kind of wimpy and wasn't installed straight.

I'll go over it some more tonight - needs a little setting up and intonation tweaking - and see how it sounds through the old Bandmaster.

(It hasn't been 8 months - only 5 1/2. But I can understand how having to have to read me carping about it made it seem longer.)

jzbI1.jpg

Q1gKZ.jpg

x2XqX.jpg

OK - I opened the box, and there were no dead cats.

Instead was an LP that looks a lot like everyone else's, but I'll post pics anyway, because I know how it goes.

First impressions - 3-piece back (which is better than I expected) made up of two large pieces, with just a half inch or so stuck on the cutout/bottom side. Fit and finish is better than I've seen on some, but for the life of me I don't understand the "wear" on the pickguard (looks like a single swipe of 220 grit sand paper) or on the controls cover (looks like the same sandpaper, but this time four fingertip width swipes.) There is no appearant "wear" on the top, neck, or back, but there is 1/2" sandpaper-swipe on the side. They could learn a lesson from that guy with the beltsander on the LP page. The fingerboard looks really nice. The pickguard material is pretty cheesy and it will prolly end up in the junk box if it stays around. The springs holding up the P-90s are a little weak - the pups are pretty high, and they flop around quite a bit. The switch feels kind of wimpy and wasn't installed straight.

I'll go over it some more tonight - needs a little setting up and intonation tweaking - and see how it sounds through the old Bandmaster.

(It hasn't been 8 months - only 5 1/2. But I can understand how having to have to read me carping about it made it seem longer.)

jzbI1.jpg

Q1gKZ.jpg

x2XqX.jpg

No Springs, Foam blocks.

And I am Glad there were no dead cats.

msp_flapper.gif

Archived