Gibson Brands Forums

Your First Gibson Guitar Or Bass

MrNylon

Hopefully pretty simple. What was your first Gibson guitar or bass? When you had it also if you can remember. Mine was a blue tone color SG Jr. guitar I bought in late 1968. Great guitar, wish I had hung on to it.

1986 Les Paul Standard in black - er, ebony.

Bought it used from a co-worker in 1993 - SECOND stamped on the back of the headstock.

Had it a few months, just couldn't warm up to it.

Sold it.

A few months later I bought a new 1993 - looked identical.

Buddy of mine in Texas bought it in 2000, still has it.

My first is my only. A 2005 Double Cut Gibson Les Paul Standard. I fell in love with Gibson about two years ago, but I couldn't afford them. So, I waited and waited until I had one catch my eye. I plan on buying a lot more. Love these damn guitars!

I forgot to include Gibson Banjos etc. My dad left me his 60 plus year old Gibson banjo with mother of pearl inlays on the fretboard. It was his first Gibson. They kinda' run in the family.

My first might not count as it was an Epi. But, it was made in the Kalamazoo Plant. It was a "63" Olympic (not the special)

Had the same body as the Wilshire. Bought it brand new. Wish I still had it.

First actual Gibson was a "76" L.P. Custom. Burgundy wine...Part of a limited run with nickel hardware instead of gold.

Weighs a ton.

Bought it new...Still got it...Still play it....Still looks and plays great.

Willy

I bought a well worn Cardinal Red 1965 Melody Maker single pup (double cut) in 1974 for $60. That price also included a 1964 Gibson Explorer GT18 amp. I eventually sold off the amp, but I still have the guitar. I did a heavy mod to a three pup setup.

Here's a shopped pic salvaged from a couple old pics -

First_Rig.jpg

65MMfront-1.jpg

My 1st Gibson was a non "scroll" mandolin that Dad gave me for my 12th b'day ('75) but I gave it back to him when I left home in '80, he played it more than I did anyhow...he later traded it for a fine revolver at a "flea market".

My 1st Gibson guitar was a '75 LPC natural finish 3-pc.top w/"gold" hardware......bought it"very gently" used for $600 w/OHSC in '81.

Played it first thru a Peavey "Nashville 400" amp, which I traded in for a "L.A. 400" with twin Black Widow 12" spkrs.

Sold the entire rig late in '83 to pay for divorcing my 1st wife. [unsure]

In 1976 I went to a friend's house and in a corner of a room there was a '56 Harmony archtop and a headless Gibson EB-2 bass in walnut, probably late 60s. No idea where the headstock went. I gave him $10 apiece for them. The harmony got swapped off somewhere. I had notions of putting a guitar neck on the EB2 body but never got around to it. It went in the trash a couple years later. I saved the big ol' chrome pickup and I think I gave it away in the late 80s.

Archived